Hide
3 Posts

Fury of Dracula (second edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Hunters drawing events throughout the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agri Fan
msg tools
In my gaming group we've played about 12-15 games of Fury of Dracula and we've always drawn events at every city the hunters have moved to (unless their turn is ended by an encounter or other such situation) initially because we thought it was mandatory. When we realised it was a choice we implemented it as a "house rule" as we were happy with the way the game played.

Reading these forums it seems like this is very rare, and the strategy guides I've read strongly advise hunters to stop drawing events once they've built a reasonable "dracula tool kit", which is usually something like: 1-2 good lucks, at least 1 forewarned, great strength/heroic leap, hypnosis, sense of emergency and sister Agatha.

I suppose I'm just wondering how much difference people think it makes to the game and who it really favours if the hunters keep drawing. Our results usually go in the hunters favour, although not always, and I don't feel disadvantaged by continuing to draw cards as the hunters because 1) I have more chance of pulling my cards, 2) I think I can hold on to more and 3) I think that the hunters allies are better and 4) the hunters are ahead in the devilish power/good luck war, so they probably can successfully play cards more often.

What do people think? Does it make much difference and who does it favour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agri Fan
msg tools
I agree with your analysis of when is a good time to stop drawing cards, I guess I was wondering if anyone else has played a game where the hunters have to keep drawing and how much difference they thought it made. As I see it:

PROS
-It could off-set the perception that Dracula is too weak which, whether it's right or not, comes up a lot on these forums.
-It feels more in keeping with the spirit of the game to me, in that the events seem like they are side effects of searching the city/resting so hunters shouldn't be able to choose whether they get them or not. [Granted, this one is just my opinion, others may differ]

CONS
-It makes the game less strategic
-Both players may have to discard events more often, or play them at the first opportunity rather than waiting until they see the ideal moment.

It also makes the game more unpredictable; I can't decide if this is a pro or a con. We're going to try allowing the Hunters to choose whether to draw Events or not in our next game and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.