Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Kingdom Builder» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Is the Game of the Year all its cracked up to be? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: blog [+] review [+] game_of_the_year [+] kingdom_builder [+] [View All]
Angelo Nikolaou
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Kingdom Builder was love at first sight. What really makes it tick for me is that it's a game of spatial intelligence, like Ricochet Robots for example. You look at space and try to analyse it then move ahead to find the best possible action within restrictions.

There are very few games that test your spatial intelligence and logical analysis at this level with simple rules and great variety to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd barker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moonleaf wrote:
For me Kingdom Builder was love at first sight. What really makes it tick for me is that it's a game of spatial intelligence, like Ricochet Robots for example. You look at space and try to analyse it then move ahead to find the best possible action within restrictions.

There are very few games that test your spatial intelligence and logical analysis at this level with simple rules and great variety to boot.

That's what I like about Kingdom Builder too, do you have any favourites that work the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
For this who are dropping in with comments that the game is "so shallow it's stupid" and that "there is no game there"... I would be interested to see their record in a "best of 5" series against experienced Kingdom Builder players... whistle

Tiddly Winks champs would beat us also but I doubt anyone would argue that means Tiddly Winks is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
For this who are dropping in with comments that the game is "so shallow it's stupid" and that "there is no game there"... I would be interested to see their record in a "best of 5" series against experienced Kingdom Builder players... whistle

Tiddly Winks champs would beat us also but I doubt anyone would argue that means Tiddly Winks is a great game.

I think new Tiddly Winks player would lose to champs, but, also a lot of people WOULD argue it's a great game. Considering it's even got national associations, tournaments, etc. Might not be my cup of tea but those who like dexterity games might enjoy it. I mean, if "there's no game there" in Tiddly Winks as well, then these guys are a bunch of raving lunatics:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that you're the one who said "raving lunatics".

And it's a bit telling that the Tiddly Winks "world championships" looks like it's being held in someone's basement or the clubhouse of an apartment complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.