Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen an Othello board with 4 black dots.

Are they simply the 4 center (starting) squares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the old board I had, they marked that centre area, if you placed a piece outside there your opponent could get an edge placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
On the old board I had, they marked that centre area, if you placed a piece outside there your opponent could get an edge placement.

Exactly. They mark the weak spot. If you place one piece in the inner square of the dot, you are offering your opponent that corner, which is an extremely strong piece, since it can never be reverted into a colour of your own.

The outer rim squares are generally winning positions (good othello players know how to turn things around), but the corners are just death sentences most of the time. The dots help you remind that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.