6 Posts

Empire Builder» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a first edition of Empire Builder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dent
msg tools
Hello all,
I have this game, and I'm trying to figure out if it's a first edition, or something else.

My reasons to wonder if it's a first edition are as follows:
On the bottom of the box, the copyright is listed as 1982, which is earlier than the first listed version on this site.

In my searching, I have not found that box art.

The number 503 is printed on the side of the box, and also on the lower right hand corner of the bottom of the box, so I would believe that to be the Mayfair product number.
But that doesn't match anything I find, except that the number listed for the 1984 version is 5030.

Also, the game rules don't list exact numbers for the cargo type counters, and I'm not sure if I have all of them, and I'd like to know if I do or not!

Thank you in advance for your time, and any help or information you're able to provide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's the first edition. I had one a while back, but don't any longer so I can't help with the exact counts. Typically, there are 3 or 4 of each.

The version listed with a 1984 date is the second edition. You could add a new version for the first edition. There are already some pictures to use for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original, and in my copy (IIRC, as I am not at home) there was a sheet that, on one side, showed what commodities were provided at what cities, and also showed how many of each commodity type there is.

I can double-check when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
traveln_guy wrote:
In my searching, I have not found that box art.

I did find these covers in the image gallery

but a box with that cover is not currently represented in the Versions section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
traveln_guy wrote:
The number 503 is printed on the side of the box, and also on the lower right hand corner of the bottom of the box, so I would believe that to be the Mayfair product number.
But that doesn't match anything I find, except that the number listed for the 1984 version is 5030.

Looking at the cover images for cover and bottom themselves, I find simply "503"

I'll submit a correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dent
msg tools
Ahh, thank you for the quick responses!

DarrellKH wrote:
I have the original, and in my copy (IIRC, as I am not at home) there was a sheet that, on one side, showed what commodities were provided at what cities, and also showed how many of each commodity type there is.

I have a sheet which on one side has a list of the cities and what commodities are available at them, and on the other side has a list of the commodities and at what cities they are available, and a chart of "The load symbols". But no listing of how many there should be of what.

Having said that, I realized that since I have the original punch-out frames for the counters, I can figure out how many there should be.
And doing that I do have the right number of counters that would fill the frames, so I do believe I have the right number of those.

If it would be helpful I can count them up and give that info of how many of what cargo counters there are.
But since I've just discovered this site and am not familiar with it, I'm not sure I'd know what the right page/place would be to put that info in.
If someone else would want to do that, let me know, and I'll post the counts for my set.

Thanks again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.