Outcasts (fan expansion for BattleCON)» Forums » News

Subject: New Challengers Approach: Tharusk and Masika rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: Outcasts has been a (poorly) kept secret for the last 6+ months. During which our team has worked diligently to design and test a swath of new characters, new game modes and push the boundaries of a game we all love - BattleCON: War of Indines.

Over the next little while we will be releasing characters, game modes and the other bits of Outcasts as they make it through our testing regiment. As each new item appears in the file section here I will make a news announcement and briefly cover the relevant story elements and mechanics.

Today, for Outcasts' debut, we released two characters: Tharusk Zahn and Masika/Layla.

Masika was born in a small village on the edge of the vast burning sea. When she was a young girl, exploring the dunes in the early evening, she stumbled upon a cave. The interior was a slick, shimmering black stone and in its center a great hulking shape sat, big black chains binding him to the walls. The Demon was the Efreet Tharusk, and in her innocence Masika was tricked into freeing him for a wish. Her wish, to remain pure forever, was granted and Tharusk vanished in a plume of black smoke.

When Masika turned 16 she discovered a new voice in her mind, it called itself Layla and over time the two realized the truth. Tharusk had granted her wish indeed, Masika would remain pure forever. Layla, a second soul that shared her body, was made of all the jading and corrupting parts that would naturally have grown as Masika did. Layla is impurity incarnate. The two became united to one purpose, hunting and slaying the demon responsible for their division.

Masika was one of the first characters to join the Outcasts roster. Her primary mechanic represents the two persona's that inhabit her body, the quick and precise Masika and the ruthless and reckless Layla. Masika maintains control as long as she hasn't lost life or taken damage, granting you increased priority and range while she does so. Once you take a hit, Layla is able to overwhelm Masika and temporarily assume control. Where Masika is about small, quick pokes and board control Layla is about return fire. She has innate stun guard and gains a power boost when she activates second.

Tharusk came from an age long lost to time. His incredible strength and powerful wit together make him a formidable foe, and it took an entire kingdom unifying under one banner to imprison him in the Obsidian Cave in the lost age. Since he was freed from his chains by Masika he has been quietly biding his time and gaining strength. He once again put into motion his grand plan when he encountered the strong, although narrow-minded Shihai Desuka. The martial artist who desperately sought to fight one she deemed worthy of her skill. Tharusk defeated her swiftly, but did not kill her as she wished. Instead, he granted her the power to absorb the soul of those she defeats and encouraged her to hunt fighters until she had the strength to face him. Her hubris made it impossible for her to refuse. By empowering Shihai Tharusk unleashed a terrible evil upon the world. What his ultimate plan entails is known only to him.

Tharusk's unique ability is perhaps one of the most appropriately named, Demonic Pressure. He is intended to be a grappling character and to represent this his unique ability is two-fold. First, whenever he moves an opponent they have -1 Power, -1 Priority the following beat; this represents knock-down. Second, whenever he hits an opponent at Range 1 that opponent cannot retreat or move away from Tharusk; this represents a 'stickyness' common to grapplers. The second part of his ability also makes Tharusk particularly dangerous when he is pinned in the corner, as his moves become impossible to avoid after he lands a hit at Range 1. He may be slow, but he is loaded with Stun Guard and hits like a truck on a rampage. He also has one special trick up his sleeve, the Enslaving style is a constant threat - and at Range 1 he could turn your own attack against you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting!

Layla is actually quite close to an idea I'd been churning around myself, and Tharusk is a fun idea too - moving people to knock them off balance.

Looking forward to seeing more! (And it's always fun to see more of Fontes' artwork!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These two have been thoroughly enjoyed by everyone we had testing them.

Tharusk is really a monster as well, playing against him you really feel that pressure.

There is indeed plenty more of Fontes' artwork on the way (and not just chibi's, he's done some of the proper art for a few of our characters as well).

There is one character presently in the BGG-pipeline (you can see a teaser in the Images section) and I'm pretty excited to share him with you fine folks. Sol the Majestic takes the game of BattleCON in a very different direction Some would say, when playing as or against Sol you are in fact playing a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! How many characters do you have in the pipeline? Between the WoI and DoI characters, I remain amazed by the potential this game has...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 18, if you count the solo-mode character and the boss battle character as characters. There's also a couple other things too

I'm very impatient to share, but I've promised myself that we wouldn't share anything until it's been tested a good amount first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
We have 18, if you count the solo-mode character and the boss battle character as characters. There's also a couple other things too

I'm very impatient to share, but I've promised myself that we wouldn't share anything until it's been tested a good amount first.

Wow! Good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you release the guide for the expansion, will it have the lore you are posting here on BGG? Just curious, I love reading about Indines and what makes the characters unique and what drives them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:
When you release the guide for the expansion, will it have the lore you are posting here on BGG? Just curious, I love reading about Indines and what makes the characters unique and what drives them.

We are actually working on a separate Lore document that ties the story of all the Outcasts together

These snippets are just picking out the defining moments of the character, and in most cases their introduction. Like Indines, Outcasts has a full story to be told -- and you may guess, but Tharusk is the big bad evil guy (of someone had to be labelled as such); but he's not the only one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tharusk is really cool. The first fighting game I ever played was Street Fighter II, as I'm sure many could say, and Zangief was always my guy, so it is neat to see a grappler in this game. A couple comments on his cards.

Final has a typo: "activating" should be "activated."

How does Enslaving work? I don't have the board game yet, just the app, so I'm unclear on what constitutes an activation. I assume for these purposes that "Before Activating" and "After Activating" effects are treated more accurately as "Beginning of Activation" and "End of Activation" effects (i.e. the Enslaver controls these effects), but Start and End of Beat would be outside the realm of Enslaving?

Haven't looked too closely at Masika, but she sounds fun as well, and it will be nice to be able to expand my demo game while waiting on the Kickstarted collection. Thanks for making this available! Really cool to see such high quality art on a fan made expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:

How does Enslaving work? I don't have the board game yet, just the app, so I'm unclear on what constitutes an activation. I assume for these purposes that "Before Activating" and "After Activating" effects are treated more accurately as "Beginning of Activation" and "End of Activation" effects (i.e. the Enslaver controls these effects), but Start and End of Beat would be outside the realm of Enslaving?

That is exactly the range of abilities that Enslaving takes control of -- Before Activating to After Activating (and including any decisions made in between, such as who in range of the attack is hit by it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Should Final be worded as "Before Activating: If you are not the Active player, this attack gains +3 power"? I absolutely love the idea of Ebony Buster. Does Enslaver mean that any effects on the opponent's activation are applied to you instead of them? Or is it like "Before activating: Move 1, 2, or 3 spaces" and you can choose how many spaces to move, not them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wording and mine on Final are equivalent (but it does have a grammatical typo). I'll update it on the next swing of updates.

Enslaving works the second way you describe, you make the decisions for their character (so in the case that they Dash you decide how many spaces and in which direction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.