Subject: 1st try, horrible failure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,
I had been sitting on my copy of this game for roughly ten years when, last weekend, me and my mates finally decided to give it a try. It was, to put it mildly, not a huge success. We were defeated before we completed Helm's Deep.
Now we have been looking at the rules for an explanation (surely, we must have done something wrong) but cannot find it.
- There were 5 of us
- We kept turning over tiles until the current player was able to move on one of the tracks (but Sauron came close really quickly)
- We tried not to race down the centre path, but collect hearts/sons/rings
Where did we go wrong?
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Where did we go wrong?
There's your answer. Racing down the center path is a decent strategy. Missing a few hearts, suns, and rings is no big deal, but the later events on many boards are disasters. Move fast down the center path and you'll do a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel too bad.

That is the normal for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On your first game, you would be disappointed if you won... I hope.

Agree with the advice about not worrying about every little Life Token (Ring, Sun, Heart). Just get through the scenarios. If you're doing terrible on a scenario (a bunch of Events come out first thing), consider getting through the scenario via 6 Events and on each turn just Draw 2 Hobbit cards or Heal.

Try not to waste anything. Don't take a turn where you only Play one card. Play two, or don't play any (and Draw 2 or Heal instead). Don't let a hobbit get 2 Suns or 2 Hearts, if you can.

Put the Ring on in every scenario, to skip the Die rolling spaces... or especially when you're 4 or less spaces away from the end.

Especially with 5 Hobbits, make sure someone gets 5 Shields early and keep looking over Gandalf spell cards to use when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:
Where did we go wrong?
There's your answer. Racing down the center path is a decent strategy. Missing a few hearts, suns, and rings is no big deal, but the later events on many boards are disasters. Move fast down the center path and you'll do a lot better.

Not too fast, though!

This game is great IMO, but you need to practice at it and learn what works and what doesn't. Moving well along the main track early in a scneario is a good idea, because then if things go badly you can end the scenario quickly. (Although sometimes you're better to let Events end the scenario rather than spending too many resources -- especially in Shelob's Lair.)

But with 5 hobbits there aren't enough life tokens to go around, so you need to be careful not to miss out on too many. So once you are well along the main track it's probably worth trying to get as much out of the side tracks as possible, especially the ones that give you cards.

Manage your cards carefully, discuss your hands and consider when you should use the yellow cards and Gandalf cards. As chockle says, if you can only play one card you're probably better to draw instead.

Note that Sauron moving forward one space is the equivalent of all the hobbits moving forward one space -- you usually want to avoid that if at all possible.

Hope you try it again and enjoy it! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few simple rules:

- Save most yellow cards, where possible, for the last two boards.

- Hobbits will die, so better one or two die early(ish) than all of you sticking together and being toasted in one go i.e go to hold hands with Sauron one at a time rather than Sauron racing down to join the party.

- Try and manipulate who the next ring bearer will be, one of the less corrupted Hobbits.

- Ensure at least a couple of Hobbits have 5+ shields in the last half of the game to call Gandalf (and work out what exactly each Gandalf card can actually do).

- Read the events before starting a board so you all know what cards, shields, tokens have to be sacrificed (and thus kept, just being able to discard a simple one card early in the game can save you watching Sauron sprinting towards you).

- Discuss what your cards can do (we actually don't say what cards we have, trying to make it a bit more challenging, but say what we can do i.e. don't worry about that dice roll).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:

- We kept turning over tiles until the current player was able to move on one of the tracks

Are sure you were doing this right, every player turns a tile AND plays/takes cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfToff wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

- We kept turning over tiles until the current player was able to move on one of the tracks

Are sure you were doing this right, every player turns a tile AND plays/takes cards

No - he is right, if you draw an evil tile then you fulfil its requirements and draw again until you get one of the four whats-it-called tiles. I think my record is six evil in a row before finally drawing a good tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a similar experience. Hang in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hanks
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this game for Christmas off a BGG auction. We played it on Sunday and we got killed before reaching the final board. I'm not disappointed. It was still fun. Hopefully we will play again soon. What is the win lose ratio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JH_Utah wrote:
Bought this game for Christmas off a BGG auction. We played it on Sunday and we got killed before reaching the final board. I'm not disappointed. It was still fun. Hopefully we will play again soon. What is the win lose ratio?

Once you pick it up you should win most of the time with Sauron starting at position 15 ... then you start moving him closer sauron.

If you want a real bloodbath and have 5 or 6 players then get the Sauron expansion - this is great as someone gets to play as Sauron and cause an awful lot of hurt (and win a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.