Amish Cow

New York
msg tools
mbmbmb
Can someone help me out? How do I insert multiple images onto the same line? The post is ridiculously long in current form, I apologize.

Lets look at the awesome new Classes Morthai developed!
All my information is being pulled from this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/870319/the-silken-threads-su...

Starting Weapons
Grave Robber

Spell Thief

Inquisitor

Warrior

The Grave Shovel
2 handed, melee, Blue/Red, Surge: +1heart, Surge: Stun.

The other two Blue/Red starting items (Greataxe, Longsword) are weaker versions of this shovel. The Axe trades the Stun for another +1heart. The Sword trades Blue/Red for Blue/Yel, loses the +1heart, but only requires 1 hand.

I will say the Shovel is the best starting weapon in the game, but isnt so much better it would require a change.

Glaive & Shield
1 handed, ranged, Blue/Yel, Surge: +1heart, 2x Surge: disease.
exhaust shield to add 1 shield to defense roll

Perfectly balanced. If monsters could remove conditions, I might even change the 2x Surge to a single surge, because 2 surges off Blue Yellow is pretty rare. I really like the idea of a class that focuses on conditions, but I will get to that in the skills discussion.

Hand Crossbow & Burning Torch
1 handed, ranged, Blue/Yel, Surge: +1heart, Surge: move target 1 space
Exhaust torch to force target to reroll 1 defense die

I think this starting weapon combo is incredibly strong. The Surge: "move target" ability only comes into the game with the 175 gold regular crossbow... and that is the most expensive Act 1 weapon, and the same price (or more) than half of the Act II weapons, and the only non-relic weapon in the game with that ability (I think). That's why the regular crossbow is exotic. I cannot think of how to keep that ability in a starting weapon and keep it balanced. Remove the Surge +1 heart? Make the 'move target' a 2x surge?

I like the torch (and all the mechanics that come with it with skills), but it only makes the Inquisitor starting weapons even more powerful.

Short Sword and Short Bow
1 handed, melee, Blue/Yel, Surge: +1 heart
1 handed, ranged, Blue/Yel, Surge: +1 pierce

I really like the thematics behind this class, and the weapons fit nicely into that. Starting with two 'weaker' weapons with the skill of getting another attack if you switch hands is brilliant. My only comments would be to come up with a different name for the short bow, as thematically you need two hands to fire a bow. Maybe a blow-gun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Hand Crossbow is extremely overpowered for a starting weapon. Perhaps making it require a double-surge would bring it back down, but even then, being able to move monsters is huge.

(Also, the Trueshot Relic grants the same ability, so you forgot one thing, but you can only get it if the Heroes win A Fat Goblin in Act I, then The Monster's Hoard in Act II.)

Perhaps a rename for the Short Bow could be Wooden Javelin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
original inline] is a tag to put images in the same line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
regarding grave shovel and handcrossbow - you will be pretty surprised what other startweapons will be added in expansions X)...

moving monsters around is a nice starting ability - sure I see your concerns here but I think it is not so strong as it is accounted for.

the graveshovel can only stun if it deals any damage - don't forget this. getting a surge on redblue is kinda rare also.

the shortbow has some issues if i change it - I have to basically change around 5 skills of the outlander =(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The argument to change the Short Bow is mostly a thematic one. A 1-handed traditional bow doesn't make much sense. If it's totally imperative that the Outlaw start with a Bow for his abilities, then I can only imagine that he be the one to begin with some sort of crossbow, rather than the Inquisitor.

That, or we can just ignore the inconsistency of the Short Bow requiring only one hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be a sling or throwing star?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some of those same thoughts, but the problem, as Morthai pointed out, is that the Outlaw class has abilities that specify the use of Bow weapons, so for those to be reasonable purchases, the Outlaw needs to have access to a Bow rather than some other type of ranged weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.