Subject: Stark Raving - The Whispering Wood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lannister started with an all-out attack of Addam and his cavalry against Maege's forces. As they do not pose a big threat, I guess he viewed them as easy victory point fodder.

Luckily, they proved quite resilient, and even after Addam used reactivate all once and attacked again, he eliminated only one Kennelmaster unit.

Near the river, I had the choice to either send some units to protect Catelyn, or use them to attack the Lannister forces. I chose the latter, figuring that I just needed to eliminate his cavalry to prevent a early capture of Catelyn. I managed to kill one unit, but he sent the other toward the outer ford. In response, I sent Robb himself to protect his mother. This left many of my units out of any commanders reach, but I felt I had not other option at this point.

The Greatjon's cavalry parted ways: one unit I sent toward the river, and the other to assist Maege. The Greatjon himself plodded toward the massed Lannister units, for the slight chance to partake in the battle in about round 4.

As I did not want Lannister to collect all those victory points, I also sent Rickard down toward Maege, to fall in Addams back in the next round. This left my units in the forest line completely without any commander, but I did not expect to move them much, preferring the protection of the forest.

Round 2

Victory points: Stark 1, Lannister 1

I rolled 4 green order tokens, which left me with rather bad command options.

At the southern front, the weakened Addam eliminated my infantry with a flank attack, and advanced into the protective forest without attacking again, so that he could not be flanked. He must have felt quite safe there, but he was wrong. In the next turn, my Kennelmasters captured Addam, and the red cavalry eliminated both of his blue ones. I suddenly felt stupid for having sent Rickard south, as there were no Lannisters left!

The Lannister cavalry crossed the ford toward Catelyn, and I attacked them with Robb, but scored no hits. Lannister reactivated his unit, and predictably, disengaged to get Catelyn. But Robb rolled three hits on the parting blow, leaving Lannister without cavalry. devil

Round 3

Victory points: Stark 5, Lannister 3

As I had few command options, I could not prevent Lannister from advancing toward the fords. He cleverly blocked my red cavalry, and about the only thing I could do was send Rickard up to help. Still things did not look bad for me - I could probably keep Jaime from capturing Catelyn, and even capture him instead for an instant victory.

But at the end of the round I made a severe tactical error: Jaime could capture Catelyn if he went first on round 4, and I forgot that he had momentum in this scenario, and used up the command token I should have kept.

Round 4

Victory points: Stark 5, Lannister 3

Obviously, Lannister went first and Jaime captured the Catelyn token.

Now I had two objectives: Either capture Jaime before he got 5 victory points, and/or prevent him from getting 5 victory points.
Assuming I accomplished the latter, Lannister could only hope to capture Robb with a lucky roll. If none of us scored an instant victory, I would probably win, as I was ahead on morale.

This is basically what we did during the next 3 rounds: Jaime and Robb hacked at each other, constantly reactivating. Rickard sometimes assisted Robb, but to no avail. (I had from 5 to 10% chance to capture Jaime on each attack, while Jaime had below 1% to capture Robb).

I could not prevent Lannister from getting my red infantry that was already reduced to one figure. He now had 4 victory points - one more and I would lose.

Round 5

Victory points: Stark 8, Lannister 4

Despite the temptation to attack, I simply withdrew all my vulnerable forces from Lannisters reach, to deny him the victory point he needed for an instant win. Made me feel like a coward.

Jaime and Robb continued to hack at each other. Since I was much ahead on morale, I would have disengaged, but with Jaime always advancing and reactivating, I could not get Robb away.

Round 6

Victory points: Stark 10, Lannister 4

As in round 5 - I withdrew my units from the reach of the Lannister infantry, and Jaime and Robb continued their fighting until we were out of command options.

Final victory points, including morale: Stark 12, Lannister 4.

Final Board:

Due to my blunder at the end of round three, this was the most tense session we ever had. For three whole rounds, practically every roll we made could have resulted in an instant victory. I needed about two hours to get my heart-rate down again.

(BTW, sorry about the image quality. I only noticed after the game that the banners are hard to see from this angle. It's easier with the map in landscape orientation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whispering wood, hm sounds like a familiar problem....

I've considered this game after seeing some episodes of a game of thrones on telly and wonder what game you'd compare it too.

Battlelore, Magestorm, anything like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I've considered this game after seeing some episodes of a game of thrones on telly and wonder what game you'd compare it too.

Battlelore, Magestorm, anything like that?

No personal experience, but see these threads, for example:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/881970/a-started-out-brief-t...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/851496/cc-battlelore-confuse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that was helpfull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Stark did not care enough about protecting Cately - like the first time we played this. But on the second run i was so much into the idea of getting the token, i did not care enough about killing Starks units.
Things might have gone wuite different if Adam and his fellow riders hat not fallen that quick, or if u did not need to get up to Cate with Jaime cause he could have ordered and reactivated some more units down there.

But once the situation was there, i forgot to focus on getting the last victory points i needed. Once again i feel that too many decisions are like a standard combat reflex, often i do not pay enough attention to the actual task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
I feel like Stark did not care enough about protecting Cately - like the first time we played this.

Let's just play a third time, and maybe I'll try the "protect Catelyn" approach.

I still think my plan "don't let fast-moving Lannisters (i.e. cavalry) get near Catelyn" was ok. It was just my blunder at the end of round three that made things interesting. I'm used to having Momentum.

Quote:
Side note - Momentum statistics
Core set: Stark 7, Lannister 3
WotW: Stark 2, Lannister 1
WotN: Stark 2, Lannister 1
LotR: Stark 1, Lannister 2
Tribes: Stark 3, Lannister 0
Brotherhood: Stark 2, Lannister 2
Baratheon: Baratheon 5, Stark 2, Lannister 3

Total 36: Stark 19, Lannister 12, Baratheon 5

Really protecting Catelyn would mean moving my red infantry onto one ford and probably Robb and another infantry (the green?) in addition to that. I felt that doing so would give the Lannisters the opportunity to smash my remaining units and get ahead on victory points. Holding the forest line is really very tempting. How do others feel about this? Protect or attack?

While we're having this talk, why did you attack Maege with Addam? That seems rather pointless to me in retrospect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thought behind that was to prevent the red cavalry from riding up, but tempt them into attacking my cav. I figured i should at least kill enough Stark units before my own ones fell to get even on VP (or better), and the riders would not help protecting catelyn or flank around in the main battle.
Of course i was kind of surprised by how quick my guys fell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.