tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulders
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermenegilde wrote:
The Great Wall as we know it was built in the 15th century.

Granted, the Chinese built other "Great Walls" before but the one made out of stone was built less than 600 years ago.

Also granted, the Wall is a lot more impressive than the little boy who pees.

If you compare the 2 structures to the size of the country that build it, it's about as equally impressive imho.

Trump wrote:
For me, the promos for this game are nothing but a string of jokes. And that's absolutely fine for a promo. Let the collector's chase them down as they like. I only look for promos that I believe enhance the game and if I can't get those promos... well so what. I realize that puts me at odds with nearly every other member of BGG (well, at least those that post messages). Anyway, if I were to buy this little expansion, I'd be disappointed to get a joke inside instead of an actual component to enhance my game.

The function of this wonder (copy-ing your neighbours effects) is rather good, and it is played like that 90% of the time at my place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
Manneken Pis as a wonder that's just a bad joke and it doesn't fit the theme at all.
But it fits the sense of humor born by the publishers - right down to the little sombrero worn by young mr. P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Zalco wrote:
Manneken Pis as a wonder that's just a bad joke and it doesn't fit the theme at all.
But it fits the sense of humor born by the publishers - right down to the little sombrero worn by young mr. P.

Some days he pretends to be a Spartan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
De Rode Dobbelsteen
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
I could understand the complaints if 7 wonders was a very serious, strongly thematic civilization builder, but to complain about the accuracy of a simple, card game / filler with a pasted on theme, why does it really matter what the wonders are.

Manneken pis in itself is a very good wonder to have, both sides if you buikd the a side in the 1st era, so nothing wrong with playing that one during the game, it is actualy one of my favourite wonders.

Zalco wrote:
... or I like it when it's just a "fun" promo and not as a part of an offical expansion for the game and if you want this expansion you have to pay for this bad joke, if you want the rest of the expansion.

I assume that the price of adding this wonder to the expansion is (far) less then 50 cents, so it is not asd if it is that much you pay for it.
It is a joke, but not really a bad joke, and it is nice for the people who do not have it yet to get it without having to buy to things at a big price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
lfisher wrote:
e0004252 wrote:
Trump wrote:
I think they should keep it OUT of the expansion. Let it remain a special promo.

+1

It is changing so it will still be a special promo.

I'm in favor of a reprint, because I am not special enough to own one. Anyway, do we know how it will be changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably won't have the beer in this reprinting. Which I am a huge fan of.

I made a post in its forum saying that was one of the reasons why I wasn't planning on getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
De Rode Dobbelsteen wrote:
I could understand the complaints if 7 wonders was a very serious, strongly thematic civilization builder, but to complain about the accuracy of a simple, card game / filler with a pasted on theme, why does it really matter what the wonders are.

Manneken pis in itself is a very good wonder to have, both sides if you buikd the a side in the 1st era, so nothing wrong with playing that one during the game, it is actualy one of my favourite wonders.

The theme gives flavor to the game for me. I know that's not that strong in 7 Wonders, but if they just throw in anything the game looses it's flavor. I know that some games just care about mechanic. It will probally not matter for them, but I appreciate the art and the theme in the games I play.

De Rode Dobbelsteen wrote:

Zalco wrote:
... or I like it when it's just a "fun" promo and not as a part of an offical expansion for the game and if you want this expansion you have to pay for this bad joke, if you want the rest of the expansion.

I assume that the price of adding this wonder to the expansion is (far) less then 50 cents, so it is not asd if it is that much you pay for it.
It is a joke, but not really a bad joke, and it is nice for the people who do not have it yet to get it without having to buy to things at a big price.

So the expansion box will contain 4 wonders at price of 50 cents each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Zalco wrote:

They probally laughed they a.. off each time they played with Manneken Pis during playtesting then - because it's just that funny.
In fact it's almost as funny as this ninja: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
colormage1 wrote:
It probably won't have the beer in this reprinting. Which I am a huge fan of.

I made a post in its forum saying that was one of the reasons why I wasn't planning on getting it.

Good on you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
de rode dobbelsteen (which was Marcel accidentally posting under my boardgameclubs account) wrote:

So the expansion box will contain 4 wonders at price of 50 cents each?

No, the question here is, how much would it cost to add a 4th wonder to an existing box of 3 wonders, and that is probably around 50 cents, since the production costs of the box is probably no more then €2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
For me, the promos for this game are nothing but a string of jokes. And that's absolutely fine for a promo. Let the collector's chase them down as they like. I only look for promos that I believe enhance the game and if I can't get those promos... well so what. I realize that puts me at odds with nearly every other member of BGG (well, at least those that post messages). Anyway, if I were to buy this little expansion, I'd be disappointed to get a joke inside instead of an actual component to enhance my game.
How do you feel that manneken pis does not enhance the game?

It may be a bit of a joke, but that doesn´t mean it is not an enhancement of your game. Manneken pis manages to do both.

With all it´s jokiness in theme and the beer, it is still a great wonder to play, it is actualy one of my favourite wonders to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... but where is the joke if they redo the Wonder and take the beer out? And how many time where you going to laugh that old joke anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
... but where is the joke if they redo the Wonder and take the beer out? And how many time where you going to laugh that old joke anyway?

The joke is not the beer, the joke is adding manneken pis in the list of wonders.

And after the fun has gone out of the joke* you still have a great wonder to play with left.

*and it is still funny when a person who is not familiar enough with the game to know about manneken pis gets that wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
Zalco wrote:

The joke is not the beer, the joke is adding manneken pis in the list of wonders.

And after the fun has gone out of the joke* you still have a great wonder to play with left.

I can see how calling Belgian beer a Wonder of the World could be funny, but calling Manneken Pis a Wonder that's just stupid.

Anyway I think it beside the point if it's funny or not. The game didn't start of as a Munchkin type joke game and most people don't buy it as that - I certainly didn't.

7 Wonders is a game that many casual games and even non-games will pick up. I don't think that they will get this insider joke and in that way I think that it will make the game less accessible.

And at the same time is it posible to think of so many great ancient monuments they could have added insted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
mag74b wrote:
Zalco wrote:

I can see how calling Belgian beer a Wonder of the World could be funny, but calling Manneken Pis a Wonder that's just stupid.

Anyway I think it beside the point if it's funny or not. The game didn't start of as a Munchkin type joke game and most people don't buy it as that - I certainly didn't.
Neither is this game a heavily themed civilization game.

This game is a lightweight card drafting game, where the exact theme behind the cards and wonderboards is secondary to their functionality, and the functionality of Manneken Pis stands.

Zalco wrote:
7 Wonders is a game that many casual games and even non-games will pick up. I don't think that they will get this insider joke and in that way I think that it will make the game less accessible.
I can imagine some people not knowing what manneken pis is, and not realizing that this is a Belgian game, but I do not see how having a wonder card of which you do not know any of the background makes the game any less accesible, can you elaborate on this?

You do not have to be able to get the joke, to be able to play with the Manneken Pis wonder.

Zalco wrote:
And at the same time is it posible to think of so many great ancient monuments they could have added insted.
But this one they already had, and for as far as I know it is mostly sold out, so a reprint was needed anyway. They could have made a separate reprint, or be more practical and add it to an expansion they were going to publish anyway, I think that their choice to add it to an expansion makes the most sense.

I guess producers just never can do it right. When they make a promo with limited availability, people complain about not being able to get it, and when they make it more easily available other people will complain about getting it with saomething they want to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:

This game is a lightweight card drafting game, where the exact theme behind the cards and wonderboards is secondary to their functionality, and the functionality of Manneken Pis stands.

I guess that this just a matter of different opinions. Theme is more important for some people that for others. For me the theme of 7 Wonders is very enjoyable and a important part of the experience when playing the game. It sound like you could care less. I don't think we can find a mutual agreement here.

mag74b wrote:
Zalco wrote:
I can imagine some people not knowing what manneken pis is, and not realizing that this is a Belgian game, but I do not see how having a wonder card of which you do not know any of the background makes the game any less accesible, can you elaborate on this?

I think that many people will look very confused at the Manneken Pis Wonder when they open the Wonder Pack and wonder what's it doing there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
mag74b wrote:

I guess that this just a matter of different opinions. Theme is more important for some people that for others. For me the theme of 7 Wonders is very enjoyable and a important part of the experience when playing the game. It sound like you could care less. I don't think we can find a mutual agreement here.

mag74b wrote:
Zalco wrote:

I think that many people will look very confused at the Manneken Pis Wonder when they open the Wonder Pack and wonder what's it doing there.

I think most people won't be any more confused than seeing the Mausoleum of Halicarnnasus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name of the game is 7 Wonders and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus is one of the 7 Wonders of the World so it really shouldn't surprise anyone that it's in the game. If they don't know that the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus is one of the 7 Wonders, they can goggle it at find out.

With Manneken Pis they will go "what? why?". If they don't know what Manneken Pis is they can goggle it and still go "what? why?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
....or just have a laugh.

....because its a little boy in a sombrero peeing.

.....and its funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
This user is a professional crastinator
mb
Why all that fuzz?
If you don't like Manneken Pis, simply don't play with it.
Hide it beneath the tray. Or sell it on the BGG Marketplace.
This new wonder pack seems to be cheap enough for the 3 other wonders.

And seriously, this isn't as silly as the Carcassonne Catapult expansion by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bonz wrote:
Why all that fuzz?
If you don't like Manneken Pis, simply don't play with it.
Hide it beneath the tray. Or sell it on the BGG Marketplace.
This new wonder pack seems to be cheap enough for the 3 other wonders.

And seriously, this isn't as silly as the Carcassonne Catapult expansion by far.

Which wasn't a give-away - in which case it could have been a funny joke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like, don't use - it's easy - I hate olives, so I don't eat 'em if served.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormP wrote:
Don't like, don't use - it's easy - I hate olives, so I don't eat 'em if served.

The 7 Wonders: Manneken Pis promo is olives served on the side. Manneken Pis in 7 Wonders: Wonder Pack is olives served rigth in the Irish Stew .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
davypi wrote:
If you want things to be historically accurate, board gaming might not be for you... ;-)

The Wonder of the Ancient World isn't necessarily historically accurate in the first place, as it isn't 100% certain that all of them existed. I wouldn't mind getting Atlantis or something as a wonder, but Manneken Pis as a wonder that's just a bad joke and it doesn't fit the theme at all. Fine as a promo, but as a part of an "serious" expansion - no thanks! Manneken Pis is from the 17th century so it's not Ancient at all, and there's no way it could be considered a modern day wonder either.

Totally agree. Atlantis would be a great card,a small peeing boy.... not as much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.