$10.00
Recommend
159 
 Thumb up
 Hide
372 Posts
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [15] | 

Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Civilization: Total Graphic Redesign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: CIV [+] [View All]
Friedrich Gerring
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
Civilization: Total Graphic Redesign - Print and Play
i'm a noob to PnP, any suggestions? i've searched the forums for some sort of beginner's guide, finding some URLs:

http://www.boardgamesnow.com
http://www.odtinc.com
https://www.thegamecrafter.com
http://www.superiorpod.com
http://www.printerstudio.com
http://www.artscow.com
http://printplaygames.com
http://www.DriveThruCards.com

however, these sites don't seem to be oriented toward small jobs, such as for PnP.

for the gameboard, i'm considering 'premium canvas' via zazzle.com. a bit pricey, but evan's work warrants the expense - you really ought to sign it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
findthefritz wrote:
i'm a noob to PnP, any suggestions? i've searched the forums for some sort of beginner's guide, finding some URLs:

http://www.boardgamesnow.com
http://www.odtinc.com
https://www.thegamecrafter.com
http://www.superiorpod.com
http://www.printerstudio.com
http://www.artscow.com
http://printplaygames.com
http://www.DriveThruCards.com

however, these sites don't seem to be oriented toward small jobs, such as for PnP.

for the gameboard, i'm considering 'premium canvas' via zazzle.com. a bit pricey, but evan's work warrants the expense - you really ought to sign it.

I got this printed on premium canvas with Zazzle—the only thing I've ever put to canvas with them—and I don't regret it. But you should wait until one of their 50%- or 60%-off sales.

We played on it just last night, and it's a thing of beauty.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedrich Gerring
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
findthefritz wrote:
i'm a noob to PnP, any suggestions? i've searched the forums for some sort of beginner's guide, finding some URLs:

http://www.boardgamesnow.com
http://www.odtinc.com
https://www.thegamecrafter.com
http://www.superiorpod.com
http://www.printerstudio.com
http://www.artscow.com
http://printplaygames.com
http://www.DriveThruCards.com

however, these sites don't seem to be oriented toward small jobs, such as for PnP.

for the gameboard, i'm considering 'premium canvas' via zazzle.com. a bit pricey, but evan's work warrants the expense - you really ought to sign it.

I got this printed on premium canvas with Zazzle—the only thing I've ever put to canvas with them—and I don't regret it. But you should wait until one of their 50%- or 60%-off sales.

We played on it just last night, and it's a thing of beauty.


Thanks for the reply. Did you print the 4000 x 1867 pixels, 300 dpi version (from this thread) at 45" x 21", or is a there a larger version uploaded somewhere? i've scoured the thread, but didn't spot a link.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
findthefritz wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Did you print the 4000 x 1867 pixels, 300 dpi version (from this thread) at 45" x 21", or is a there a larger version uploaded somewhere? i've scoured the thread, but didn't spot a link.


I sent Jonathan the file early for all the of the help and input he'd given on the game. The links to the full maps will go up probably within the next week (I'll post them here).

I'm seeing a $300 price tag for a 45x21 canvas print at Zazzle right now. Even at 60% off that's still pricey! I'm honored you liked it enough to spend that much on it, Jonathan. modest
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedrich Gerring
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
derrickec wrote:
findthefritz wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Did you print the 4000 x 1867 pixels, 300 dpi version (from this thread) at 45" x 21", or is a there a larger version uploaded somewhere? i've scoured the thread, but didn't spot a link.


I sent Jonathan the file early for all the of the help and input he'd given on the game. The links to the full maps will go up probably within the next week (I'll post them here).

I'm seeing a $300 price tag for a 45x21 canvas print at Zazzle right now. Even at 60% off that's still pricey! I'm honored you liked it enough to spend that much on it, Jonathan. modest


hm, i ran the tool for Posters> Custom (45"x21")> Premium Canvas (Gloss) and got a quote of $98.70.

i'll keep a watch for the link, thanks for the great gameboard!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
findthefritz wrote:
i'm a noob to PnP, any suggestions? i've searched the forums for some sort of beginner's guide


Here's a list of all the supplies and tools I use, Friedrich.

You can print all the files yourself or you could taken them to an Office Depot type place with a print department and have them do it (that's what I did - I brought my own paper). Also, you could use one of the resources above if you don't want to put the game together yourself.

Finally, Andrew Tullsen prints games on demand, and he may offer this one at some point in the future (http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47270/print-play-productio...). You may have to wait a bit for that option, though.

CRUCIAL

8.5x11 Label Sheets (player mats, tokens, and gameboard files are all printed on label sheets and then applied to chipboard before cutting)
http://www.sheet-labels.com/labels/SL111VS

14-ply Chipboard
http://www.dickblick.com/products/all-purpose-chipboard/

Rotary Cutter (used for cutting chipboard)
http://www.dickblick.com/products/fiskars-rotary-cutter/

Xacto Knife Set (used for cutting cards or doing fine-trimming)
http://www.dickblick.com/products/x-acto-basic-knife-set/

Spray Glue (since I designed the fronts & backs of all the cards on a single sheet, I fold the sheet, spray the back with this glue, and then press together - it lines up the fronts and backs of the cards perfectly)
http://www.dickblick.com/products/elmers-craft-bond-multi-pu...

24 inch Stainless Steel Non-Skid Ruler
http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-non-skid-stainless-s...

Self-healing Cutting Mat
http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-cutting-mats/

NICE (but not necessary if you're just starting out)

11x17 Label Sheets (it's nice to have some of these but they're not necessary)
http://www.sheet-labels.com/labels/SL9111VS_1_Back_Slit

65lb Linen Cardstock (I make all my playing cards with this, but it is EXPENSIVE paper)
http://www.amazon.com/Southworth-Z550CK-Cotton-Business-Cove...

Corner Rounder (used for creating playing cards with rounded corners)
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-FCSP-7330-2-Inch-Corner-Squeez...

1 inch Arch Punch (used for creating circular tokens)
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-1271M-1-Inch-Punch/dp/B0...

3/4 inch Arch Punch
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-1271I-4-Inch-Punch/dp/B0...

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
findthefritz wrote:
hm, i ran the tool for Posters> Custom (45"x21")> Premium Canvas (Gloss) and got a quote of $98.70.

i'll keep a watch for the link, thanks for the great gameboard!


Ah, my quote was for the Wrapped Canvas Print, which, I guess, makes it into a painting you could hang on the wall.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
derrickec wrote:
findthefritz wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Did you print the 4000 x 1867 pixels, 300 dpi version (from this thread) at 45" x 21", or is a there a larger version uploaded somewhere? i've scoured the thread, but didn't spot a link.


I sent Jonathan the file early for all the of the help and input he'd given on the game. The links to the full maps will go up probably within the next week (I'll post them here).

I'm seeing a $300 price tag for a 45x21 canvas print at Zazzle right now. Even at 60% off that's still pricey! I'm honored you liked it enough to spend that much on it, Jonathan. modest

You may be seeing the framed version? I think I ended up spending $39.48 on it:

Qty. Price Discount Subtotal
1 $98.70 –$59.22 $39.48


I would have paid more, though, if necessary. It's really nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedrich Gerring
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
evan,

thanks much for the comprehensive PnP information, i'll definitely be giving punching round tokens a try.

not sure if i'll have the patience to wait for a zazzle sale, i suspect they'll be getting my $100 shortly.

cheers,
friedrich
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded the full-size maps to Google for those of you who want access to these monstrosities. There are two versions: 1 with the civilization start markings and game title, and 1 without. Only download the latter if your group are such advanced Civ players that they don't need to know where the start areas are.

Still waiting on the other files to be approved by the admins.

Full-size map WITH start markings and game title
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-miPrT4Mr79Tjc0TjhzdXpkZ1U/...

Full-size map WITHOUT start markings and game title
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-miPrT4Mr79enVNZGotMEFnUzg/...
11 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried using one of the office stores to print out on a vinyl banner? I'm not sure if they'd be the best choice for a map like this.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keep them coming and thanks for your contribution .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Mueller
United States
East Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was considering printing on a banner as you could roll it up for easy storage and it would still come out flat. I have to take a look at my table banner that I have and see what my options would be from the printer. A lot of local Printer's can make these banners and they are not that expensive. The advantage of a local printer is you can see what you will be getting before you buy.

I was also going to reformat the cards so that they fit on a standard deck of cards. If I do I will re post the files for use if Even is alright with that type of modification to his design.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedrich Gerring
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
derrickec wrote:
I've uploaded the full-size maps to Google for those of you who want access to these monstrosities. There are two versions: 1 with the civilization start markings and game title, and 1 without. Only download the latter if your group are such advanced Civ players that they don't need to know where the start areas are.

Still waiting on the other files to be approved by the admins.

Full-size map WITH start markings and game title
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-miPrT4Mr79Tjc0TjhzdXpkZ1U/...

Full-size map WITHOUT start markings and game title
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-miPrT4Mr79enVNZGotMEFnUzg/...


very nice evan, thx! of course zazzle is currently having tech issues - none of their upload links are working... robot

update: zazzle fixed their JS, uploading now! i'll post some photos as soon as the print arrives.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
Has anyone tried using one of the office stores to print out on a vinyl banner? I'm not sure if they'd be the best choice for a map like this.

I have a Civ map printed on a Vinyl banner. It was sold as an "outdoor poster" and is a "blown vinyl" like those old vinyl hex mats you could get rather than a thin sheet like paper. It's awesome: it rolls up and lays flag when rolled out, it is waterproof, it is non-slip on top and it is a really nice tactile surface to play on. The only problem I have with it is that the person who made the image file moved the population limit circles, not realising that it made the map hard to use when you only need a partial board. Still, it only cost me £20
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Graham
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Any update on the other files? I'd love to print the whole set out this week if possible!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
graham2017 wrote:
Any update on the other files? I'd love to print the whole set out this week if possible!


It all depends on when the admins approve them. Could be tomorrow... could be next week. They're there in the queue, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Álvaro Suárez Riobó
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Woooooo!

That's fantastic.
Then... may you lend us the files so we can translate them?

I would do the spanish version. It is not necessary to say you would see the files before I upload them and you would be recognized as the complete author of them in every paper.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mascarenhas
Brazil
Teixeira de Freitas
Bahia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work dude. Just one question. Any chance to have a new edition of rulebook with this new artwork ?Would help me lot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rajatz wrote:
Great work dude. Just one question. Any chance to have a new edition of rulebook with this new artwork ?Would help me lot


Honestly, I'd absolutely love to do that. But that is such a daunting task that, realistically, it's not going to happen for a while. I was hoping someone else would take up that torch. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty pictures of the new redesign as I put it together!

17 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The files are UP! The only three things I'm working on that aren't up yet are 1) square city tokens, 2) box art, and 3) player aids.

Thumb 'em up if you can!

Civilization Redesign - Cards
Civilization Redesign - Player Aids & Tokens
Civilization Redesign - Game Boards
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vistuvis Adriddae
Canada
flag msg tools
Awesooooome!!!!

This is a fine piece of work, Derrick! Thank you sooo much for all your work.

Could you (or someone else) make a list of how many of each card you're suppose to print out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vistuvis wrote:
Awesooooome!!!!

This is a fine piece of work, Derrick! Thank you sooo much for all your work.

Could you (or someone else) make a list of how many of each card you're suppose to print out?


Ah, whoops! Forgot to include that info anywhere.

You only need to print each file once EXCEPT for the Advanced Civ Civilization cards. You'll need to print each of the following files TWICE. I've edited the descriptions on the file page to reflect this.

AdvancedCiv_CivilizationCards1.pdf
AdvancedCiv_CivilizationCards2.pdf
AdvancedCiv_CivilizationCards3.pdf
AdvancedCiv_CivilizationCards4.pdf
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Graham
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for this!

Also, I rearranged each of the card pdf's so they can easily be printed front and back if you have nice enough paper or are trying to cut costs I can upload those if anyone is interested.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.