Subject: "Some" Gameplay Questions and free comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi, given the kindness displayed in the past thread I dare to throw the following newbie fantasy gamer questions, I will try to make them as easy to answer as possible, If I may:

1.- When using a fate point to change the outcome of an attack roll, can you change the hit roll only and damage dice remain the same? or can I change those also? sometimes is harder to do damage than to hit.

2.- Any advice about how to introduce different sorts of creatures and monsters into the game? I know there´s the PV but that´s just a relative value between monsters included in the game. How do I know if a dragon is harder to hit or wound than the Greater Demon Tzeentch for example? I have a fistful of idle minis crying for some action.

3.- Quest rooms and lairs, both with chests, can also be searched for hidden treasure?

4.- Can a hero move within the room and also search for secret doors? If a hero starts an exploration turn next to a room wall, he searches for secret door and finds one located just next to him, can he open it in the same turn? he hasn´t moved.

5.- Exploration and combat turns, when one finishes the next starts with the next hero to move or they reset straight to initiative and order of move?

6.- If surrounded by 3 fearsome monsters, the hero has to roll 3 times for bravery or just 1 is enough for the 3 monsters?

7.- When in fear, if the hero has to run from a fearsome monster but there´s no place to move, what´s the rule in that case?

8.- Heroes will always move 12 squares? aren´t they suppose to move their speed value?

9.- Pit trap, can the hero roll for leap-out in the same turn or until next?

10.- Where are the critical and fumble values for all monsters?

11.- Monster placing rule for solo games is flawed or I'm just interpreting something wrong? This one was originally posted in the Rules section:

I mean, in games against the GM if he gets surprised you place his monsters anywhere within the room and then he moves them 1 square, that certainly gives you space and options to pull your tactics, that´s the right way the game should play IMHO.

On the other hand, in solo games the rules say on P.48 "Placing Monsters" that the first one "must be placed in a square as close to the party as possible . If the monster can be placed in a square from which it can make an attack, it must be placed in that square. Any remaining monsters must be placed in a square adjacent to an already-placed monster"

So following this rule every single combat inevitably becomes a "doorway attrition" affair (as it´s been sadly pointed out in a couple of reviews I´ve read recently) but I think this glitch arises from a misinterpretation of this rule. If the first monster is to be placed as close as possible, and preferably in a square from which it can make an attack, then if the heroes enter any room with monsters, after winning the surprise they will always face a monster in the very doorway and the rest in line behind him.

Combat then becomes a matter of 1 on 1 dice rolling attrition business.Unless I'm interpreting something wrong but it definitely is a very drastic departure from the multiplayer experience to the point of almost ruining the solo part and I suspect it´s not supposed to be interpreted under that line of reasoning.

It makes no sense to have a bunch of monsters blocking the doorway when they´re supposed to be surprised! so IMHO the monster placing rule in solo games (P. 48) should be interpreted as applicable only in the case of the heroes being surprised, otherwise monsters should be placed in compliance with the monster placing rule for multiplayer games, BUT the one square allowed to the surprised GM will be taken following this debated monster placing rule. It simply makes much more sense this way, single player battles are more epic now!

Thanks in advance
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8 - There's a difference in Exploration time and Battle time. It took me a while before I understood that too. When no monsters are on the board, then it's Exploration time. And then all heroes move 12 squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilmesmeier
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
1. Only one roll can be changed, either the to-hit or the to-wound roll.

2. Use a monster from the rulebook or one of the many expansions and White Dwarf articles that is closest to to monster you want to include and work from there.

3. No, the searching for treasure action is not possible in a room that has obvious treasure.

4. The rulebook says that a Hero can move where the newly found secret door is once he finds it. He can't open it immediately after finding it, though. Searching is used instead of moving, and to open a door a character has to move.

5. I am not sure what you mean.

6. Each monster causes a seperate test.

7. Move him or her as far as possible away from the monster, whereever that is, Might be a corner in the same room.

8. Yes, use the speed stat for movement during combat. That way wearing armor slows a model down. In exploration turns, use 12.

9. He can't try to climb out the same turn he fell in.

10. In the English and German versions of the rulebook, the critical and fumble values are listed on the monster's profile in the equipment space, along with the weapon they use.

11. The solo rules are more like a half-assed variant and not something the game is designed for. In the end, even in normal coop gameplay many battles will occure through a single doorway, made even worse if the monsters have no ranged weapons, so the heroes have no reason to go inside at all. One way to get around this issue is to use double-wide doors and include multiple entrances to rooms so monsters and heroes can flank around and get to the squishy Heroes behind the fighters.
Now that I think about it, doesn't a hero have to move _inside_ the room to see what's in there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert and Tommy covered many of these, so to cover several pointson those items and some unanswered points

1. Theoretically, you could send two Fate Points and re-roll both, but you'd need to be desperate!

2. I put together a conversion process from WFB8, which may help, as part of the project discussed here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/651794/fixing-the-rules

3. I would argue that they can, this would be two different searches though.

5. Everyone finishes their current turn THEN the next turn starts as the new turn type.

10. Based on weapons usually. Unless otherwise stated, fumble on "1", critical on "12".

The problem with fights around doors is a tactical problem baked into the game mechanic.

That was actually one of the main reasons behind the project I linked to above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilmesmeier
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
10. As written above, the normal crit and fumble values for weapons is 1 and 12. Only weapons that have a different value (most two-handed, like a Halberd, for example), are listed specifically.

12. I'd say just house-rule however you feel; The way monsters move and attack is written in a way that makes it easier for the Dungeon Master to control them, not having to remember in which order each one does things. So just let them behave in any way you want if it makes sense to you

See also my fully customized campaign available for download:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/782467/advanced-heroques...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much guys! I knew this was the place to find enlightenment!

Slev´s material looks very compelling. Now I have enough information to go trough over the weekend. I´ll probably come back latter next week in search for more pearls of wisdom, of course, if you guys don´t mind whistle

After reading the rules and delving solo through my first randomly generated dungeon, I have the perception that this game could have easily been on of the B-est in terms of core mechanics, realism and replayability, even over WHQ (I would dare to assert that). As a matter of fact, with a little time, imagination, a copy of HQ and a fistful of D&D minis this rat-faced worm turns into a totally enjoyable experience, more tactical than most crawlers out there, including WHQ, which shines in areas like campaign play and tons of content, not realism and tactical combat IMHO unless you tweak the rules, if that´s what you´re looking for to begin with, BUT WHQ comes with a LOT of nice and varied minis, which goes a long way.

This game must be one of the best dungeon crawlers ever!...and still it´s not always regarded as such in most web reviews I´ve read, on the contrary...(angry) it seems to be no match for either HQ or WHQ acording to generalized opinion...no AHQ microbadge issued yet?

Actually, you need lots of imagination if you´re playing with the core set only. I don´t know nothing about merchandising but by using my common sense I see that the game assumes that you know that it would be great if you purchase more official content, people just gets disappointed when they realize all they can do is to fight rats, the same type all over, maybe I wouldn´t be writing this if had only the skavens to play. I know it would lead you to actually getting more stuff, but they have to hook you properly first.

All the above leads me to think that people don´t always like expansive games, left alone the attractiveness of getting a bunch of rats in exchange for your coin...it could be seen as "incomplete" or unfinished. People in general tend to prefer a "complete" game out of the box, period.

So I wonder if with the proper support this game could have changed history?

Thanks again
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
The play-test group where a little despondent about the all-Skaven dungeons, until, that is, I fixed up the bestiary and added more variety from my WFB Skaven army.

Once they where fighting mixes of Skavenslaves, Clan Rats, Rat Ogres, Storm Vermin, weapon teams, etc, etc, the game picked up massively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.