4 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Monster treasure variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
I'm the kind of guy who's not afraid to house-rule a game if it means more fun for me, and so I'm using quite a few custom rules for CR that have been suggested by other BGG users (e.g. the varied initiative rule and the random 0-3 monster draw rule). However, I'm also using one simple house rule that I haven't seen anywhere so far, and I'd like to share:

When a monster is destroyed:
a) Put a marker on its final location. This marker represents a dropped treasure (item, spell, etc.). Just use one of the "item" markers face-down that are not being used by the adventure.
b) A hero can acquire the dropped treasure if he moves across the marked location. The hero doesn't need to stop at the location; the treasure can be picked up in the middle of the move. After acquiring the treasure, remove the marker and draw a treasure card.

This variant works for me for several reasons. First, it slightly increases the use of treasure cards, since each monster killed dropps a treasure. Second, it increases the number of meaningful choices a player must make during the game (e.g. should I go for that treasure on the adjacent tile, or should I continue on my course in the other direction?). And third, it also eliminates the thematically strange official rule that a hero can acquire a treasure even though the monster was killed two (or more) tiles away.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only weird thing about this variant is if you pick a Fortune or a Blessing "from the ground"... Thematically, thoseare supposed to happen right after you kill a monster, but with this variant, it means they could remain "on the floor" until "picked up"... sounds strange.

Maybe pick the treasure card right away after the kill and if its an item, then it stays on the ground, if its a fortune or blessing, resolve immediately.

This would work better IMO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Yes, I thought about this thematic problem too. However, then I decided to accept the idea of magic scrolls or potions that remain on the floor and are used as soon as the hero picks them up (i.e. triggering the immediate effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill A
United States
flag msg tools
I'm running a play-by-email& blog version, and that's how I'm doing treasures, with a slight modification. If it's a blessing/fortune/etc type then it is a scroll, or something that happens immediately once it's picked up. Second, I decide whether or not the monser is carrying the treasure, if if it's left back in its lair. Animals like Hunting Drakes would not be traveling around the forest carrying a two-handed sword. While a Blazing Skeleton would, maybe that sword was the one it used when it was alive, but it no longer remembers how to use it.

Another mod I made, and I'm not sure if this is a good one, is that I process the turns in the order that I receive them, so the whol eparty doesn't have to wait for someone who is out-of-town. Then after 24 hrs since the second-to-last hero goes, if I haven't received their turn then I will process the last hero's order as a "hold".

The adventure is of my own design.

At the current point of the adventure, there is a Blazing Skeleton beating up poor Arjhan, an Ibixian calling for help, and a Dark Talon and Carrion Crawler, also advancing on Arjhan.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the progress of my adventure, I can post the link to my blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.