Subject: Manneken Pis a Wonder of the Ancient World? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on! Manneken Pis a Wonder of the Ancient World shake.

What's next? ... an expansion for Samurai that includes a Toyota tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want things to be historically accurate, board gaming might not be for you... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Island of Catan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer is the wonder that built the ancient world - unless Mannekin Pis is deleting that in its latest version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Martin
Australia
Dimboola
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Just like Island of Catan!

And the Apple Head office wonder as well. (Available on Ios)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's hard to get promo, so it's good that it will be widely available.

And, if beer is gone, I hope it's got a worthy replacement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should keep it OUT of the expansion. Let it remain a special promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Shao-Hui
Taiwan
flag msg tools
http://boardgame-record.blogspot.tw/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I think they should keep it OUT of the expansion. Let it remain a special promo.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
e0004252 wrote:
Trump wrote:

+1

It is changing so it will still be a special promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Lademann
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is: buy and enjoy if you like it or simply ignore it if you dont like it. Your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of agree with Zalco: Manneken Pis doesn't fit with the other 3 wonders.

I do like it that they might have found something to implement the MP-wonder even better in the game instead of a little joke that it is now (with the beer), but make the new Manneken Pis a promo as well (a 2nd edition promo! laugh) as Trump said in this thread. Maybe they should describe the expansion differently?

7 Wonders: Wonder Pack. Three wonders of the ancient world (...) also including the Manneken Pis wonder: the sequel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a long term strategy from the publisher. Think like this - for people playing this game in the year 4012, it will already be an ancient wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am kinda surprised this didnt include the Catan wonder as well since it'd make it handy for those of us who have none of the extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference between Manneken and Catan Island is that Catan is fairly easily available to any who want it. Manneken - less so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the promos for this game are nothing but a string of jokes. And that's absolutely fine for a promo. Let the collector's chase them down as they like. I only look for promos that I believe enhance the game and if I can't get those promos... well so what. I realize that puts me at odds with nearly every other member of BGG (well, at least those that post messages). Anyway, if I were to buy this little expansion, I'd be disappointed to get a joke inside instead of an actual component to enhance my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
If you want things to be historically accurate, board gaming might not be for you... ;-)

The Wonder of the Ancient World isn't necessarily historically accurate in the first place, as it isn't 100% certain that all of them existed. I wouldn't mind getting Atlantis or something as a wonder, but Manneken Pis as a wonder that's just a bad joke and it doesn't fit the theme at all. Fine as a promo, but as a part of an "serious" expansion - no thanks! Manneken Pis is from the 17th century so it's not Ancient at all, and there's no way it could be considered a modern day wonder either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I have to agree with some posters, Manneken Pis was a good funny little promo but really has no place in the game outside of that.

It would be good if they kept the promos funny and the expansions serious

catan was a good example of a fun little promo, and they could keep that kind of theme, and then stay with the more serious (or even something like atlantis that was suggested) for the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Payot
msg tools
The Great Wall as we know it was built in the 15th century.

Granted, the Chinese built other "Great Walls" before but the one made out of stone was built less than 600 years ago.

Also granted, the Wall is a lot more impressive than the little boy who pees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
The Wonder of the Ancient World isn't necessarily historically accurate in the first place, as it isn't 100% certain that all of them existed.

I admit I am no expert, but I tend to keep up with ancient era archeology. Of Sidon and Philo's popular list, The Hanging Gardens is the only one actually in doubt. Colossus in the only other one we don't have have peices of, but there is no actual doubt as to its existence. Even when you start getting into other people's lists, I'm not aware of any "non-canonical" wonders (if there can be said to be such a thing) that didn't actually exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Zalco wrote:
The Wonder of the Ancient World isn't necessarily historically accurate in the first place, as it isn't 100% certain that all of them existed.

I admit I am no expert, but I tend to keep up with ancient era archeology. Of Sidon and Philo's popular list, The Hanging Gardens is the only one actually in doubt. Colossus in the only other one we don't have have peices of, but there is no actual doubt as to its existence. Even when you start getting into other people's lists, I'm not aware of any "non-canonical" wonders (if there can be said to be such a thing) that didn't actually exist.

It was the The Hanging Gardens I was thinking of. I wasn't sure if the existence of any of the other wonders where in any real doubt, unless you consider Atlantis a "non-canonical" wonder. My point was simply that I wasn't looking for 100% historical accuracy. I just want the new wonders to somehow connect to the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
I am kinda surprised this didnt include the Catan wonder as well since it'd make it handy for those of us who have none of the extras.

Well, it's not too late... CLICK

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They lost me on the historical accuracy when Byzatium - The Hagia Sophia was released with Cities. The Hagia Sophia was built from the remains of the Temple of Artemis (specifically the columns). The two literally cannot exist side-by-side.

I will have to consider whether or not to buy this pack. Stonehenge is unknowably old, and the other two are new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
e0004252 wrote:
Trump wrote:

+1

Translation "I like it when I have things that other people don't"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still want to see Solomon's Temple or the Library of Alexandria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
e0004252 wrote:
Trump wrote:

+1

Translation "I like it when I have things that other people don't"

... or I like it when it's just a "fun" promo and not as a part of an offical expansion for the game and if you want this expansion you have to pay for this bad joke, if you want the rest of the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.