Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You heard it here first: the world's smallest baseball game is about to get bigger.

How much bigger? Well, two cards bigger, to be exact. That will bring us to a grand total of 11 cards. I know: that's huge.

What are those two new cards going to contain? Well that's where all of you come in. Every game can benefit from a couple of player aids so that's what I'd like to do here. I'd love to hear your suggestions of what information would make the rules of the game easier to remember, easier to teach, and easier to play.

Where will I be able to get this expansion? We're working on a brand new edition of the game which will include all 11 cards (original 9-card game plus 2-card expansion). Once everything is ready, those who own the original version of the game will be able to contact me on BGG or via the Famous Games website to request a complimentary copy of the expansion. We'll also make the two cards available in a print-and-play format here on BGG.

What about the rest of the World's Smallest Sports Games? We'll be rolling out similar 2-card player aid expansions across the entire line. To make your suggestions about what should be included on the cards, please respond to the corresponding thread in each game's forum.

What's in it for me? Well aside from the smug satisfaction that comes with making the world a better place (and the games you play even awesomer!), I'll be selecting the best contribution in each of the five threads and sending that special BGG User a full set of the retail-ready 11-card versions as soon as they're available... for FREE, anywhere in the world, shipping and handling included!

Do I have to already own the game in order to participate? Not at all! People unfamiliar with the games can check out the interactive tutorials on our website and make their player aid recommendations based on what they learn there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Famous Fastballs player aids, I'm thinking the main thing I need to communicate is what the hand signals mean on the two charts. For example, on the At Bat chart, if the pitcher shows a fist, that means he's throwing a strike whereas if he throws an open hand, that means he's throwing a ball.

I'm thinking two identical cards, with the batter's perspective represented on one side and the pitcher's perspective represent on the other.

Is there anything else that deserves to be on the player aid for this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McGuire
United States
Tualatin
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

How about an explanation as to why there's no hockey version of this game, yet sets exist for golf and tennis? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Famous Faceoffs, the World's Smallest Hockey Game was going to be #5 in the series. The design I had for it was all about managing the energy levels of your players. Each team had two player cards on the ice at a time and, as they played, their energy would deplete. You had to pick a safe time to send them back to the shared bench, where they'd regain their energy over time, and you'd grab a replenished player card to replace him.

Sadly, it was overly fiddly and would often collapse into a stalemate where neither team could score. When I had the idea for Famous Fairways, I decided it was better to proceed with that one, get all 5 games to print, and set Famous Faceoffs aside. I've picked it up a few times in the year since and thought about it a lot but I haven't found a solution for it yet. Rest assured that, when I do finally figure it out, there'll be a spot among the World's Smallest Sports Games for it.

So that explanation wouldn't really fit on a playing card but there you have it. meeple

FYI - Game #6 in the series, Famous Flagships, the World's Smallest Yacht Racing Game, is almost ready to go to print and should be particularly timely, thanks to the upcoming America's Cup. I'll be using it to introduce this new 11-card format (9 + 2 player aides) and also experiment with some new retail-ready packaging. Feedback on those changes will drive how similar elements get applied across the remaining titles in the Famous Games back-catalog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McGuire
United States
Tualatin
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good enough, then. And thanks.

I've attempted similar ideas as far as rolling three or four player lines. It seems that it bogs down somewhere in the ability to switch lines on the fly (without puck possession) versus en masse (with puck possession)...I mean, how does one account for depletion of energy (in the wide sense) along with speed and strength (in the narrow sense)?!?

I can't find that magic balance between massive simulation-like bookkeeping and overly simplistic non-fun for every player on the ice, and it's making me crazy because I think the idea retains merit...even factoring in things like injuries, odd-man rushes, and the fact that the Penguins will always suck. #flyers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobBartel wrote:
For the Famous Fastballs player aids, I'm thinking the main thing I need to communicate is what the hand signals mean on the two charts. For example, on the At Bat chart, if the pitcher shows a fist, that means he's throwing a strike whereas if he throws an open hand, that means he's throwing a ball.

I'm thinking two identical cards, with the batter's perspective represented on one side and the pitcher's perspective represent on the other.

You may want to give a simple sentence or two as to what each of the words on the hit card means for those that dont know baseball - so they can know the difference between a double play and a double.

A quick sentence of who is at bat first Home or Visitors, etc (good for those that dont know baseball/sports as well)

Also possibly the advance rules adding Sacrifice Fly and Base Stealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue to sweep through all of my World's Smallest Sports Games, getting these player aids together for the upcoming retail versions. Today is baseball's turn.

I didn't include the advanced rules for Sacrifice Fly and Base Stealing but I was able to capture your other suggestions, Sanders. Here's what I've got:

Also, if you look closely at the Setup card, you'll notice that I've also tweaked the appearance of the Batter, Pitcher, and Hits cards, providing some better color-coding and labelling to help make them a little clearer for players less familiar with the sport.

I'm pretty happy with these (unlike my Football player aids which I want to tinker with a little further) but if anyone has feedback, I'd love to hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look good Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobBartel wrote:
Where will I be able to get this expansion? We're working on a brand new edition of the game which will include all 11 cards (original 9-card game plus 2-card expansion). Once everything is ready, those who own the original version of the game will be able to contact me on BGG or via the Famous Games website to request a complimentary copy of the expansion. We'll also make the two cards available in a print-and-play format here on BGG.

Now that the 2-card expansion is out, are these available from you upon request Rob, as stated above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I don't keep them in stock so delivery will take longer than a standard order but they are available on request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.