Kingdom Builder» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My record score for Hermits, but still a close game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I started out with my Vikings strategy. I had some lucky draws for terrain, where I was usually able to throw down three houses in addition to one that was already there, to form a sort of three-pointed star. That's the ideal arrangement for Hermits. You have one house in the middle, and then three evenly spaced around it. Then you remove the center one at some point and you have three isolated houses.

In this case I used the Harbor at first to remove the center house, and place it on water somewhere. Then I used the Paddock to jump it away and claim some location tile or castle. There weren't many location tiles worth much, so I mostly went for castles. I already had the Paddock and Harbor. The other two were Barn and Oracle. I got the Oracle after a couple turns, but I wasn't in a hurry. I didn't get the Barn until late. I wasn't really interested in the second Paddock, because it would probably be more than I needed. I could use it some turns but eventually all my houses would be isolated, and I couldn't do anything worthwhile with the second Paddock on most turns. If I had got it, I probably could have maxed out Hermits, but I wasn't really going for that at that point, just for the win. Before I got to it, my opponent completely surrounded it.

That was my opponent's strategy. Workers were also in play, so every location he surrounded scored him 6 points. He somehow was able to do that a few times; I'm not sure if he just drew lucky terrain or what. I guess to some extent he was able to use the Paddock to jump across to the other side of the hex, if he drew the same terrain again but wasn't drawing the terrain on the opposite side.

My opponent ran his houses out, but was the start player. I had 4 left, and could play them all exactly with my basic three actions and Oracle. Going into the last turn I had all individual houses except for a group of two and a group of three. However all my 4 final placements had to be placed adjacent. Additionally, after using the Barn and the Harbor, it would form a group of at least two. I extended two single houses by two and then removed the middle house with the Barn and Harbor to make them isolated again. I extended the group of three with the removed houses to a size of five. Then I used the Paddock to split it. Whichever way I split, I had 7 unisolated houses in two groups before, for a Hermit score of 35. The Paddock splits one group into three and so my score was 37.

I also got all six of the castles. My total score was 70: 18 for castles, 1 for Citizens, 14 for Workers, and 37 for Hermits. However my opponent did really well on Workers: 29. His total was 12 for castles, 11 for Citizens, 29 for Workers, and 12 for Hermits = 64.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
37?! That's some pretty impressive hermiting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.