Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played a 2-player game with Theme Park in the deck yesterday. I won it and as we got closer and closer to end game, I realized that I couldn't lose. Even if my wife had a better capacity than me, or more money, or could power 21 cities, as long as I could also power 21 cities PLUS THEME PARK, I couldn't lose.

Because that would put me at 22 and she could not possibly get to 22 cities in a 2-player game.

As it turns out, I won without that happening, but it would have if the game went on one more turn. Is this a concern or issue, that it makes it such that one player simply cannot get to the same number of cities, or have you found it not to be a big issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Power Grid breaks down with two players. Theme park just makes that more obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
My wife and I played a 2-player game with Theme Park in the deck yesterday. I won it and as we got closer and closer to end game, I realized that I couldn't lose. Even if my wife had a better capacity than me, or more money, or could power 21 cities, as long as I could also power 21 cities PLUS THEME PARK, I couldn't lose.

Because that would put me at 22 and she could not possibly get to 22 cities in a 2-player game.

As it turns out, I won without that happening, but it would have if the game went on one more turn. Is this a concern or issue, that it makes it such that one player simply cannot get to the same number of cities, or have you found it not to be a big issue?
I have not tried it in 2-player, but I would not play that it allows you to get 22 cities. Instead I would play in the style of First Sparks where once you reach the max on the track, you can't get anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:

Of course you can lose with the Theme Park it depends how much you bid on it. You can deal it as it is and think ok if I play the 2-player game with the theme park this one auction is the most important auction in the complete game.

But you are right the rules allow you to have 22 cities and your partner (opponent) can only have 21 and it is your decision if you add the theme park just to play the way that the maximum number of cities can only be 21. It depends how you want to play it.

It might sound weird that the author himself says that you should play it as you like it, but this is not a base game, it is not a normal expansion, this is a fan-expansion bought on a geek game page. So if you buy it, you already know (and like) the game and can judge for yourself how to deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
friedemann wrote:
Of course you can lose with the Theme Park it depends how much you bid on it.

Thanks for the answer, and you are correct, of course. My max bid was going to be 1 less than the most expensive connection+city remaining on the board, but my wife stopped bidding first.

Anyway, I think we might try it in 2 players that Theme Park can't let you get more than 21 cities. Seems fairest. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.