Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for a good game to play with my friend who just had a baby. He loves board games, but doesn't have time to sit and play anything over vassal, necessarily, so I've been trying to figure out what games we are both interested in and would play well by email. We have started a game of Through the Ages, but I've been dying to play DM with him. However, with the amount of actions a player takes each turn, I'm not sure this game would work very well for us. With 3 (we have a third on board who is up for anything), each turn/round would mean around 30 files. That seems like a headache!

So, how have you found this to play via email?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't you still use Vassal to play by email? Single file per email.

I tried it and it was still way too tedious for me. But it might work for someone with a higher tolerance level for tedium than mine.

Edit: Oh, you mean 30 emails per turn/round, one file per email. Yes, that's right. Yes, it's as tedious as you expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, Vassal modules can also be play-by-email, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Why wouldn't you still use Vassal to play by email? Single file per email.

I tried it and it was still way too tedious for me. But it might work for someone with a higher tolerance level for tedium than mine.

Edit: Oh, you mean 30 emails per turn/round, one file per email. Yes, that's right. Yes, it's as tedious as you expect.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Way too many emails. Thanks for the quick responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turns are way too micro in this game to be any fun PBEM.

tedious is an understatement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
The turns are way too micro in this game to be any fun PBEM.

tedious is an understatement

Just have 30 games going...

It'll seem like a full turn every set of emails you get...

It'll fry your mind keeping track of so many games, OR it'll make you a master in no Time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBEM works fine.

Since it is turn-based, you simply set up some basic email subject rules to follow, since you know who has to do the next action/place the next AP.

We did the Subject Lines as such:

INSECTS (Green) is up for "domination"

So, you would state what species is up and what the action they are performing. You mail the file to all players so everyone can check the game as it goes on, and the player in the subject knows it's their move. Simple.

Our first game lasted 349 files long, but it kept a decent pace. It started mid-May and ended mid-October, with a few summer breaks in there somewhere.

it's not a short game, but it is interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.