Subject: LotR PBF #2 - A different fellowship of the Ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dear fellow Hobbits, we need to make a decision.

Should I sacrifice myself and use Gollum to advance three steps on the main activity line (which will give me two die rolls)?

Or should I try to survive until my next turn by using Gollum on the Friendship track, thereby giving us the chance to get Eowyn before the Lord of the Nazgul attacks?

In any case I plan to use Gandalfs Foresight to give us one or two more turns without Event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Merry, I used the staff now because I want all the events (even the first one) to be later. I don't care as much about us having shields to spend, but I just didn't want us to draw another event tile we couldn't ignore and suddenly be attacked by the Lord of the Nazgul. I thought of the staff as basically a tool I could use to say "hey, let's hold off on events for one more tile, OK?"

Besides, I wasn't going to use it for the discard three cards event tile - I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure we have a lot of fighting and hiding in our hands that we don't really need any more. In Mordor I like to travel, travel, travel. I'll make friends if I can, but mostly I want to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pippin, I think sacrificing yourself to move us three spaces would be great. If Merry can move us a little farther on the traveling track, I can then either finish it off or set it up so that Sam will be able to take us out. I've got on my running shoes, and I'm ready for a sprint through Mordor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Merry
7 cards

Frodo, you are absolutely right. I forgot that Staff was the one that only works with the 3 Icon Event tiles. Agree.
Pip, I think you should use Gollum for Travel. I know it's dangerous, but I think it's our best bet.
To all, I can Travel w once on my turn, but to Travel again, I'd need to use my Miruvor (One player pass a card to another player) and get a Travel g card from someone. I also have available my Phial (Active player does not reveal next tile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So be it.

I play Friendship w to get another Shield and then I play Gollum as Guide through Mordor (three Travelling) to advance three steps on the Main Track. This gives me two more Shields (bringing the total to five) and forces me to do two die rolls.

I avoid the first die roll by discarding the Belt which gives me the Chance to discard five Shields to use Gandalfs Foresight to examine and arrange the top three Tiles before the second die roll will probably kill me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I could also play Lembas on myself before I do the die roll to draw six Hobbit cards, hoping for a Travel g to pass to Merry with Miruvor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mb
sauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauron
MORDOR
sauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauronsauron

Master Board

scenario board

Events:

- Sam saves Frodo: Each player may discard 3 SHIELDS to either draw 2 Hobbit cards or move one step towards the LIGHT
- Lord of the Nazgûl attacks: One player discards Éowyn card then each player draws 1 Hobbit card, otherwise each player 1
- Battle of the Pelennor Fields: Each player discards 1 HEART token otherwise 1 and discards 2 cards
- Mouth of Sauron: Each player discards 1 SUN token otherwise 1 and discards 2 cards
- Surrounded by dark forces: Group discards 7 SHIELDS otherwise sauronsauronsauron
- THE RING IS MINE!: sauron YOU LOSE sauron

Available Feature cards:

Army of the dead* - double Fight g
Ghân* - double Travel w
Éowyn* - double Joker w

*all Mordor feature cards to be obtained in Friendship track in the order given above

Available Gandalf Cards (all cost 5):

- Persistence: One player draws 4 hobbit cards
- Foresight: One player rearranges the top 3 tiles
- Guidance: Active player uses double joker
- Magic: After moving the event marker ignore the event
- Healing: One player moves 2 towards the light

The event tiles:

Sam - Ring-bearer
Hand: 5 Cards
Shields: 4
Rings: 0
Hearts: 0
Suns: 0

Pippin
Hand: 6 Cards
Shields: 2

Merry
Hand: 7 Cards
Shields: 0

Frodo
Hand: 5 Cards
Shields: 1

The result of the d6:

1- blank
2- 1
3- 2
4- 3
5- bacon
6- sauron

Active player:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, Pippin, if you called Gandalf for Guidance, and immediately used the two magic for Traveling, we can be out of here in two turns. I think that would be better than doing either Foresight or Persistence.

I could pass Merry an elven rope (2 travelling, grey), and then he can go three and have a single die roll - and then I would go two in traveling and have a single die roll as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Frodo, this is a good idea but according to the rules it is not possible to call for Gandalfs Guidance at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I read the rules again and they say I can still call Gandalf (except Guidance) before applying the result of the die roll.

So, if Pedro allows me to do that I'd like to roll the die before I call Gandalf:

The roll is 1custom6{Blank;1 Corruption;2 Corruption;3 Corruption;Discard 2 Cards;Sauron Advances} -> ( 3 Corruption) -> 3 Corruption

Edit: This means I have to call Gandalf immediately, which excludes Guidance, leaving only Persistence and Foresight as options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 234788. umbaci
  • 1custom6{Blank;1 Corruption;2 Corruption;3 Corruption;Discard 2 Cards;Sauron Advances} =
  • ( 3 Corruption) =
  • 3 Corruption
  • The roll is
  • Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 pm
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just one clarification! Pippin has 2 shields and might actually die before he can call on Gandalf!

Although we mostly play this way: play two cards and execute effects.

The actual rules is: play one card, execute effects, then play a second if you like.

So by playing Gollum first, Pippin will have to roll the die twice which might kill him before he can play the second card to obtain the fifth shield.

Just though I'd clarify this sauron

EDIT: Id din't read Pippin's second post thoroughtly, so you have to actually roll 2 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I played Friendship first, then I played Gollum avoiding the die roll caused by the Main Track with the Belt.

After using Gollum I have to roll the die, which I did. But the Rules say, before applying the result of a die roll I can still call Gandalf and play yellow cards.

Is there a special rule with Gollum, which forbids interrupting the card effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can't remember any specific rule to that. Personally I'm divided in this particular case.

Although you can play yellow cards at any time, including after rolling a die and before applying its effect, it is also true (if I recall correctly) that you first resolve a card's effect before you play another one (and this is true to the yellow cards as well I believe), since in this case, the first die roll is part of the card's effect, if you play a yellow card before applying the die effect, you are effectively resolving two card effects simultaneously.

So in this case, Pippin would die before being able to call for Gandalf.

That's my personal opinion however, and I will have to have a better look at the rules before I make this my final statement.

EDIT: Small correction here. I wrote:

Quote:
Although you can play yellow cards at any time, including after rolling a die and before applying its effect,

This is incorrect. You roll a die and you apply the effect before you can play a yellow card. The only situation is when you draw an event tile, then you can play a yellow feature card before resolving the tile.

I'm pretty sure now that Pippin cannot play the Belt before he rolls the Gollum die, but I posted the question for second opinions nevertheless. Let's see what other people say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It seems you're good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks a lot, Pedro!

Then I would like to proceed with the original Plan and discard five Shields to call in Gandalfs Foresight to examine and arrange the top three Tiles before the die roll kills me.

Merry, if you would like to have some Lembas Bread or an Elven Cloak, you could play Miruvor now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Merry
7 cards
Ah yes, I play - Miruvor: One Player may pass 1 card to another player hoping to get Lembas Bread from Pippin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're welcome, Merry.

I was waiting to get the next three Tiles from Pedro via Geekmail, but I just realized that he is probably waiting for me to draw them myself.

So I continue.

1st Tile 1custom20{Travel;Friend;Friend;Friend;Hide;Hide;Hide;Fight;Fight;Fight;2CorruptionorSauron;threeCardsorEvent;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Ringbearer;Ringbearer} -> ( Hide) -> Hide
2nd Tile 1custom19{Travel;Friend;Friend;Friend;Hide;Hide;Fight;Fight;Fight;2CorruptionorSauron;threeCardsorEvent;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Ringbearer;Ringbearer} -> ( 2CorruptionorSauron) -> 2CorruptionorSauron
3rd Tile 1custom18{Travel;Friend;Friend;Friend;Hide;Hide;Fight;Fight;Fight;threeCardsorEvent;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Ringbearer;Ringbearer} -> ( Event) -> Event

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 236575. umbaci
  • 1custom20{Travel;Friend;Friend;Friend;Hide;Hide;Hide;Fight;Fight;Fight;2CorruptionorSauron;threeCardsorEvent;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Ringbearer;Ringbearer} =
  • ( Hide) =
  • Hide
  • 1st Tile
  • Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:47 am
  • [+]
  • 236576. umbaci
  • 1custom19{Travel;Friend;Friend;Friend;Hide;Hide;Fight;Fight;Fight;2CorruptionorSauron;threeCardsorEvent;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Ringbearer;Ringbearer} =
  • ( 2CorruptionorSauron) =
  • 2CorruptionorSauron
  • 2nd Tile
  • Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:49 am
  • [+]
  • 236577. umbaci
  • 1custom18{Travel;Friend;Friend;Friend;Hide;Hide;Fight;Fight;Fight;threeCardsorEvent;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Event;Ringbearer;Ringbearer} =
  • ( Event) =
  • Event
  • 3rd Tile
  • Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:51 am
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So if Merry would use the Phial we could have two more turns without Event.

Edit: Please just pick the Tiles at will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Huh, I wonder if it would have made more sense for us to use the alternate Foresight card designed for use with a black bag (as opposed to a tile stack): Draw 5 tiles and put them face up. Players choose tiles from this set of 5 until they are all used.

Regardless - if we can go two turns without an event, we can move pretty close to the end - close enough so that if things start to go horribly wrong we can try using the ring to get out of here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Frodo, the alternate Foresight card is meant to be used only with the Dark Events Variant from the Sauron Expansion I think.

And just to make it clear: Pippin passes Lembas Bread to Merry before he dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Platy Hiker
msg tools
Pardon the comment from the sidelines here (I've been enjoying following your game), but I think your game may be moving very slowly at this point because a bit of miscommunication.

Pippin - are you waiting for input from the other players before you roll the die to complete this stage of your turn? If so, I suggest you say what input you are looking for. Otherwise, I think the other players are waiting for you to roll.

To all players: In general, if you want input before doing your next action, I suggest you make it very explicit to avoid problems. (e.g. I would like opinions on whether to use peanut butter or ham before I make the sandwich.)

Best wishes on the remainder of your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for your input Platy Hiker

It's also obviously related to me as moderator it's my duty to keep things moving and send reminders to other players. I don't think there has been any miscommunication so far and things have been working at a good pace till now.

I haven't pressed anybody so far because we're still finishing the first week after New Year, so I'm letting everybody gather back their strength after a long and hard night from 31st to 1st

Starting tomorrow I'm sure things get back on track, I will see to that sauron

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are a few suggestions that are useful and that players might want to take over, thanks for that and for following the PBF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks a lot for the input, but I already rolled the die several posts ago (before the discussion about calling Gandalf started).

So I think I'm finished with my turn (and out of the game) and wish my fellow Hobbits good Luck for the trek to Mount Doom.

Edit: And I discard the remainder of my hand which is Legolas and Elven Cloak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Merry
6 cards
Before taking my turn, I'd like our moderator to update, just to make sure I'm on the same page. Then the question is which tiles are we going to use and in what order, remembering that I have Phial which lets the turn-taker not have to take a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Will do all the updates later today! On my way to work! puff puff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.