Subject: Republic of Rome, a fantastic experience or just a nightmare? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ik ben een kleine boefje
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully understand you Bravucon, RoR is a hell of a game for some people but a nightmare for others as I explained before. Only wanted to remark that IMHO the game is not broken at all, at least not in a certain way.

The game does work, the problem is that it is not a game for everybody, It just works for some people, but is not that the game is broken, it is because the nature of the game, its very core, Your expetations were high and I have seen many many people in your same situation, they heard a ton of positive reviews about RoR and expected a diferent kind of experience. Tons of players bought the spanish editions and after a couple of weeks several copies were to be sold second hand in the spanish BSK site. I teached the game several times and it is sad to look at the other people´s faces seeing frawns of boredoom and desires of ending the sessions as soon as posible. But at the same time many newcomers loved it and told me that they had one of the best gaming experiences of their lifes.. RoR is a game that will work only for a given kind of person, The same way I don´t like at all games like Mall of Horror or most of the ameritrash stuff. Many of them are games I dislike but there are very few if any broken ones.

Also, you had bad luck. If one of your senators dies because of the moratility chits and nobody gives you anything in order to level the power among the families, the next hours are going to be a pain in the ass. When that happens to me I try to convince other players to give me some offices (censorship, consul) and they usually end up doing so in order to prevent other families to become very powerful and unstoppable in the Senate meetings. Once I even was really close to grab a victory coming from behind. But I must agree that I do not always succeed in doing so and a couple of games I was left there with no options for a recover. I specially remember a terrible game in which I lost two of my three senators due to mortallity chits draws. In that way the game is broken if you compare it to an eurogame. And you even did not have time to check out another thing that annoys a lot of people: the attractions in the last turns, when is clear that Rome has survived and is gonna be a winner in the game, and everybody tries to steal the other players best senators... you can lose the game quite easily just because your dice roll a nine or more instead of an eight or less..

Ror is a different sort of thing, Cristian, it is not worse or better, just different and not broken for sure. But I do understand your opinion and that´s why I wrote this review. Ror could be considered a bad game as a game itself, but for some people it is indeed a wonderful experience. I use to say that RoR is a 10 as an experience and a 1 as a game. It is not balanced, it depends dramatically on luck, there is a lot of kingmaking in it... you are gonna love it or hate it. You and many others hate it, some other people loves it. Both are right.

Cuídate, simio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:

After that, my only aspiration was praying for this game to end as soon as possible while the best situated players was distributing the leaderships posts creating a snowballing paranoia.

Thankfully the game ended soon because some of us felt tired of fighting with our naked hands against the strongest players and made nothing to prevent Rome's collapse. If not, I would rated this a "pain in the ass" 1 instead of a "not totally broken" 2.5

That's part of the genius. The leaders didn't do enough to look after the guys who had bad luck and so the game ended early - and everybody lost!

Problem here wasn't the game, it was the group not understanding the paradigm. So they played badly, and lost. And didn't enjoy it because they didn't understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aivar
Spain
Granada
Granada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What to say about RoR???

There´s no mid level. You´ll love or hate it.

Una partidita?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Carter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A very good summary.

I've not played it in some years - regrettably, given that I have an active coven of 4-5 players - but it's the best game I'[m ever played in terms of allowing me to screw other players and yet actually win from an unwinnable position. All you need is faith, attitude and an almost completely sociopathic view of the world.

Fuckin' love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter Bosman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good review. I don't think this is a game for me, a former chess player that prefers clear rules, perfect information, analytical & mathematical play. Though I've also never played with such a group, enjoyed HeroQuest in my childhood and lately am getting a bit more into thematical games as well. Though diplomacy and historical reenactment is still completely terra incognito for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like the reviewer who takes the time to write a review in a 2nd language and does an admirable job. That takes guts - good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
I always like the reviewer who takes the time to write a review in a 2nd language and does an admirable job. That takes guts - good job.

Gelete is a guy who knows his way around, as you can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play it in the good old AH days with the right group. Lot of fight, lot of blood. One of the best ... perhaps the best playing experience (along with Earth Reborn). Who cares who wins when you harshly struggled to win?
Played again recently with a new group accustomed to the new Euro games. Some players were disgusted, the playing experience was defintively bad.

For me one of the best games ever, but it is a matter of "gaming culture".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.