United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb

A dear friend and BGG regular, Tim Seitz

Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb

passed away yesterday due to a heart attack after a bike ride here in Richmond. He leaves behind a wife and three young children.

Tim was the most enthusiastically competitive gamer I've ever met. He liked to joke about being "an asshole" (sorry, his word, not mine) at the gaming table, but was actually a patient and considerate teacher and mentor. Many of my most enjoyable gaming sessions were spent at his dining room table, arguing over who was "really winning" (it was almost always Tim). He had an exuberant laugh and a giant personality that seemed to fill any room he was in. Here on BGG he was not averse to taking a strong stand on controversial topics, game-related and otherwise, and we have backed each other up in many a heated thread.

He will be missed, more than I can adequately express.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim was one of the best guys I ever knew. Aside from his greatest achievement of raising his awesome children, he was also a massive contributor to the Boardgamegeek community, and to the board gaming world in general. Though I had never had the honor to meet him in person, I considered him to be one of my closest friends. I'm devastated by this tragic news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like packing all my games into crates and never looking at them again. It's just not going to be the same without him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
Tim was a boisterous, important part of the community here at BGG. He will be missed greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly written John. Tim always had time to teach someone a new game. He wasn't interested in "letting" anyone win and that meant you had to be on your toes when you played him. But the fun for me came afterwards when he could tell you exactly where you made your mistake:

Agricola: "You needed to grow your family instead of picking up the three stone"

Glory to Rome: "You needed to build your vomitorium so you could use thinking actions to find a wall.

Agricola and Glory to Rome continue to be my favorite two games and a big reason, I'm sure, is the many hours Tim spent beating me and teaching me both of them.

Nobody I've ever met could process as many variables in a game seemingly flawlessly as he could. He was an efficiency expert professionally and it showed in his gaming.

Tim was a fantastic guy to have deeper conversations with. I remember in particular 10-hour van trip to and from Origins. He was so intelligent (undergrad at West Point and MBA from Harvard) and he had a gift for explaining complicated things so very well.

One funny story. Tim and I were traveling to Columbus from Richmond, Virginia for Origins one summer. We were leaving around 5am and the USA Mens' Soccer Team had a big World Cup match vs. Algeria at 10am that day. Tim was in his element the days leading up and he went to work deciding where we'd be at kickoff (Beckley, WV) and where the game might be on. He called around Beckley and located a bar downtown for the first half, but he told us we'd be switching to a Hooters by the interstate once the it opened. Fantastic match and Tim's been so into the drive and the two restaurants and the game that he's forgotten to use the bathroom. As the final minute arrives and the U.S. is going to settle for a 0-0 tie and a exit from the World Cup (they needed a win), Tim finally hits the bathroom so we'll be able to quickly get on the road at the final whistle. From the bathroom, he hears the screaming and cheering and knows that despite all of his planning he's missed one of the greatest U.S. goals in World Cup history. The look on his face as he walked out was priceless. A broad knowing smile and a billowing laugh.

Heaven's a little louder right now, for sure. And I'm sure he'll be ready to give each of us a bear hug up there when our time comes.

Love and prayers to Tim's wife Wendy and their children.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am extremely sorry to hear this. I only interacted slightly with Tim. We played A Few Acres of Snow together online at Yucata.de. He was a tremendous opponent and a total pleasure to play against. He was very open and friendlt when discussing games. I always enjoyed his concise and consistent voice.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends. He will be missed. Hopefully, I can have another go at him in the next world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brooks
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in total shock as a result of this news. Just a couple of weeks ago, Tim was his boisterous self at the latest Dollar Con convention he put together here in Richmond.

Like Rob, Tim introduced me to many of my favorite games--games like Glory to Rome, Galaxy Trucker, and even his homemade Agricola that he put together before it was available here in the States. Heck, Tim even introduced me to Rob (and many other gamers in the Richmond area).

Tim will be sorely missed. Wendy and the kids are in my thoughts.

-Allen-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just feel like someone slapped me in the face. His involvement in the GCL was how I knew him the most. That said, I've listened to him on the Longview podcast, read his extensive comments in the AFAoS forum, as well as watched some of his short video reviews. I'm sad that I'll never have a chance to play a game with him at a convention, should I ever make it to the US one day. I'm sure he's going to be greatly missed in the board game community. More importantly my condolences go to his friends and family.

This is truly a sad day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
I am shocked by the news...

I never met Tim, or in fact spoke to him, but his comments were always insightful and entertaining. He seemed an amazing person to hang out with.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! I just saw him at Euro Quest and he looked so good. He'd lost weight. OMG. I'm in shock. I'm so sorry to lose him, and I feel so sorry for his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmb
This is very sad news, I have seen his avatar in lots of places around BGG. My condolences to his family and friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know so many friends of Tim in Richmond that I feel like I knew the man; he was never far from our discussions while gaming. As I understand from the many stories I have heard about him, he brought not only new games but new friends to many here. I regret now that my own interactions with him were limited to e-mail and forum posts. My sincere condolences go out to his many friends. Tim's family will be in my thoughts tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

I see his avatar everywhere and always paid attention to what he contributed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like a lot of members here I never met Tim, but had him as a Geekbuddy since we seemed to have the same taste in games. I read his comments to get insight on what to play and buy and because his personality showed in his words. I am sorry to hear about this. I feel like I lost a friend. My condolences to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
As John said above, he was incredibly enthusiastic as a gamer, and he somehow managed to be very competitive and yet likeable. He was very kind and jovial in person, and I enjoyed being in his company even though sometimes I found him to be overly competitive. It was his schtick after all.

He had an enthusiasm for making his own prototypes of games not yet available in the US. Last year I played his Colonial and Quebec mock-ups which included legos for pieces. The guy just never stopped. From what I saw, he was a very patient and loving father.

He had invited me down to stay with him in Richmond for a Dollar Con some time, and I planned on taking him up on the offer and taking the train down at least one time. I was flattered that he seemed to like me enough to invite me down. We hit it off, and there are some nice pics of us in my Euro Quest blog. I had also planned on taking him up on his offer to revisit A Few Acres of Snow on Yucata. I thought his work on that game was incredibly admirable. He approached the game's faults with objectivity and passion and without snark or condescension. The community is much richer for his effort. I was able to tell him that (in some form) at one point, I'm happy to say.

I just need to keep posting to process this. I'm still in the denial stage of grief and can't believe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
And so it begins...
mb
I am stunned. I never traded words with Tim but I really liked his contributions, his awesome avatar (and microbadge) and was one of the players I would love to play with in a TtA 4-player full game.

Rest in peace, Tim. My deepest condolences to his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, talk about a punch to the gut. I never played against Tim, nor spoke directly to him. However, following the saga of the Halifax Hammer made reading Tim's words a daily occurrence. I'm absolutely stunned by this news.

Makes me truly take a step back and remind myself to remember that each and every part of my life as special in its own way. From the simple movement of a cardboard counter to the opportunity to say, "I love you" to those I care about, it all matters!

RIP Tim, you were certainly noticed by a lot more people than I'm sure you ever suspected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

I wish I'd met him. I knew him as an important part of BGG, someone who wasn't afraid to voice his opinions, but always did so intelligently. I can't pretend I knew him well, but I know that he will be missed by many (myself included).

What his wife and children must be going through...I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
tabletopcastle.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim had a reputation for being a bloodthirsty gamer; as I told Rob, every group's got one. I only met Tim once in person at Rob White's house. However, I once had a conversation with Tim on the phone about gaming and his kids, whom he adored. I remember him telling me that he wouldn't even let his kids win--he was the kind of guy that believed you earn your wins, no matter who you are. I respected that in him, because Tim knew who he was and what he wanted. I'll regret never having the chance to play a game with Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! My condolences to his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear this news. I remember a podcast episode he did on A Few Acres of Snow for The Long View:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/81563/the-l...

It was a difficult subject and he handled it in an outstanding way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim was a chat buddy of mine.

We'd joke around a lot and geekmail.

The one link on his profile is to one of my geeklists.

Never met him.

Will miss him terribly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Jungle Podcast
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We send our deepest sympathies to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been around that long so didn't know Tim, but this community surely lost a great part of it and he will be missed. My deepest sorrows go out to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad!

And he was maybe too young (having 3 young children).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.