Hide
9 Posts

Xtra Innings» Forums » General

Subject: Custom teams rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Jansen
msg tools
I love this game. It's about as perfect as a quick baseball game can get. It actually sparked my interest in finding a similar type of game for football. I found 1st & Goal, and the one thing I think would be cool for Xtra innings to pull from them is their use of custom teams with different identities (passing heavy, great defense, etc)...I'm not sure how it'd be done, but I'll plant the seed and see where it goes.

You could make team profiles such as strong hitting, strong pitching, strong defense, etc and have each team have a combination of "Team Cards" for offense and defense consisting of extra hit cards, strikeout cards, etc. At any point you could replace 1 or 2 cards in your deck with cards from your team cards (randomly drawn from your shuffled team card deck).

Bad hitting teams might have more negative cards such as pop out or strikeout, while better hitting teams might have more hit cards or power hitting teams might have a few HR cards in there, great pitching teams might have more strikeouts...

The idea isn't perfect, but I thought I'd start a conversation on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds interesting. I wonder how well you could approximate "real teams" and how much argument there would be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
Well, I think it would just have to be agreed upon. Either someone could make the profiles and release on the forum, or make your own.

That part is easy in my book. It's implementing a variant to the game to handle it that I'm questioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nordquist
United States
Rockford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take what offense you have in the game as average and then increase hits, etc by say 8% for good offensive teams and 17% for excellent offense teams. Then do the opposite for poor offense with weak offense being the worst category. Repeat this procedure for the defense. How does that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
Sounds plausible, but how would you increase hits? I still see the need for add-on cards to make it work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nordquist
United States
Rockford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There would need to be add on cards or extra draws for better hitters maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titan Lord
United States
California
flag msg tools
Never played the game but have looked at how it is played on their website...seems to me you could customize it by making certain players only able to use certain cards when batting etc. Such as a light hitter could only use the home run card as a double etc. defense could only use certain out cards if the team defense rated high enough. All of this info could be done on the "team" cards so you wouldn't need to change any of the game cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fcd642311 wrote:
Never played the game but have looked at how it is played on their website....

There is no website in this listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
Woah, I really like that idea. You could create lineups with different profiles. Not enough to get so complex as there are tons of great games that accomplish that sort of thing, but you could have something like in addition to the normal baseline game:

Batters
----------
Light - HR = DOUBLE
Power - DOUBLE = HR (once per game)
Contact - OUT = single (or play any non HR hit from your hand, 1 per game)

Fielding
----------
Gold - overrule any error after it's played or turn any hit into an out (2 per game)

Iron - offense can turn any hit into a single (once per game)

Pitching
----------
Ace - Only need 2 strikes to strike out a pitcher (twice per game) - the abstraction is that he got the batter behind in the count and lit him up with the 3rd strike

Struggler - Walks a batter on 3 balls (twice per game offense choice)

Obviously a pitching change would change this rating as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.