Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
Oceluna (jueguetistorias)
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I had the opportunity to get the rules and play a few turns in a recent demo of this game in Spain. In this post we tell you our impressions about these turns, and the main differences we saw with regards to Talisman (Revised 4th Edition).

We know that this summary is quite short, and probably, a bit poor, but this is everything that we were able to get, and, besides, we do not see too much information here, so we hope it can be useful for other people.

Apologies in advance for my bad English. All photos in this post are from Oceluna. We are posting this to General because it is what we see has been done with other previews - but we do not know if "review" would be a better place. Moderators, please feel free to move it

Description

Relic is a game based on Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). For the few of you who do not know talisman, it is a "roll dice and move" kind of game, in which characters get stronger and wiser when they defeat monsters found in random encounters. The original game is set on a fantasy world; Relic moves this to a Warhammer 40K world and introduce a few but subtle changes.

Components and aesthetics

The game has a familiar yet different feeling compared to Talisman. The board is exquisite and it looks really good - more than the original Talisman board, if we can say so (see picture above). It has interesting colors, it is quite more functional than the original one from talisman and we would say it is one of the best boards from FFG. The game is also clearly making itself different from Talisman in the characters. The figures for the heroes are quiet different - they are not longer minis, but "moving heads" so to say. In our humble opinion, they look very good but you can judge it yourself:

The other big difference is the character sheet. Instead of having some tokes to put next to your character sheet, now there are a few gears to indicate the strength, willpower, life, etc. of your character, along with its level.

Changes in rules

We played a few turns, so we were not able to grasp everything, but what stroke us as differences are the following

* Objective of the game: The game appears to come with different objectives to play with. In our game, victory was awarded to the first player to reach the center square.

* Characters: Characters are much more developed in Relic compared to talisman. There are four factors now, compared with three in Talisman; Strength (Red), Willpower (Blue), Cunning (Yellow) and Life (Green). Apart from that, each character has a number of imperial powers (kind of spells in old Talisman) to start with, and some influence (similar but not equal to money).

* Encounters: There are three types of encounters: red, blue and cunning, associated with the color of hero characteristic most likely to be used in the encounter. Every square in the board indicates what kind of encounter(s) must be played by any character visiting that square. This allow a player to focus more in the characteristic that they are better at, and, in our feeling, it speed up the leveling of the character, which may be a good thing if you feel talisman dragged some times.

You can see the three encounter decks there. Also, please notice that the square where the hero is, has a blue symbol - which means 1 blue encounter

* Combat: With regards to combat, there are no differences. You can still use one armor and one weapon per combat, whose value will be added to your roll dice. Interestingly enough, if you get a "6" in the roll dice, you will get that 6 plus another roll to add to the "6", as many times as 6 you get. This allow in some cases for a lucky character to win combats that in Talisman were not winnable.

* Leveling up: Once you have cumulated 6 points worth of defeated enemies, your hero levels up. Leveling up is quite curious in Relic compared to talisman - instead of getting one extra strength or wisdom depending on the kind of enemies you had as "thropies", like in Talisman, here every time that you level up, you advance one step the mark of current level of your character. In turn, this will give you some advantages as written in your character card. This is interesting in more than one way - on one hand, the characters always grow in the same way, which may reduce replayability, but, on the other hand, you do not end up with 10 strength vs 2 wisdom characters like in Talisman.

* Corruption: This seems to be an interesting mechanism - unfortunately, we were not able to play with it. If we understood it correctly, in some encounters you will get "corruption", which will give you special powers, but, if you get enough corruption you just die.

* How to move around the board: In order to move from the first "level" to the second "level", you need to pay influence at some of the squares of the first "level" - there is no other way to go to the second level. In order to move from second to third level, you need to own a Relic, which you can gain when you fulfill enough missions. You start with one mission at the start of the game (my mission, for instance, was to defeat other hero in the group of squares known as "Death Worlds"). Once you complete a mission, you can keep it - get enough and you will get a relic, or you can discard it in order gain some advantages.

What we think about the game:

Unfortunately, we can not give out an opinion of this game, as we feel we have not played enough to do it. However, we can tell you that the feelings are the same that while playing talisman. If you do not like talisman, you are not going to like this game. If you like Talisman and you love the theme of this game or appreciate what we believe are the improvements (leveling up, missions, corruption) - then you are going to love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what did you think for people who have never played talisman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What David gas just said. I found Talisman to be a highly divisive game - there are lot of people who hate it and there are lot of people who really like it.

II think it's basically becuase of the big luck factor, as you depend totally on your dice launch. Give it a try before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Relic is looking very interesting, even though I was never into the 40K universe. I'd say the pluses for me are different level up mechanisms and more types of stats. The real negative are those busts just look weird to me, almost to the point of just replacing them with generic pawns or other minis. I know that's probably more due to the contract FFG has with GW more than them actually thinking it was a good design idea. I'll just decide when I get a better look at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is in my wishlist since it first announcement, since i´m a warhammer 40k fanboy, and was around the idea of playing talisman games and maybe get some, FFG make a critical hit on me with this mix.

I haven´t played talisman, but this gameboard seem little glitter by the chaos warp color, but after a while you could get used to it.

thanks for that great preview, and i´m impacient waiting for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear an initial review of Relic. Thanks for sharing!

My only frustration is that they didn't come up with an improved movement mechanism. Almost all Talisman bashing centers on Talisman's single die roll and move so it's odd that they didn't put their brilliant Fantasy Flight development heads together to fix this.

The good news to me though is that there is already an outstanding and elegant variant to improve Talisman style movement:

eugelonely wrote:

1) OUTERN REGION- roll 2x D6 and choose one of them as your movement die

Examples:

ROLL: 4 3 you could go for 4 or 3 spaces either way you like

ROLL: 5 5 on a double you could move either way an amount of spaces of your choice up to the value of the doubled die: 5 in this case.

2) MIDDLE REGION- normal movement ( roll 1 dice and move that many spaces left or right )

3) INNER REGION- normal movement ( one space per turn ).

The above was taken from this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/795452/the-best-movement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Feeling a bit blue.
mbmb
wgerken wrote:
My only frustration is that they didn't come up with an improved movement mechanism. Almost all Talisman bashing centers on Talisman's single die roll and move so it's odd that they didn't put their brilliant Fantasy Flight development heads together to fix this.
Hmm... I think I vaguely remember reading something about there being something different in the way movement mechanism, though for the life of me I can't remember outright what it was or in which thread/review I read it..

From what I can remember though.. Each character(?) has a movement feature that will have some impact on their plain "roll and move that many steps in either of two directions".. But like I said, I can't remember exactly what or where I read about it.

Hopefully I wasn't just dreaming this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gripen wrote:
Hopefully I wasn't just dreaming this...

That may have been from my observation.
chromaticdragon wrote:
The preview pics show hero powers & allies that affect movement and quest/equipment/corruption cards that require a decision from the player. So I expect Relic will play less random and have more decision-making vs Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

In our gameplay, we did not find anything like that... But still, we played only some turns. Sorry or not being able to be of any help here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
Great to hear an initial review of Relic. Thanks for sharing!

The good news to me though is that there is already an outstanding and elegant variant to improve Talisman style movement:

eugelonely wrote:

1) OUTERN REGION- roll 2x D6 and choose one of them as your movement die

Examples:

ROLL: 4 3 you could go for 4 or 3 spaces either way you like

ROLL: 5 5 on a double you could move either way an amount of spaces of your choice up to the value of the doubled die: 5 in this case.

2) MIDDLE REGION- normal movement ( roll 1 dice and move that many spaces left or right )

3) INNER REGION- normal movement ( one space per turn ).

The above was taken from this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/795452/the-best-movement...

Wow! I am going to try this in my next talisman game. THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, there are "power cards" that provide a special effect OR can used to substitute their printed value for any die roll. Additionally, it seems that any mission that requires you to go to a specific character's space allow you to stop on their space as you go past, instead of forcing you to go the full distance of the die roll. Lastly, I do seem to remember all of the characters having movement based abilities; I think one could go to any space in their 'ring' as long as it had encounter cards, and another could use a power card to move any distance up to it's value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.