Angola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving out of Zaire and Namibia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving out of Zaire and Namibia is not clear to me.

The rule says that you can exit Zaire or Namibia only by the road link.
Does it mean that one cannot exit Namibia or Zaire to the other adjacent 2/3 adjacent regions ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lugbar wrote:

Does it mean that one cannot exit Namibia or Zaire to the other adjacent 2/3 adjacent regions ?

Both Zaire and South West Africa are both oddities in the rules and are dealt with differently from each other.

On moving out of Zaire, you can leave Zaire using road movement but do not have to. Rule 14.1.1 allows movement into any of the 4 adjacent regions. These adjacent regions are classed as 'clear' terrain (presumably only for movement purposes)which means you can continue moving up to 2 further regions as long as those 2 regions actually are clear terrain. (Edit: This is wrong- See further posts in this thread whistle)

South West Africa works differently. You can only move out of South West Africa using road movement via Peira de Eca (see 14.2). You cannot move from South West Africa into either of the 2 clear regions on either side of Pereira de Eca.

You can move into both Zaire and South West Africa from any of the adjacent regions. You can also exert retreat zones and support in combat any of the regions adjacent to Zaire and South West Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark of carnage wrote:
Lugbar wrote:

Both Zaire and South West Africa are both oddities in the rules and are dealt with differently from each other.

On moving out of Zaire, you can leave Zaire using road movement but do not have to. Rule 14.1.1 allows movement into any of the 4 adjacent regions. These adjacent regions are classed as 'clear' terrain (presumably only for movement purposes)which means you can continue moving up to 2 further regions as long as those 2 regions actually are clear terrain.

South West Africa works differently. You can only move out of South West Africa using road movement via Peira de Eca (see 14.2). You cannot move from South West Africa into either of the 2 clear regions on either side of Pereira de Eca.

You can move into both Zaire and South West Africa from any of the adjacent regions. You can also exert retreat zones and support in combat any of the regions adjacent to Zaire and South West Africa.

Thanks for your response Mark.
But having read the rules again and also a note about moving in Zaire in this forum(you were part of this dicussion), I have now also a different understanding.

Read first=>
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/825191/zaire-proper

"Region" is the term used inside Angola
"Area" is for the special zones outside Angola

"A force beginning its move in an area of Zaire Proper may move to an adjacent region(it may use road movement if it moves along a connecting road)"
OK clear for me

"It treats the adjacent area as clear terrain and can continue moving after entering the area"
This refers only to the other area of Zaire proper.
So moving to adjacent regions is as normal. Jungle and Savannah remain jungle and savannah !! So you must stop your move when entering Sao Salvador from Zaire proper, for instance.

"Forces may leave South-West Africa along the connecting road"
I am very surprised that you leave SW africa ONLY along the road while you can enter from the 4 adjacent region.
Is that not strange ???
Is the meaning not that you can use connecting road among other solution ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Betrand, of course your right- the bit in 14.1.1 refers only to the areas in Zaire and it doesn't mean the adjacent regions are treated as clear. My mistake!

I agree with you that it is odd that UNITA can move into SW Africa from any of the 3 adjacent regions but can enter Angola via only 1 region. Not that everything needs a rationale but it might represent the logistics of needing to travel into Angola in an ordered fashion via a road that isn't as important when piling out of Angola to regroup in SW Africa.

In that old thread you referred to Jon appears to say you don't need to use road movement to leave Zaire so looks like you do need to use road movement to leave SW Africa but not Zaire. Clarification would be good though.

Quote:
it is ok to, for example, start your move in the Zaire Proper region just north of Maquela, move through the other region of Zaire Proper (treating it as clear) and do a further 2 clear regions to end your move in Santo Antonio.

Yes (with the same caveat about the incorrect use of the word "region" when referring to one of Zaire Proper's two areas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.