Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia» Forums » General

Subject: Poor card quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pwhy5 Pwhy5
Canada
flag msg tools
Is it me or the cardboard quality used for the ticket cards is really not that good?

I was really disappointed when I opened up my copy and found the cards to be extremely thin and flimsy. You can basically fold the whole deck in half.

Any other toughts on the cards? I guess I will have to sleeve them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. Mine are great quality thick with a finish. I bought it a year ago when first came out though. Was there a 2nd printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought my cards were fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Weird. Mine are great quality thick with a finish. I bought it a year ago when first came out though. Was there a 2nd printing?

Yes, there was a second printing. I wonder if the OP has that version? I think my 1st Ed quality is good, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leopold
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends,

Yes, the second printing has crummy card and board quality. A quick flip to the box bottom reveals that the first (aka quality) printing was manufactured in Germany. The second (aka crummy) printing was manufactured in China. Hmm. When will Days of Wonder learn? Probably never, as they are selling boatloads of their games to a consumer base that is much wider and not as critical as this community. That being said . . . Boo!

I'm glad I got in on the first print run. Maybe that could be a way forward for DoW. Make the first print run in Germany by folks who have been doing this a while and understand what it takes: limit the quantity, make it a "direct edition" like some books/comics, whatever. If and when that sells out (and based upon the speed of such) make a mass-market version for the ToysRUS/Barnes&Noble/Target game-buying crowd. I know that this idea will draw out the naysayers - this is the internet, after all - I don't really know/care about all the reasons that this wouldn't or couldn't work. I wish Days of Wonder would just print quality components that match the quality of the content.

I like that Queen games is at least trying some new things, even if their kickstarter performance hasn't been great.

Unfortunately the board/card quality in Africa is sub-par too for the same reasons.

Cheers,
Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Croxall
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
www.profhacker.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened my copy tonight and I too was shocked at the quality of the cards. They're pretty terrible. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the board, but haven't spent much time looking at it yet.

Perhaps we should raise this issue on the DoW forums.

EDIT: And now I see the trouble with the board: it doesn't lie flat. Glad my copy of India / Switzerland was printed in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwhy5 Pwhy5
Canada
flag msg tools
Just looked at my copy and it says "Made in China".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy last week and I was really desapointed with the destination cards and with the board. I just wrote to DOW to let them know how I felt. It probably won't change anything since we are few that takes time to "complain". Profits are usually guiding corporations. I have several games from DOW and quality was their priority and it shows. Production quality was SUPER! I hope that they will reconsider Germany on top of China. Maybe if many people complain about the quality they will.

I usually take a look where a boardgame is made before buying it because I have few boardgames that were made in China and NONE are of quality. This time, I did not looked since it was DOW. I knew their games are made in Germany. When I opened the box and saw that the board was already curved and that the cards were so thin I immediately looked on the back of the box because I was almost convinced that it was made in China and I was RIGHT. Too bad because I will not purchase any other DOW product made in China, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketil Kristiansen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Went amok at a bookstore running a 50% off campaign on all boardgames yesterday and picked up this one. After reading here however I'll certainly check the box before tearing off the shrinkwrap - if it says China it'll go straight back to the store angry
The box felt pretty "weighty" though, so *maybe* I'm lucky?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwhy5 Pwhy5
Canada
flag msg tools
The weight comes from the 6 wooden card holders packaged in the box. Mine were fine. The board was good but had a little trouble laying completely flat on the table. Cards, on the other hand, were thin thin thin.

If it says «Made in China», you can expect the same level of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a new set of cards from DOW and honnestly I cannot complain about their customer service. I asked if it was possible to get a set that was made in Germany but what I received was as bad as the ones included in the box. I believe they don't have them anymore. So I turned to my last option and spent another 8$ to buy card sleeves.

DOW told me that the Africa expansion was probably better since they did not receive any complaints. One thing sure, I won't buy any product from DOW that is made in China until they proove me that they are as good as they were when made in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bv6082 wrote:
DOW told me that the Africa expansion was probably better since they did not receive any complaints. One thing sure, I won't buy any product from DOW that is made in China until they proove me that they are as good as they were when made in Germany.

Say what??? There were tons of complaints about the board! Some people had to get more than one replacement board from DOW until they finally got a decent one. That's the reason I have been so hesitant to buy the Africa expansion.

My only experience with DOW customer service has been excellent (replacement cards for the original Swiss map, which was also printed in China). But either the customer service rep that communicated with you was unaware of the reported problems with the Africa map or outright lied to you to make another sale. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were not made aware of the problems, but there definitely have been problems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
bv6082 wrote:

Some people had to get more than one replacement board from DOW until they finally got a decent one.

From now on they should rename the company to "Days of Replacements".
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.