Outcasts (fan expansion for BattleCON)» Forums » News

Subject: The Rise of Sol the Majestic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb

Born someplace, raise someplace else, a wanderer for as long as he could remember, Sol knew his destiny since he was a child. He would be a world famous performer. Master of juggling, fire-breathing, uni-cycling, sleight of hand, straight jacket escapes, tumbles, rolls, flips and vaults -- he trained for his entire life to achieve his destiny. He performed before crowds wherever people would stop to watch, and while he busked he fed on their adoration - always pushing himself to new heights. When he heard that great fighters from the world around were gathering, he packed his things and set out to deliver the greatest performance of his lifetime; he would awe the greatest fighters of the world into submission -- or die trying. Either way, he'd be famous.

Sol the Majestic is one of the oddest characters in our bunch, mostly because playing as or against Sol is like playing a different game all together. His opponents do not fear timeout or loss of life, and instead have to be constantly aware of the odd tricks Sol has up his sleeve to gather his Fame tokens.

Sol wins the game when he executes his Overdrive Finisher, which he can only execute if he has 5 Fame (and in fact, he automatically executes when he has 5 Fame, and continues to do so until he activates and wins). Sol cannot win by dealing damage or running the game to time out, that's just not his style.

Each of his styles has a condition under which he gains a Fame token, these conditions are often made difficult by the styles other effects. For instance, Sleight of Hand has +2 Priority, but he gains 1 Fame at End of Beat if he was not the Active player. It's got a solid priority boost, but he wants to use it only when he thinks his opponent will have even higher priority.

He is a very interesting character to play, and as mentioned already - it's a very different game when he's involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Just looking over Sol's styles, I wonder if fame is a little easy to come by? Magdelina slowly grows more powerful as the game goes on by leveling up with one of her styles, but she only has one way of leveling up. Sol has five ways to gain fame and can theoretically win in five turns. Also, Firebreathing is a confusing style. I assume that it's a mistake and should say "Start of Beat: You may lose two life in order to have +3 power. Has Sol been playtested a lot? I do not see him losing easily. With such high priority, it might be difficult to avoid stun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He has been tested a lot (but not as much as official characters, I would not be surprised if any of our character turn out to be a bit off the mark -- but I'm around and planning to revise based on feedback regularly as needed).

You have to remember that he doesn't win normally (and subsequently play normally). All of his styles gain fame, yes - but they are all designed to be counter-productive to their fame gaining.

EDIT: Firebreathing says to have "- 3" power, not +.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Ahhh!!! He makes so much more sense now!! I don't think I read a single card right. For some reason, my head read every card as if they help you get the fame. I love this character so much more now. Sorry for being a knob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Statham
msg tools
The problem I'm seeing with Sol is not in normal play (it doesn't feel perfect but nor does it feel hugely unbalanced in any way) but in teamplay.

Tag games, team matches, games against monsters in the new dungeon mode or play against bosses in general. In all of these situations he starts to look seriously broken.

His abilities potency is obvious, the inability to deal the final blow is really not going to counter that once you can just swap him out with someone else to finish the enemy off. I'll freely admit to being very new to the game so I may be completely wrong in this, but it seems like for him to work beyond novelty matches against him he needs a further disability.

Personally the only thing that popped into my head that fit his theme was to make his damage completely fake, such as all his attacks being stage effects that look cool but can't normally hurt anyone, with his 'lover not a fighter' nature cementing this. Thus counting as doing damage but not reducing enemy life.

Though then you have issues with not being able to nullify familiars or affect arenas via damage...I suppose fake damage against players and bosses only would get past that as well. As well as fitting his themes if he can mess with his attacks to make them damaging but refuses to use the non-stage versions against sentient things.

In any case as I said I'm new so I'm probably wrong. I comment mainly because reading through the Outcasts' characters so far I really liked all of them and especially the various themes and other fluff elements, it just jumped out to me that Sol would have team issues...mainly because my first thought on reading him was how fun it'd be to team him with the ghost puppeteer in Devastation.

He'd be trying not to get upstaged and completely ignoring whatever threat they faced XD

Or at least that's how I read him.

Also it's a pity there's no character quotes on the Overdrive cards. I'd bet on Sol's being hilarious and going by their stories I can see the other characters being just as flavourful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely right, Sol is definitely not balanced for anything other than 1v1. When we designed him, Devistations wasn't on anyone's radar yet (well, Brad's probably) and I opted to focus on his function in 1v1 and not to worry about making him a viable "teammate" for any of those modes.

He might work, but probably not (mostly Firebreathing puts him way over the top in terms of damage output).

Once we get the rest of the cast tested and made public I may return to Sol and see if I can draft a "Team Friendly" version of his unique ability

As for the Overdrive's not having quotes, that's a fantastic recommendation; and I will amend that as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Statham
msg tools
Will you guys be giving the Outcasts' characters Striker cards and second Overdrives to match the updated characters from War?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anzereke wrote:
Will you guys be giving the Outcasts' characters Striker cards and second Overdrives to match the updated characters from War?

Striker Cards, probably not -- however, second Overdrives is on our list of things to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Statham
msg tools
Awesome, I'm very much looking forward to it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anzereke wrote:
Awesome, I'm very much looking forward to it all.

Because you asked directly I pushed a bit harder and have just uploaded an update of Masika / Layla -- not only with bigger character markers, but also a secondary ODF. Watch out for it, it's pretty neat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.