Subject: setup with less than 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have so far only played once, 5 players. The interlocking setup meant that I had one'side' free. I was able to expand out quickly and dominate newly discovered tiles far away from others. Is this simply how it works and people just need to be aware and stop the'free' player or are there alternate setups for less than 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles you added to the board were still available for others to add species or elements. So I am not sure what you mean by "far away", unless you are implying nobody uses speciation, only migration, to expand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's just how it is. You're not the only one who's free to expand though, as the player on the other side of the open hex is in the same situation as you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you we're playing less experienced players because I wouldn't have let that happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Sounds like you we're playing less experienced players because I wouldn't have let that happen

First turn glaciation would have shut that right down. but I don't know that you're describing such a huge advantage. Speciation lets other animals move right in, often with greater numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
First turn glaciation would have shut that right down.

More likely in my group for glaciation to hit someone's starting space than an expansion space that two players are next to and fighting over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live with this unrealistic hope that "fewer" is not yet a dead word in English. I guess I'm just going to have to accept that I'm going to one day become a crazy old man in the retirement home who drives the nursing stuff mad with my incomprehensible grammar rants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
I live with this unrealistic hope that "fewer" is not yet a dead word in English. I guess I'm just going to have to accept that I'm going to one day become a crazy old man in the retirement home who drives the nursing stuff mad with my incomprehensible grammar rants.

Seeing as they are interchangeable, Yes your living with unrealistic hope.

Check http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_vs._less#_ and look under historical. One guy said it it was his preference and a bunch of other people decided to agree. It might be their preference by its not a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
One guy said it it was his preference and a bunch of other people decided to agree. It might be their preference by its not a rule.

I know. I just always thought it was productive to help reinforce the distinction between countable and uncountable nouns. Language doesn't have to conform to my demands, but it was a nice thing while it lasted.

Not to mention that when it comes to the comparisons using numbers, this distinction is somewhat useful. 5.7 is "less than" 6, whereas "fewer" denotes measurement of only discrete whole number quantities of things. But at this point it seems like almost as much as an uphill battle as trying to reintroduce case marking in English.

Sorry. Just getting in practice for my retirement home rants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I have so far only played once, 5 players. The interlocking setup meant that I had one'side' free. I was able to expand out quickly and dominate newly discovered tiles far away from others. Is this simply how it works and people just need to be aware and stop the'free' player or are there alternate setups for less than 6?

Irrelevant...

It's much more valuable to point out a player who is going to populate all of the 7 glacier tiles and score a boatload of point rather than worry about an insignificant territory at the beginning of the game.

Others will Migrate/Speciate there if there are points to be gained..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Josh, just to support what others have said, I suspect it was player inexperience that allowed this to happen. It is not a Euro in the sense you do not need to be pro active. It is a self balancing game as long as everyone spots the dangers, which they will after a game or two. I would not care much if I started out on one tile with one species. Or none for that matter.

The players opening positions have no real impact on the game in reference to winning advantages (which is why those who moan about being wiped out on turn one are completely wrong in my opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.