Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Just received this on their mailing list:

Quote:
Once upon a time, I decided to publish great games. Somewhere along the way, I decided to revolutionize and improve the board game industry, unlocking greater awesomeness for gamers through “improved” methods... Revolution in the board game industry is difficult for a plethora of reasons, which I will choose not to list.

I have realized that I need to just “Shut up, and just make great games”.

I know that this might worry some TMG fans, so let me restate:
TMG continues to be devoted to making fantastic games with the foundation of quality game play.
TMG continues to concentrate on game design, game development, artwork, rulebooks, usability, production (manufacturing) quality and so forth.
TMG continues to carefully select quality games to import to North America in English, especially if they would otherwise be difficult to obtain.
TMG will rely on our partners to bring our games to stores so that stores can bring them directly to you. Our partner in this will be PSI, who sells to all distributors, so if you want to carry TMG products in your store, then please contact the distributors that you use.
Thankfully, we are trusted by thousands of people for their gaming dollars.

We tried to run as we just started to understand how to walk, and as a result, some individuals feel abandoned or slighted by TMG or myself personally, despite best intentions.

We have been far from perfect, and constantly work to become better. TMG has come a long distance, and much is expected of us, I expect much. I not only hope and pray to fulfill those expectations, but I work hard to do so.

Thus, I would like to apologize to anybody and everybody that has felt hurt by our actions. If there is an outstanding issue that still bothers you, then please email me directly, at michael@tastyminstrelgames.com to resolve it, I will do the best that I can. I don’t want resentment from the past to continue forward.

I started Tasty Minstrel Games because I love games, and I want to see high quality games published. I believe that TMG sees great support in the community, because we do just that.

I am tired of trying new things, and it is especially exhausting when something goes wrong.

Maybe I suffer from a bad case of the “OOOOOHHH! SHINY” syndrome.

TMG will experiment less, keep awesome games in stock, and concentrate on making awesome games.

All TMG products will be available through regular distribution channels if those distributors will have us. And I hope that they will. Distributors will be able to obtain our games through our long-term and wonderful partner PSI, who has been here for me through every dumb thing I have done. I am glad to be out of the business of worrying about how to improve the hobby board game ecosystem.

Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your devotion to TMG. Thank you for every time you play one of our games. I make games for them to be played, and I like to know that you enjoy them.

I feel blessed to be able to find success as a board game publisher, it is truly awesome.

Your Humble Game Servant,

Michael Mindes, Founder
Tasty Minstrel Games

I'm assuming this means the whole Game Salute thing isn't working out, and they're abandoning it. Which I feel is a good move. I like TMG's games, but I don't like Game Salute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmb
I think I can safely say that my favorite part of TMG is their games, so this seems like a good move. More access, more gaming, less politicized distribution models
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmb
Quote:
Once upon a time, I decided to publish great games. Somewhere along the way, I decided to revolutionize and improve the board game industry, unlocking greater awesomeness for gamers through “improved” methods... Revolution in the board game industry is difficult for a plethora of reasons, which I will choose not to list.
Thus, I would like to apologize to anybody and everybody that has felt hurt by our actions. If there is an outstanding issue that still bothers you, then please email me directly, at michael@tastyminstrelgames.com to resolve it, I will do the best that I can. I don’t want resentment from the past to continue forward.
I am tired of trying new things, and it is especially exhausting when something goes wrong.

TMG will experiment less, keep awesome games in stock, and concentrate on making awesome games.

I'm curious to know what's encompassed by the "experimentation" and "revolutionary" sorts of things that they tried, that they're now backing out of. Their use of Kickstarter? Maybe just their style of using Kickstarter? Stretch goals? Game Salute?

I'm not sure what all's encompassed here. Does this mean there won't be any Kickstarters from TMG anymore? Or is this pretty-well limited to GameSalute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This "apology and path change" notice could have been driven by any number of things. Reasonable minds could conclude that it was the result of TMG's decision to explore an avenue that utilizes Game Salute. However, I think it is unfair to put words in Michael's mouth.

In my opinion, the important thing to take away from these events is that this notice from TMG (led by Michael) is in fact evidence of their commitment to making/publishing and stocking/distributing great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Please support King of Clubs on Kickstarter at http://kck.st/15ImgTf
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is because copies of Ground Floor were being sold at Essen even though there was a promise in the Kickstarter project that backers would get the game before any body else, including convention sales:

TMG via Ground Floor Kickstarter Project Page wrote:
Kickstarter and Retailer Preview Night copies will be released at least 1 month before any further release. This includes any conventions.

It also probably has to do with the Essen pick-up mess for Kickstarters.

The BGG thread about these issues is located HERE.

There is also another thread discussing this same e-mail apology - So why is Tasty Minstrel Games Apologizing to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
macleodsr wrote:
This "apology and path change" notice could have been driven by any number of things. Reasonable minds could conclude that it was the result of TMG's decision to explore an avenue that utilizes Game Salute. However, I think it is unfair to put words in Michael's mouth.

In my opinion, the important thing to take away from these events is that this notice from TMG (led by Michael) is in fact evidence of their commitment to making/publishing and stocking/distributing great games.

It does not seem to come with a commitment to clear and direct communication to their customers. One can come up with several theories as to what this all really means, but Mr. Mendes knows what it means and could have told us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
Quote:

I'm curious to know what's encompassed by the "experimentation" and "revolutionary" sorts of things that they tried, that they're now backing out of. Their use of Kickstarter? Maybe just their style of using Kickstarter? Stretch goals? Game Salute?

I'm not sure what all's encompassed here. Does this mean there won't be any Kickstarters from TMG anymore? Or is this pretty-well limited to GameSalute?

There were other things planned, which will not happen now. Things I was trying and preparing to try became apparent that they would not be sufficiently successful.

They could have even failed so bad as to destroy TMG, and that would suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
macleodsr wrote:

It does not seem to come with a commitment to clear and direct communication to their customers. One can come up with several theories as to what this all really means, but Mr. Mendes knows what it means and could have told us.

Or instead of continuing with possible conspiracy theories, you can leave it at what it is.

It is an admittance that we are not perfect, and much of what has gone wrong has be driven by choices I have made which were toward trying to improve the industry as a whole instead of just making great games and making them available.

I want to apologize to those that feel wronged, and to address them individually with those people. Which is why I asked them to email me directly.

I have chosen not to state anything specific, but not out of motives for malice or deception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think they're cutting back on the midnight goat sacrifices, maybe some other stuff too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Stefan Feld games are balanced and mathematically elegant while being obtuse, emotionally detached, and mechically inelegant. The most overrated designer of modern games. The King of JASE.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming some of this might be connected to how long Kings of Air and Steam has been delayed?

If so, I want to express my support to TMG as a KS supporter. I don't need to have any given game within one month, six months or even one year. Stuff happens. As long as I understand what has happened I'm cool with delays. I don't need an update every month to reassure me that things are still in progress.

I see a lot of prima donna attitude by gamers who act as if they're being denied their basic rights just because a KS game is late. I don't care how late it is, it's a game and our lives go on with or without it.

I've been impressed with almost all of TMGs titles, their efforts and their honesty about what's happening with their products.

I hope this mea culpa satisfies their critics. People like me, we don't really need the apology. If it quiets the restless then great for us. I'm tired of all the screaming about what amounts to molehills.

I look forward to playing KoAaS - whenever I receive it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarathustra
United States
Atchison
Kansas
flag msg tools
Der der der der der der der der der
badge
Become who you are!
mb
DrMayhem wrote:
I want to apologize to those that feel wronged, and to address them individually with those people.

I got the email too and was really quite curious as to what the big problem was. I trust that the mass email was sent out of a genuine concern to right past wrongs, but I must say that the vagueness of the apology misses the mark for your overall goal.

If you are going to apologize publicly you should be specific about what you are sorry for.

This is exasperated by the quote above because it is an apology that basically says that you didn't do anything wrong -- instead you apologize to those who feel wronged which leaves the distinct impression that their feelings may not entirely line up with reality.

I think it is clear that you desire to apologize to those who actually were wronged by the actions of your company. If that is true. Please say so.

I'm not asking for an apology for the apology, but the avoidance of directly speaking to wrongs you wish to apologize for seems like another misstep.

That said, I hope that you can move past these issues and have great success in the future. I would like to see that part of this apology means that your games will be more readily available with the retailers I regularly do business with, but I don't know if that will be true or not right now.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
dkeisen wrote:
macleodsr wrote:

Or instead of continuing with possible conspiracy theories, you can leave it at what it is.

It is an admittance that we are not perfect, and much of what has gone wrong has be driven by choices I have made which were toward trying to improve the industry as a whole instead of just making great games and making them available.

I want to apologize to those that feel wronged, and to address them individually with those people. Which is why I asked them to email me directly.

I have chosen not to state anything specific, but not out of motives for malice or deception.

If you don't want to spawn conspiracy theories, be specific. If you want to apologize for real, be specific.

Or better yet, stop mass emailing your customers about your Drama-Of-The-Month. I've found your marketing to be off-putting in the past, but emails like this one are totally unprofessional and create more confusion than they resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gertbert wrote:

If you don't want to spawn conspiracy theories, be specific. If you want to apologize for real, be specific.

Or better yet, stop mass emailing your customers about your Drama-Of-The-Month. I've found your marketing to be off-putting in the past, but emails like this one are totally unprofessional and create more confusion than they resolve.

Yes! Now you must apologize for apologizing!

Mistakes were made, lives were lost, and the people responsible for sacking the people responsible have themselves been sacked. Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
gertbert wrote:

Yes! Now you must apologize for apologizing!

Mistakes were made, lives were lost, and the people responsible for sacking the people responsible have themselves been sacked. Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game!

I apologize for the apology.

We cannot afford to hire anybody to sack those responsible, and those responsible are me, who will not be sacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
Apology accepted! Just don't do it again next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
dkeisen wrote:
macleodsr wrote:

An apology that does not acknowledge what specifically is being apologized for is not an apology at all. Apologies require the apologizer to acknowledge what went wrong, acknowledge that they are responsible for it, and acknowledge that they regret their actions.

Without these elements, it's more like a "I'm sorry I got caught" instead of "I'm sorry I stole the cookie" or an "I'm sorry that you feel insulted" instead of "I'm sorry I insulted you".

An apology needs to be specific. The wronged party feels you made a specific mistake when you did Specific Action X and needs to be reassured that while you may have thought it was a good idea at the time, you now recognize that you were wrong to do Specific Action X, and in future situations you would not make the same choice. However if you are vague in your apology, they do not get that reassurance. For all they know, you still think it was a good idea to do Specific Action X. You're just sorry that it resulted in negative consequences for you. Or you think it was a good idea to do Specific Action X, but really regret doing Specific Action Y.

A google search on what makes a good apology will bring you unanimous agreement on this point- an apology needs to make clear that you understand specifically what you did that was wrong and how it hurt the person you are apologizing to.

There are people who are unhappy with your company for how it handled Kickstarter orders at Essen. There are also people who are unhappy with your company for its use of GameSalute for distribution.

The people unhappy about Kickstarter will remain unhappy with your company, thinking that you might not regret how you handled that situation, and that you're just apologizing for using GameSalute. The people unhappy about GameSalute will remain unhappy with your company, thinking that you might not regret using GameSalute and you're just apologizing for Kickstarter issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must apologize in the exact manner I deem required or it doesn't count!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
An apology that does not acknowledge what specifically is being apologized for is not an apology at all. Apologies require the apologizer to acknowledge what went wrong, acknowledge that they are responsible for it, and acknowledge that they regret their actions. [/q]

I'm always telling this to my kids, but they don't listen. Maybe if they hear it from BGG, that will get them to own up to their mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who read the email in Eeyore's voice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor George
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had to come here to see if I could figure out what happened and if I should be upset about something. I am a kickstarter backer of Kings of Air and Steam and Urbanization and many many many other projects. I don't think a single one has been completed to schedule. I think many Kickstarter projects are over ambitious and probably don't want to dissuade potential backers by putting out a conservative timeline. I have seen countless projects lose money, or get swamped by too many orders, or start to go off the rails because one piece of the puzzle isn't fitting correctly.

Looking at some of the other threads, one of the issues was a promise wasn't kept, but that promise isn't really crucial to my enjoyment of the game. It just reads to me as bad marketing copy. It had no influence at all in my pledging.

I hate to pile on here, but I agree with those that stated that the apology should have been more clear. It seems to be a letter aimed at those that are unhappy with the company. If you didn't have any issues, then it was just confusing or called attention to the issues that you weren't aware of. I am ambivalent. I'll get my games someday and enjoy them (or not) and the next time there is a TMG product available, I will purchase it (or not) based on my interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the party of the first part deemed it necessary to ask forgiveness from the party of the second part. The party of the second part has recieved an email from the party of the first part. However the party of the second part and the party of the third part are confused about said email by the party of the first part.The party of the fourth part is upset because he did not get an invite to the party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow, this seems like it needs these tags:

Skyjack wrote:
< captjacksparrow>It seems the party of the first part deemed it necessary to ask forgiveness from the party of the second part. The party of the second part has recieved an email from the party of the first part. However the party of the second part and the party of the third part are confused about said email by the party of the first part.The party of the fourth part is upset because he did not get an invite to the party.< /captjacksparrow>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Somehow, this seems like it needs these tags:

Skyjack wrote:
< captjacksparrow>It seems the party of the first part deemed it necessary to ask forgiveness from the party of the second part. The party of the second part has recieved an email from the party of the first part. However the party of the second part and the party of the third part are confused about said email by the party of the first part.The party of the fourth part is upset because he did not get an invite to the party.< /captjacksparrow>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.