Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamara McCarthey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you exchange tiles during the redesign phase, can you leave a "hole" in your Alhambra since you are replacing the tile right away? I know that you cannot create a "hole" when adding tiles, but I am not sure about placement rules during an exchange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tamara2mac wrote:
When you exchange tiles during the redesign phase, can you leave a "hole" in your Alhambra since you are replacing the tile right away? I know that you cannot create a "hole" when adding tiles, but I am not sure about placement rules during an exchange.

We have tried to get this clarified officially but I don't think an answer ever came through. It is best to decide how you want to play, make everyone aware of it at the start of the game and play consistently.

FWIW, I am of the opinion you can temporarily leave a hole during redesign as long as you close it by the end of your current turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, our group has always considered the "swap" to be considered instantaneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with Brian and Andy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johns
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Your answers bring up a related question (and I apologize if it should be in the "City Gates" forum).

When you are playing with the character cards from the expansion, if you have Ammar El'Schauf then you get an extra redesign at the end of your turn. This makes it possible to do two redesign actions in one turn, one as the regular action, one from the character card. In such cases, do the "no holes" and "walking route" rules have to be satisfied during the time between these two redesign actions?

I would have assumed that your alhambra must satifsy those rules after each redesign action. The "end of your current turn" standard that Brian proposes would indicate otherwise. (I agree that a swap action is not prohibited on account on a situation partway through that action violating the "no holes" or "walking route" rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is that you can't have any holes or illegal placements after each tile you place (not turn end).

So, the original question is fine. You pick up the tile you're getting rid of, you drop in the replacement, the alhambra is legal. Replacing a tile is one move.

The following are illegal:

You have two tiles to place. You place the first one, currently illegal because it can't be reached. Then you place the second one, filling in the path so the first can be reached. Sorry, can't be done that way.

Same thing with the double redesign. It must be no holes and a walking route after each redesign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beer be with you.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
Settlers of Catan does not improve with your house rules. The best option if you don't like the rules as written is to just select another game.
mb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Replacing a tile is one move.

Short, simple, and clears up any issues. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johns
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The rule is that you can't have any holes or illegal placements after each tile you place (not turn end).

Thank you. That's what I thought the rule was; I just wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.