Subject: endgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game! One of the very few my wife will play (and dominate me at)

Regarding the end game, once the deck is gone, & the final 8 cards are in the forest. Well, basically the last 2 in the forest and sometimes last 3 cards in the forest will be 'dead' ... right?

By dead I mean there is no way to benefit from them, when you pick either up, the game ends, according to the rules. There is no time to cook them, and if you pick them up to make sure your opponent doesn't get them, doesn't matter, they wouldn't have had time to cook them anyway.

Kind of sucks, when a morel or moon or a 3rd mushroom you need is sitting in those spots.

Before I reread the rules, we were playing you get one final chance to cook once all the cards in the forest are gone, usually using the pan that we started the game with. Then when we tried it as the rules say, it wasn't as good as the way we had been playing. Not sure which way we will continue. I normally don't house rule things, but in this case I think we may.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, at a certain point, the cards left on the trail become irrelevant at face value, but I feel they give a bit of control over the endgame. Spend the last few turns cooking what is in your hand, allowing one card to decay and approach endgame at a slower pace? Or pluck one you don't need to drive the endgame faster before your opponent can unload what they are holding? The effectiveness of this is subject to your hand size and available pans which you should have been on the hunt for throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
puɐnbɹɐW ʍǝɥʇʇɐW
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Where's the beef?!
badge
I don't think anybody's back there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you're really looking for that last Morel to come out AND have time to cook it, then you should be saving sticks for you to reach DEEP into the forest to get it when it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notorious nolemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
viol8r wrote:
Regarding the end game, once the deck is gone, & the final 8 cards are in the forest. Well, basically the last 2 in the forest and sometimes last 3 cards in the forest will be 'dead' ... right?

Don't forget that you can reach into the forest with the sticks. As soon as the eighth and last card comes up, you can spend 4-6 sticks (depending on whose turn it is and what they do) to grab the card, and still have enough time to cook it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, for some reason we always use up our sticks before the final 8 cards. but I agree, it good idea to hold some sticks back if you are waiting for a special card for your final cook, to avoid running out of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Flood
United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! We started off good. In our first game the three morels came out in the last six cards(including one as the last card)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.