Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the biggest problem with this game (w/ 2 players; may not be an issue with larger player counts) is that the position of certain cards in the deck determines, to a large extent, who will win. You can't fulfill your ID if all of the relevant patches are at the very bottom of the deck, and same goes for many of the missions (although those are generally more forgiving). In the interest of a fairer game, I propose the following:

Separate all of the patch cards from the main draw deck, and break them down into "decades"--separate piles corresponding to each 8-card row in the timeline. Then, randomly distribute all other cards, such as artifacts, gadgets, reverse fate, etc. equally among the piles, and shuffle them all separately. Place each draw pile to the right of its relevant row in the timeline. Every time you draw a card, you may draw from any draw pile.

This way, even if the card you need is all the way at the bottom of its relevant draw pile, you'll get to it sooner. And there's an additional element of strategy: if you see somebody gunning for a particular decade, you can try drawing from that pile in the hopes of getting the card they need; however, that also carries the risk of helping the pile deplete more quickly and bringing them closer to their goal.

I haven't played this yet, so there may be some unforeseen hiccups. For instance, I'm not sure how to handle discards. Obviously you'd discard patches in the appropriate pile, but what about other cards. Anywhere you like? That could add even more strategy as you try to clog up a certain draw pile with discards. Or all in a separate pile and reform the decks once everything has been emptied out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.