Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
this past sunday, I had the chance to teach (or at least, I did my best) and play the game to three new players. Everyone on the table had fun playing the game, even if someone complained about some unclear rules.
Probably it was even my fault, but the damn manual has the tendence to hide what you're looking for when you are looking for something specific... whistle
So, after this tough experience, I'm here to ask a couple of questions:

1. We ended up the game with 3 factions at 35 combined influence on their senators, one with 30 more or less and one (me) at 34 (and I'm quite happy for the result, as I am the only one who lost senators for death chit draw, loosing 2 of them, and loosing about 20-25 influence with them...cry At least I regained lost terrain very quickly). The question is: how are ties broken in this particular situation?

2. I looked through the rules a reference about when the "corrupt" side of a concession must be shown, but the only one that I saw was the one about armaments and shipwright. When do you have to show the "corrupt" side of a tax farmer concession? Where is it written?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gixx wrote:
Hello,
this past sunday, I had the chance to teach (or at least, I did my best) and play the game to three new players. Everyone on the table had fun playing the game, even if someone complained about some unclear rules.
Probably it was even my fault, but the damn manual has the tendence to hide what you're looking for when you are looking for something specific... :whistle:
So, after this tough experience, I'm here to ask a couple of questions:

1. We ended up the game with 3 factions at 35 combined influence on their senators, one with 30 more or less and one (me) at 34 (and I'm quite happy for the result, as I am the only one who lost senators for death chit draw, loosing 2 of them, and loosing about 20-25 influence with them...:cry: At least I regained lost terrain very quickly). The question is: how are ties broken in this particular situation?

I'm guessing, but I imagine they all win. This game can have any number of winners, including zero.

Quote:
2. I looked through the rules a reference about when the "corrupt" side of a concession must be shown, but the only one that I saw was the one about armaments and shipwright. When do you have to show the "corrupt" side of a tax farmer concession? Where is it written?

Thanks.

If you take the money, show the corrupt side.
Don't have the rules to hand, so no idea where it says this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you have the concession, you MUST take the money when it is available to take, therefore, if you have a concession like the tax farmer, you will be corrupt every turn, and therefore always eligible for a minor trial. In the case of armaments, if no legions are raised that turn, you would not become corrupt.

The corruption goes away every turn after the censor finishes his convictions. If he doesn't convict you, you get away with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bedlamboy wrote:
If you have the concession, you MUST take the money

Not everyone plays with mandatory Concessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ward wrote:
bedlamboy wrote:

I understand that from reading these forums, however the mandatory nature IS in the rules, both under drawing income from concessions and under "Concessions." Anyone can certainly change any rules they like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bedlamboy wrote:
Ward wrote:
bedlamboy wrote:

I understand that from reading these forums, however the mandatory nature IS in the rules, both under drawing income from concessions and under "Concessions." Anyone can certainly change any rules they like...

Yup, VG changed that rule for their edition. Prior to that, it was optional and even explicitly stated as such in the Living Rules. I believe the corrupt strip was added to the "mandatory" concessions to allow for play with the unchanged rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's good to know, in case I play with anyone who has the old AH rules, so we agree on how to play it. I really like playing with them as mandatory, but I can see benefits to making it optional.

My favorite part of the game is the mix of making choices and having the senate make choices for you. The real strategy is making the choices you didn't plan on, work to your benefit, and try to minimize the negative as much as possible in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.