Lord of the Rings» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: LotR PBF #2 - A different fellowship of the Ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mb
Ok guys, by signing up here you commit to this PBF. We just need to settle who is playing, whether you prefer to play with or without the Friends and Foes expansion and also what difficulty level you want to use.

As soon as these are settled, we can start!

Please subscribe to this thread so that you don't miss the updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

I don't have Friends and Foes, only the Silver Line Edition so I can't play if you use the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjpw_88 wrote:
I'm in.

I don't have Friends and Foes, only the Silver Line Edition so I can't play if you use the expansion.

I'm fine not using the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We can play a warm-up without the expansion and if things work out fine and you feel like it, we can have a go on the expansion. You should be fine even not knowing it, since all the rules and info would be posted, you just would need a few extra rules which I can explain to you.

For now though, just the base-game. Also decide on difficulty level please sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll watch and give advice (assuming you guys want it), but I'm not going to join this time around... too much other stuff on my schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play too.
I've never played a PBF on BGG, but have played quite a few games of LotR live in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine not using the expansion, since it's my first PBF. I think we should start Sauron at 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Excellent! Welcome aboard Kelly. With ackmondual we should have 4 players.

I'll be setting up the game tomorrow.

PBF is really easy and you will catch up in no-time. You'll see

I'll explain some details on the set-up post and can also provide more info after that. Should any of you have any questions regarding the PBF and how it works, just send me a mail, I'll be happy to answer. If it's something general you'd like to discuss though, please do so here, for other players to be able to provide their opinions as well.

Expect the game to start tomorrow at about this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ok, so here the first steps.

For all of you new to this event, 4 seats have already been taken and 1 more are available, so everybody is invited to occupy that one.

We'll do a random character assignment once everything is ready.

Since the pics are not so super, I will write down the events under each scenario in order as well as the available scenario cards and their abilities. The tiles will be drawn by the BGG randomizer as in the previous PBFs, which I think worked well.

The difficulty level will be 12.

These are the images we are using, once we start I will set all this up nicely.

Master Board

scenario board

I'll prepare Moria in a bit.

player tokens (for each player to use as ID)

the tokens:

The Ring

And finally, the tiles:

I'll provide with the info you need in a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Ok, so here the first steps.
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door... You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."
-Bilbo Baggins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SET UP!

Choosing player order!(highest number is Frodo, and then we work our we towards the lowest number,

players are:

- Keith 1d100 = (34) = 34
- ackmondual 1d100 = (11) = 11
- Shawn 1d100 = (75) = 75
- Kelly 1d100 = (8) = 8

I will send you your codes for player markers as well as the cards from the first Event in Bag End

Let's start then! In Bag End

Events are:
- Gandalf: Each player receives 6 hobbit cards
- Preparations: Ring-bearer may 1 and reveal 4 hobbit cards face up for distribution
- Nazgul appears: One player discards 2 hide, otherwise sauron

First event: Gandalf - Sending out cards!

After you get the cards, the Ring-bearer may proceed with Preparations for which he/she may roll the die, roll a d6 and result would be as follows:

1- blank
2- 1
3- 2
4- 3
5- bacon
6- sauron

Or just pass and we go to next event, your call and up for discussion among players, no rush, whenever you guys got the time! And we proceed only after all have agreed or active player has decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 214713. Pedrator
  • 1d100 =
  • (34) =
  • Keith
  • Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:54 pm
  • [+]
  • 214714. Pedrator
  • 1d100 =
  • (11) =
  • ackmondual
  • [+]
  • 214715. Pedrator
  • 1d100 =
  • (75) =
  • Shawn
  • [+]
  • 214716. Pedrator
  • 1d100 =
  • (8) =
  • Kelly
  • Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:55 pm
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
All set and cards dealt!

Event Gandalf executed!

Frodo may proceed with Preparations

Good luck everybody and have fun! sauronsauronsauronsauronsauron

Current Status:

Frodo - Ring-bearer
Hand: 6 Cards
Shields: 0
Rings: 0
Hearts: 0
Suns: 0

Sam

Pippin

Merry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

β€œIt's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”
-Old Gaffer

First question: should I roll the die for us to get more cards? I generally think this is a good idea, but I wanted the group's opinion.

Next question: is someone currently sitting pretty for dealing with the Nazgul that will be appearing? I've got a lot of white that I can use as wild, if we need it.

Finally, looking forward to the council in Rivendell, and without knowing what we're going to get from Elrond, I'm a bit low on gray at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1 - Preparations. I think the 4 cards are well worth the risk. (Too bad Sam couldn't be the one to do the rolling!)

2 - Nazgul. I can Hide twice from the Nazgul so we won't have to worry about Sauron advancing, if that's okay with everybody.

3 - Rivendell. Looking forward to it too. Everyone will need to have a Friendship card ready to join the Fellowship. I already have mine.

In any case, not knowing what Elrond will give me, but I'll already have a lot of Fight and nothing much else.

To
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
, when we pass cards "clockwise" for Council, will we simply pass down the list of players above (keith, ackmondual, Sean, kelly)? Or is it in Hobbit order (Frodo, Sam, Pip, Merry)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooboy... Pippen here... I was expecting to stay home for the Thanksgiving holiday, but some last minute changes spring up. As a result, I will be out for large portions of tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. I will then be without internet access until the start of Dec. if this is too mixch of a delay, please let me know, and I'm afraid either a sub or 3p conversion's in order. Otherwise, I will chime in and say I'm also good on Hide vs Nazghul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
when we pass cards "clockwise" for Council, will we simply pass down the list of players above (keith, ackmondual, Sean, kelly)? Or is it in Hobbit order (Frodo, Sam, Pip, Merry)?

This will be in Hobbit order, Frodo to Sam, then Sam to Pippin etc.

Quote:
Hooboy... Pippen here... I was expecting to stay home for the Thanksgiving holiday, but some last minute changes spring up. As a result, I will be out for large portions of tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. I will then be without internet access until the start of Dec. if this is too mixch of a delay, please let me know, and I'm afraid either a sub or 3p conversion's in order. Otherwise, I will chime in and say I'm also good on Hide vs Nazghul

This is about two weeks with the game not advancing... as moderator I think this is too long, but if players are ok with it, Im good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I will be out for large portions of tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. I will then be without internet access until the start of Dec.

I can offer to take acks place as long as he is unavailable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Whoo - yeah, two weeks with no movement is a bit much. I think we do need a sub. If Robert is willing to jump in, that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I'm ready to goooooo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ok guys, I just forwarded all the info to Robert so that he can jump in until ackmondual is available again. You may proceed at will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

ShawnI wrote:
First question: should I roll the die for us to get more cards? I generally think this is a good idea, but I wanted the group's opinion.

I also think this is a good idea.

ShawnI wrote:
Next question: is someone currently sitting pretty for dealing with the Nazgul that will be appearing?

Pippin can hide from the Nazgul.

ShawnI wrote:
Finally, looking forward to the council in Rivendell, and without knowing what we're going to get from Elrond, I'm a bit low on gray at the moment.

Pippin has the Friendship available to join the Fellowship and is currently low on Fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
2 - Nazgul. I can Hide twice from the Nazgul so we won't have to worry about Sauron advancing, if that's okay with everybody.

I think Pippin should do the hiding since the color of the cards doesn't matter for him.

chockle wrote:
In any case, not knowing what Elrond will give me, but I'll already have a lot of Fight and nothing much else.

That's great for Moria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hm. I would love to get Sam's input, but I also don't want to hold the game up too much when three of the other players are all in agreement. I'll just go with the die roll so we can get the cards dealt out and start talking about how to split them.

Hm... I'm going to try a custom die roll, actually...
Preparations: 1custom6{Blank;1 Corruption;2 Corruption;3 Corruption;Discard 2 Cards;Sauron Advances} -> ( 3 Corruption) -> 3 Corruption

Bah. I guess this is the "Frodo runs toward Sauron" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 215608. ShawnI
  • 1custom6{Blank;1 Corruption;2 Corruption;3 Corruption;Discard 2 Cards;Sauron Advances} =
  • ( 3 Corruption) =
  • 3 Corruption
  • Preparations:
  • Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 pm
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry Sam didn't input anything to the discussions. Too busy trimming the flowers under the windowsill.

'Please Mr Gandalf Sir. Don't turn me into anything unnatural'

Oh and if we need travel cards I almost have a hand full.

'If I take one more step, it'll be the furthest I have ever been from home'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.