Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Frandsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day to you all,

I'm just curious whether there has been any official ruling on this.

After a scenario ends, can the ringbearer discard Life tokens to kill foes AND to avoid corruption? Or can each Life token only be used for one of these purposes?

I could always house rule this based on the group's desired difficulty level. But is there any official ruling?

Also feel free to leave any opinions you have, or to outline the procedure that you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking the rules, this sounds decidedly questionable to me.

Between scenarios, it is the ring-bearer's turn and they can defeat Foes. But do you become ring-bearer before handing in life tokens? I would have thought not. In any case, when the scenario ends, I would say it's no-one's turn until life tokens are handed in, and a new ring-bearer is chosen and draws 2 cards etc.

That's just my gut reaction, but even if the rules don't explicitly forbid this, I'd be inclined to house-rule that it's not allowed. It feels like cheating, even if it isn't technically forbidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ring Bearer is the active player between scenarios (sorry no time to find a reference...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"At the end of the Scenarios Bree, Moria, Isengard, Helm's Deep and Shelob's Lair, carry out the end of scenario activities (Life tokens, new Ring-bearer, Fatty). Then the new Ring-bearer acts as the active player and may defeat Foes even before the next Scenario begins." (F&F rules)

Take that how you will. Noting that the life tokens mentioned here is just the check for them and moving on the track if missing certain tokens, not the discard life tokens back to the pool bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
"At the end of the Scenarios Bree, Moria, Isengard, Helm's Deep and Shelob's Lair, carry out the end of scenario activities (Life tokens, new Ring-bearer, Fatty). Then the new Ring-bearer acts as the active player and may defeat Foes even before the next Scenario begins." (F&F rules)

Take that how you will. Noting that the life tokens mentioned here is just the check for them and moving on the track if missing certain tokens, not the discard life tokens back to the pool bit.

OK, I've checked the rules now...

I think that bit about the "end of scenario activities" does include returning the life tokens. Doing so is, after all, one of the end of scenario activities, even if it's not specifically mentioned at that point.

The base game rules (on p9) say that after counting Life tokens, choosing the new Ring-bearer etc, and drawing cards, all Life tokens are returned and the Scenario board is cleared. Then the new Scenario board is placed, and then the markers go on their spaces. Only then does the marker advance on the Master board.

The Friends and Foes rules state that the Ring-bearer is the active player "while you play on the Master board". I'd say that means when everything else is done and you're moving the marker on the Master board.

So to me it's only once the old scenario is completed and the new one placed that the ring-bearer becomes active player. Then they move the marker on the Master board and can defeat foes before taking their first turn on the new scenario board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

OK, I've checked the rules now...

I think that bit about the "end of scenario activities" does include returning the life tokens. Doing so is, after all, one of the end of scenario activities, even if it's not specifically mentioned at that point.

The base game rules (on p9) say that after counting Life tokens, choosing the new Ring-bearer etc, and drawing cards, all Life tokens are returned and the Scenario board is cleared. Then the new Scenario board is placed, and then the markers go on their spaces. Only then does the marker advance on the Master board.

The Friends and Foes rules state that the Ring-bearer is the active player "while you play on the Master board". I'd say that means when everything else is done and you're moving the marker on the Master board.

So to me it's only once the old scenario is completed and the new one placed that the ring-bearer becomes active player. Then they move the marker on the Master board and can defeat foes before taking their first turn on the new scenario board.

Awesome, thanks for your input. I tend to agree with you, that it feels like cheating, and my gut told me not to use Life tokens in-between scenarios in the first place. But there was still just that grain of ambiguity that my slightly obsessive mind wanted to deal with.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorta late to the discussion, but you *could* choose to do one of the following:

* Whoever the last player was in the scenario could choose to give up 3 life tokens prior to checking whether there is any corruption for lack of tokens.

* After end of scenario (or before, or at any time), any player could play that yellow card that says it can be used to destroy the life token foe (recall, yellow cards do not have to be played by the active player); if applicable, other foes could then be defeated by the ring-bearer, provided their requirements are met.

Whoever is ring-bearer is active player only once the end of scenario actions, and there are no life tokens to discard at that point.

Also, remember that prior to ending the scenario, you could have chosen to skip your turn to defeat the leftmost foe (at the cost of going one turn further, and thus risking further event draws).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.