Subject: Aligning Minor Countries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty crucial I get this right, so just to be sure.

I play IPO 3 - ally with a minor country.

Then when at war with a Major power, I can align the minor.
This means move its political counter under mine?
(regardless of its location on the political map??)

So the sequence would be.

1. Declare War (MP4)
2. Align Minor. (IPO5)

Correct?

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Nope. Afraid not.

You can ally (IPO3) with the minor no matter where it is on the minor political display (although it is harder to do so if they are a long way from your MP marker). But you can only subsequently align (IPO5) the minor if it is already stacked with your MP marker (and allied to that MP and no other).

It's deliberately tricky - you have to get and keep the minor in your grasp long enough to get your alliance in position and break any other alliances (and be at war with another MP).

Of course a minor will still align with an eligible MP if declared on by another MP - the rules for who gets control of them is as per WiFFE. However this is no use if you are trying get hold of Turkey or Spain for instance as your opponent will never be stupid enough to attack them unless they are certain to finish them off pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
This confuses me then....

People mention aligning countries on the sessions,
But I find it hard to believe they could?

For example, as Germany, I can see getting
Finland, Rumania etc, but not the more exotics?

However, if I ally with turkey, and a war starts with France,
Can I the align it?
Or only if France Dow turkey will it join me?

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
I suppose it means guaranteed resources until someone breaks the alliance?

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev
playing an alliance with a minor doesnt necessarily get you their resources. It does help, as its one of the options that gives you the biggest influence hit on a minor (+3 usually), but minor resources (and use of their factories) are secured through firstly the position of the minor, and secondly any minor economic agreements (IPO2) that have been put in place.

Early on, economic agreements are ok for getting hold of resources and factories, but as the game progresses you will find that minors will end up shifted within ideologies at which point the closest major power will usually start to claim the resources and override existing economic agreements.

The primary purposes of playing IPO3 alliances are firstly to allow you (at some point and if you get the minor stacked with you) to align it with IPO5, secondly to provide you with influence and thirdly to protect you from another power aligning the minor. If you are democratic, it also gives you a causus bellum if the minor is attacked - but I always think a guarantee is a better option for this, as its cheaper and cant be cancelled by enemy option play.

On your previous question, there are a few 'natural' tendencies for some countries (eg rumania will, all things being equal, gravitate towards the fascists), but others can be brought towards almost any ideology, given the right plays and focus. For example, in our current game, Turkey was brought over to Germany and they had a chance to align it (which would have given me as Russia a real headache), but I managed to start a civil war there just in time.

Aligning a minor with IPO5 is difficult to do - its expensive and the other powers will work hard to stop you doing it, but it is certainly possible - again, you'll see in our current game reports that both Brazil (to the CW), Mexico (to Japan) and Spain (to Germany) have been IPO5 aligned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

Appreciate the responses :-)

What I meant to say is, once I have trade agreements in place
It will prove harder for the enemy to remove them...

As Germany I've calculated I need 4 resources for the first gear up..

Sweden is 2 as is Rumania.

After that I'm guessing what to do next :-)

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
mbmbmbmbmb
ansettk wrote:
Hi,

Appreciate the responses :-)

What I meant to say is, once I have trade agreements in place
It will prove harder for the enemy to remove them...

No ... I do not believe it will. As long as a minor country is not within any ideology, you can always cancel another power's trade agreement with it by playing IPO2. Sure, this costs money, but if you think you can go first the next turn you can first cancel an enemy trade agreement and then replace it with one of your own.

ansettk wrote:

As Germany I've calculated I need 4 resources for the first gear up..

Sweden is 2 as is Rumania.

After that I'm guessing what to do next :-)

Kev

I'm sorry? You need resources for a gear up? I do not believe that you do. It costs you money to do so, but in Days of Decision you have a "bank acoount" with a credit limit that you use to pay for all political actions. That bank account is what you use the money track for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.