10 Posts

The Republic of Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Is the Valley Games version OK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I just found out about this game and am interested in buying it but would like to know, are the issues with the Valley Games reprint game-breaking or just an annoyance? I have heard that the rules are atrocious and there are many misprints on the board and on cards. I really hate sloppy releases like this but as the game sounds interesting, I'd like to know if these errors should put me off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only complaint about this wonderful reprint is that i have to play it solo due to lack of opponents... but it still shines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
My only complaint about this wonderful reprint is that i have to play it solo due to lack of opponents... but it still shines
While it is unfortunately true that there are a few minor typographical errors I agree that it is QUITE playable, hugely fun and lavish in its presentation. I m keeping my copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a few problems but they are adressed, and the rulebook is, um a bit hard to know but BGG is a great resource for that.

The quality of print, well there is pasteups... but the real problem for me have been differenting the money but all theese things are fixable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint is great. There are some minor issues that can easily be fixed using information available here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
I just found out about this game and am interested in buying it but would like to know, are the issues with the Valley Games reprint game-breaking or just an annoyance? I have heard that the rules are atrocious and there are many misprints on the board and on cards. I really hate sloppy releases like this but as the game sounds interesting, I'd like to know if these errors should put me off?

It all depends on if you mind having pasteups on specific cards in a deck of cards that are supposed to be secret instead of marked. The pasteups on the mapboard and the need to print out updated rules are merely big time annoyances, but I consider marked cards in the deck to be effective game-breakers, or at least well beyond major annoyances. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed off the paste-ups and just keep them by the board as a cross-reference when cards are turned... it really is no biggy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed and pasted mine. Thought about sleeving over them, but haven't had any real problems yet with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your replies. OK, so there are fixes for everything that is wrong online. I'll do a search to see if I can find these paste-ups. It seems like this game is still a possibility. I love the period, and the cards and stuff (even the coins that nobody seems to like) look great. I'll see if I can find at least one person willing to play it and if they agree, I'll probably buy it in the next month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is much more beautiful and durable that the AH version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.