Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Card list anyone? I'll start with the player cards (somewhat paraphrased.

Leadership:

Errand-Rider
Ally
Cost: 1
Willpower: 0
Attack: 0
Defense: 0
HP: 2
Gondor
Action: Exhaust errand-rider to move 1 resource from a hero you control to another hero

Citadel Custodian
Ally
Cost: 5
Willpower: 1
Defense: 1
HP: 3
Gondor
Lower the cost to play Citadel Custodian by 1 for each Gondor ally in play.

Mutual Accord
Event
Cost:0
Action: Until the end of the phase, each Gondor card in play gains Rohan & each Rohan card gains Gondor.

Wealth of Gondor
Event
Cost: 0
Action: Add 1 resource to a Gondor hero's pool.

Tactics

Defender of Ramas (already spoiled)
Behind Strong Walls (alrady spoiled)

Spear of the Citadel
Attachment
Cost: 2
Item, Weapon
Attach to a Tactics character. Restricted. 1 per character. Response: After attached character is declared as defender, deal 1 damage to attacker.

Spirit

Damrod
Unique Ally
Cost: 4
Attack: 2
Defense: 2
HP: 2
Gondor, Ranger
Action: Discard Damrod from play to lower your threat by 1 for each enemy in the staging area.

Light the Beacons
Event
Cost: 5
Action: All characters get +2 defense and do not exhaust to defend until the end of the round.

A Watchful Peace
Event
Cost: 1
Response: After a location leaves play as an explored location, return it to the top of the encounter deck.

Blood of Numenor
Attachment
Cost: 0
Attach to a Gondor or Dunedain hero. Action: Spend 1 resource from attached hero's pool to give attached hero +1 defense for each resource in its resource pool until the end of the phase (limit once per phase).

Lore

Hunter of Lamedon
Ally
Attack: 1
HP: 1
Gondor, Outlands
Response: After you play Hunter of Lamedon from your hand, reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Outlands card, add it to your hand. Otherwise, discard it.

Ithilien Tracker
Ally
Willpower: 0
HP: 3
Gondor, Ranger
Action: Exhaust to lower the threat of the next enemy added to the standing area to 0 until the end of the phase.

Master of Lore
Ally
Cost: 3
Gondor
Action: Exhaust to name a card type. Lower the cost to play Lore cards of that type by 1 until the end of the phase (to a minimum of 1).

Ranger Spikes
Attachment
Trap
Play into the staging area unattached. If unattached, attach Ranger Spikes to the next eligible enemy that enters the staging area. Players do not make engagement checks against attached enemy. Attached enemy gets -2 threat.

Neutral

Envoy of Pelargir
Ally
Gondor
Response: After Envoy of Pelargir enters play, add 1 resource to a Gondor or hero's resource pool

My initial thoughts: Some very interesting cards here. When Defender of Ramas was spoiled, it seemed like the power level for things was going to get boosted in this set, but looking at it now, that's the only card that is significantly more powerful than what we've seen previous. There are some interesting cards here. The worst card is Hunter of Lamedon, and while it's completely unplayable at the moment, when Outlands deck is feasible I might be persuaded.

My favorite cards are Ranger Spikes (both cool and thematic) and Spear of the Citadel (imagine putting that on Gondorian Spearman...). Light the Beacons might be the most useful 5-cost event yet, especially during a siege quest.

More leadership allies are nice, especially cheap ones, which the Errand Rider is and the Custodian can be.

Mutual Accord is the card that I think we all knew was coming since the Core Set.

Cards like Ithilien Tracker and Ranger Spikes are reinvigorating my desire to build a Lore deck focused on manipulating the encounter deck.

I don't know if I'll have time for photos or quest cards, but hopefully someone else has picked it up as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for posting!!! Two Leadership allies!!! I'm about to mess my pants!
Remember that all the Gondor allies can be boosted by Boromir so they effectively all have +1 attack, which makes them all a little better and means even Hunter of Lamedon isn't bad.

It's nice to have some less than 3 cost Lore allies as well.

All great stuff and some that we know will get better with future synergies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit seems to have gotten a lot of defensive cards, not really sure what the theme of spirit is anymore..

That new Leadership ally seems a bit terrible. Costs 5 by default for 1 willpower, 1 defense and 3 hp??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelfwear
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the same, not sure about the fact that Spirit receives combat/defense boost. The 5 cost Leadership ally's mechanic is a good idea but executed badly due to "cost tax" the designers seem to slap on most Leadership allies. His stats are terrible and why anybody should want this guy in his deck? Even when he gets a discount on his cost he seems overpriced and near worthless.

But, I think that these cards are more interesting and fill some gaps better than the Khazad-dum box, so its a step into the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5 cost leadership Ally does at least get cheaper based on all allies in play (even other player's) So if several people are using Gondor Ally decks, he could become 0 cost very quickly, not that bad a blocker for cost 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh the hunter seems very good to me, knowing what's coming.
The spear is lovely for Beregond. I have always enjoyed the spearman from the core set.
The custodian does seem lame at the first sight but mid to late game will often cost 0 in a proper deck.
The mutual Rohan Gondor card is very nice thematically.
Overall a great set of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelfwear
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, havent realized its all gondor allies in play, which makes him a bit better than I thought but still no match to some of the dwarf allies we have seen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Please tell us about a quests. I think there is no difficult scale anymore same as a Hobbit or?
What is the idea of the quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for typing up the spoilers.

I wonder if Tactics has a fourth card to match the other spheres?

And are there more heroes beyond the already-spoiled Boromir and Beregond?

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing screams studly on the first pass, but there is a lot to like. Master of Lore is really interesting with it providing indirect resource acceleration (admittedly at possibly too high of a cost) - certainly an innovative approach. I will be interested to see if I bother to use him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. Was it at your FLGS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is Cardhaus, so yes, but they tend to have things available earlier than most.

I haven't had a chance to do more than glance though the quest cards, but here's a quick preview:

Peril in Pelargir (dl 5) is essentially a street brawl in which you have to fight thugs over a scroll that you are trying to deliver to Faramir. It looks very RPGish. Two of three quest cards are battle.

Into Ithilien (dl 4) pits you against southrons and mumakil. It's got a mechanic that will make you get one or the other of a pair of quest cards. Both siege, battle and normal questing. Plus some nasty threat mechanics.

The Siege of Fair Andres (dl 7) looks epic. All sorts of baddies against you in 5 quest cards of sieges, battles and more. This is the one that incorporates battleground locations that can take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Difficult 5 and 4? what is this. we play this game already long time and what?? This is not challenge at all! Ok 7 is ok. is normal difficult but 4 and 5 who need this. Yes beginners player will be happy what about veterans?
Hobbit was much better.

Anyway thanks for the answer but i bit disappointed about difficult level cose in my opinion everything less then 6 is tooo easy........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Angel
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
Difficult 5 and 4? what is this. we play this game already long time and what?? This is not challenge at all! Ok 7 is ok. is normal difficult but 4 and 5 who need this. Yes beginners player will be happy what about veterans?
Hobbit was much better.

Anyway thanks for the answer but i bit disappointed about difficult level cose in my opinion everything less then 6 is tooo easy........

I disagree. One of the fears I have had with this game is that with time it would fall prey to quest difficulty power creep. While it may be less of a challenge if you use the same deck you used to, for example, beat the battle of lake town, it should provide at least a fresh experience to enjoy less power focused decks with increased thematic gameplay. Us players are not always looking to be challenged gratly. Sometimes we just want to sit back and enjoy the ride with a little less stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
Difficult 5 and 4? what is this...

BROKEN RECORD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narsil0420 wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

BROKEN RECORD!

But we love you Oleg! What would we do without your complaining about how easy all the quests are? It's something I've come to look forward to with every expansion.

EDIT: And to be fair, usually there are at least a couple very challenging quests in each cycle so I'm sure this one won't be any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Lore definitely got the best cards. Ranger Spikes is very good (especially with the upcoming Anborn), and Ithilien Tracker is also pretty sweet when coupled with some encounter deck control. Master of Lore will require a bit more finesse, but it could be the linchpin of an interesting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jjeagle wrote:
I wonder if Tactics has a fourth card to match the other spheres?

And are there more heroes beyond the already-spoiled Boromir and Beregond?

Missed this earlier. No, Tactics gets the short end number-wise (though the cards are all pretty sweet). And no, as advertised there are only two heroes--Boromir & Beregond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
narsil0420 wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

BROKEN RECORD!

But we love you Oleg! What would we do without your complaining about how easy all the quests are? It's something I've come to look forward to with every expansion.

EDIT: And to be fair, usually there are at least a couple very challenging quests in each cycle so I'm sure this one won't be any different.

Yes you right there is some always. And this box should be quite challenge for nightmare mode as well. But really if you create decks to win against the Dragon quest solo which i did difficult 4 looks like a joke.
Still believe we need a system when we can increase difficult of every scenarios. This will be much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
What about encounter cards? How powerful they are in your opinion?
And also there is should be enemies with Archery keyword. How this Archery works? Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Spirit seems to have gotten a lot of defensive cards, not really sure what the theme of spirit is anymore..

I think they need to do that because of the new Siege and Battle keywords. On those sections where we're not using willpower, Spirit loses a lot of it's power. So I think they wanted to boost the defensive capabilities of Spirit so they can help out as well.

For instance, look at the "Against the Shadow" Spirit event card. It allows you to use Spirit's willpower for defense which, during a Seige, essentially allows you to use Spirit's willpower as normal. Kind of funny but there you go. Of course the card has other uses as well...

I really like this move with battle and seige because Spirit was getting too powerful at the expense of Leadership and Tactics. These player cards go a long way towards balancing things out.

I took at look at our current Gondor allies and, with the addition of these cards, here's how it looks:

Leadership
2 Heroes:
Boromir
Imrahil
4 Allies
Guard of the Citadel
Faramir
Errand Rider
Citadel Custodian

Spirit
1 Hero:
Eleanor
1 Ally:
Damrod

Lore
1 Hero:
Denethro
4 Allies:
Warden of Healing
Hunter of Lamedon
Ithilien Tracker
Master of Lore

Tactics
2 Heroes:
Boromir
Beregond
2 Allies
Gondorian Spearman
Defender of Ramas

This kind of leaves Spirit short handed... until you think about Mutual Accord and the AMAZING Gondor/Rohan deck you could create with Eowyn/Boromir/and Imrahil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errand-Rider - not particularly exciting but a decent 2HP chump blocker (added to Snowbourn Scout, the other Leadership chump blocker) with lots of Gondor synergy possibilities. His ability is like a more universal Bifur type ability, not bad for 1 resource. I like him. He could function as a replacement for songs, more versatile but less durable.

Citadel Custodian - Terrible to draw early on unless you can quickly flood with Gondor allies. Even at low cost his stats suck with only 1 Willpower, 0 attack, and 1 Defense. Sure he has Gondor synergy, and he would be nice to play for a cost of 0 or 1, but I'm not sure how excited I would be to deck build with him.

Mutual Accord - Opens up so many awesome possibilities for Gondor/Rohan deckbuilding, and helps ensure that Rohan will maintain at least some some relevance going into the next cycle.

Wealth of Gondor - Handy opener, maybe not so great to draw late game though unless a very efficient deck-draw mechanism is in place. Seems well-suited to play with the new Boromir hero.

Defender of Ramas - The ultimate 2-cost blocker, and also an amazing ally to have around during siege quest stages. In general the utility of Tactics is about to soar so I imagine this guy will fit into a ton of decks.

Behind Strong Walls - Good defensive flexibility, +1 defense and readying all built in. Especially important considering in siege or battle quest stages you will need to be expending your high attack/defense characters to make progress so being able to ready them again for combat will be important.

Spear of the Citadel - Awesome card on many levels. Gondorian Spearman from the core set is still a solid card for many quests, and we needed more equipment cards pretty badly. Free to play on the Beregond hero and seems hand-crafted for him. Downside to this card is that for the most part enemy cards seem to have more and more hitpoints, reducing this card's overall effect.

Damrod - Yet another 4-cost Spirit ally with somewhat sub-par stats but a very interesting ability. His stats are nothing to write home about but his ability has a lot of potential in a 3-4 player game or a secrecy setup. In fact, he's probably the most secrecy-friendly card in the set.

Light the Beacons - A 5-cost power card for a huge combat round or powering through a siege quest stage. Interesting that it is not limited to Gondor characters. These types of cards are usually not that playable but perhaps this one will be worth it in some quests.

A Watchful Peace - Situational at best based on the quest locations available. Everyone likes Banks of the Anduin, but having to pay a resource and card to use it is a bit steep; the location effect better be pretty darn good.

Blood of Numenor - Cool idea for buffing defense of a critical hero but at a hefty cost of holding onto 2 or more unspent resources. Late game this could be pretty powerful, early game probably not so much. But in general I'm really liking the "resource manipulation" theme for Gondor, definitely going to make them unique.

Hunter of Lamedon - 1 of all stats for 2 cost isn't great, but it is versatile and his ability obviously scales with pool of Outlands cards available. Since we already know about Ethir Swordsman coming in the first adventure pack, we can gather that Outlands cards will gain power incredibly quickly with numbers. In fact I'm slightly worried about the power curve of these Outlands guys, with enough cards available they could become insane. Probably not worth playing until we have at least 12-15 Outlands cards.

Ithilien Tracker - His stats aren't super and his ability is somewhat random unless you have been scrying the encounter deck. If he hits on a big enemy, though, he could potentially cancel a good chunk of threat. He does have both Gondor and Ranger keywords, though I don't think Ranger has been used yet.

Master of Lore - Cool idea for a card, and he will go along nicely with the single-sphere hero decks that this cycle looks to encourage. He does provide some possible resource acceleration and he can be triggered the turn he's put into play but unfortunately he's a bit pricy himself and his stats are terrible.

Ranger Spikes - Well we know Anborn is on his way so more traps are welcome. This is a pretty nifty one, it's an alternate version of forest snare that instead holes the enemy in the staging area; it's 1 resource cheaper but has the downsides of possibly leaving some threat to quest against and having less choice on who it gets applied to; the "sniper" type enemies would be especially troublesome.

Envoy of Pelargir - As far as I know this is the first neutral non-Istari ally. Works out to a 1 cost, 1 willpower, 1 attack, 1 HP chump blocker/attacker/quester with no sphere and the Gondor trait. Incredibly useful and versatile and even allows for some resource movement when coming into play. Solid neutral ally for Gondor themed decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, Envoy of Pelargir is the best card that nobody is talking about. Throw that resource on Boromir and you get 2 attack for 1 resource. That's excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
What about encounter cards? How powerful they are in your opinion?
And also there is should be enemies with Archery keyword. How this Archery works? Thank you in advance.

I've only been able to glance at about half of them--one deck is still in shrink--but they certainly look brutal. Lots of restrictions on locations, nasty when revealed effects on enemies.

One treachery in particular is brutal--called Lost Companion or something, everyone is required to remove one character from the quest. Then, if anyone has no characters questing, ALL characters are removed from the quest. This strikes me as nearly Sleeping Sentry-level absurdity, but if you want difficulty, there you go. Though I suppose this is one of those cards that is much more gentle on solo players, which are nice to see.

Archery is interesting--thanks for the reminder. Some cards have "Archery X" keywords--every turn they are in the staging area, you have to do X damage to characters, divided any way you like--first player has final say. The only card I spotted with Archery actually had "Archery X" where X was the number of players in the game. I cannot remember the exact timing of the effect--I think it is at the end of Combat phase, but I could be misremembering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood of Numenor - given, that I often have a dozen or so unspent resources on a hero with Steward of Gondor later in the game, this could be pretty potent for those nasties that you often face at the end of a scenario. It really has broken written all over it and I wouldn't be surprised if this gets errata eventually (just compare it to Protector of Lorien, where you have to drop one card for every point of defense, which is a far higher cost, and still got a limit of 3).

Boromir with Blood of Numenor and Steward of Gondor, and then some cards to keep your Threat low. Never worry about enemies again.

Ranger Spikes - those sound cool (especially with Henemarth around)!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.