Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Tom brought a copy of Nothing Personal to Dallas Games Marathon last night. I was one of the lucky people that was able to play the game. Let me be one of the first to say this game was a blast! It is all about changing peoples mind and screwing everyone over. Serious gamers that want a serious game will probably not care for this one as it is all about negotiation for the right price or money and strategy alone will not win this game.

Was it balanced? In our game Tom said we were one of the most evil groups he had seen play his game. We constantly were kicking the player that was way behind while gaining what we could and even forming an alliance among the top two players. But in the last two of the 5 rounds the last player slung shot from like 30 respect behind the first player to win the game! He was such a ninja ninja ! Even one of the middle people were making deals with the top player just because the very last player screwed him over a few turns before. So yes it seemed very balanced with everyone having an equal shot at winning if they can figure out when to help and when to screw someone at the table.

Was it thematic? The theme felt spot on and it really did feel like we were mobsters or influencing the mobsters to help us gain the respect we needed to win. Often times we were raising to make sure it cost a lot to play cards or negotiating who would get assasinated or the best way to overthrow the capo.... It had a feel of Cash and Guns meets Cosmic
Encounter meets Sparticus with a mobster theme! I think we were playing with the most updated rules that Tom had.

Was it fun? There is a HUGE amount of fun factor in this game. Maybe we the less reserved group it wouldn't be as much fun but with my group we were all trying to screw each other at the table and rightly so as the game encourages it from turn one! Everyone at the table said they had a huge amount of fun playing the game and would love to play it again. It does have the tendency to get slightly out of balance in power but that is when you band together to stop the power from getting out of control or pay someone to look the other way......

In conclusion this game was a serious amount of fun. I had already backed it on kickstarter and now I really can't wait to get the game in my hands. I can't wait to start screwing everyone over at the table left and right..... but just remember its Nothing Personal devil .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow my pic appeared sideways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
30 respect behind the first player to win the game!

From your experience in the gameplay session, was that something you think likely to happen frequently, where the game swings wildly and crazily from last to first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm no the player was a smart player and paid off the right people to remain where he was too rounds in a row. It is always possible but I wouldn't say it would happen often. Especially as we as a group learned the game more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice review!

I was a spectator for the OP's session of Nothing Personal and I could tell that all four players seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. One of my favorite aspects was that the cards effectively functioned as three different mechanics: as influence, as an ability card, or for a quick $8. With the exception of the change target ability, none of the cards seemed particularly overpowered. I will say that the play that swung into the lead was likely unable to do so because he had three blackmail tokens out which gave him quite a bit of power, but that may have been easily countered if the other players were more familiar or aware of ways to remove his control. The money and negotiations were certainly the most entertaining part to watch at least and the offers and bidding wars to the powerful person in a situation were certainly thematic. I guess it has the potential to get a little munchkiny with the take that of it, but I'll lean towards a more favorable Cosmic Encounter comparison It may have been a smidge on the long side but I can't speak for how long a game would go without having to learn it. Overall, I was very impressed with the game and can't wait to have a few of our kickstarter copies flying around the game.group.

Also, nice review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Listen to the PYLP ! @ http://s3.amazonaws.com/PushUrLuckPodcast/pulp_feed.xml
mbmbmbmb
Jacobgarr wrote:

it didnt "somehow" appeared sideways

someone definitely screwed you over again !
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Claremont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacobgarr wrote:

Mine do, too. I have only tried once or twice, (off my iphone), and of course my pics were rejected because they come out sideways. Makes me sad. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacobgarr wrote:

Is this better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.