Subject: Rule clarification needed when playing with The Messages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Humphries
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
The Messages mini-expansion introduces a second counting figure per player. Can a robber figure be placed beside either of these two figures?

Also, having two scoring figures per player would seem to limit the effectiveness of the robbers. If I score a large feature and a robber is on the same square as one of my scoring figures, surely I can just move the other one instead? Then wait until I score a small road to move the robbed figure, or just never move it again!

Any one got any clarifications (or other spotted issues!) for playing these two mini-expansions together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very good question. I'd would also like to know! It's a sign of very poor design and development if 2 expansions from the same collection can't be combined together . But it's a norm for recent Carc expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place the robber beside any counting figure other than your own, so yes, you can put it beside the figure from the Messages (it's actually meant to be a female figure but the Rio Grande version of the rules doesn't mention that).

However, you're right that this does limit the usefulness of the robbers; but then it's the same for everyone.

Also, you only get a message when one of your counting figures reaches a dark space, so it might still be worth moving the one with the robber next to it if it will get you a message and the other one wouldn't! But you probably don't want to do that if you're scoring a lot of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
It's a sign of very poor design and development if 2 expansions from the same collection can't be combined together . But it's a norm for recent Carc expansions

Which do you mean? I can't think of any official expansions where this is a real issue.

Of course there are loads of Carc expansions out there now, and it must be damn near impossible to make sure there are no compatibility issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kettle Fish
msg tools
I posted at CarcassonneCentral many examples about the Robbers and the Messages.

Here is the link
Robber and Messages - Examples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Humphries
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Kettle Fish, saw this earlier today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just house-ruled that you are robbing from the player, not the scoring marker; therefore, if your robber is with Red, you score half of whatever Red scores next, regardless of which of his scoring markers he moves when scoring. Otherwise, you could get into that issue of people never moving the marker with the robber next to it.

Also, when a player robs from another player, I say that he may choose to move either of his scoring markers. It doesn't really matter which one, since players cannot rob your robbery points, but if you move your marker that has robbers next to it, those robbers still move with you.

This works for me. I hope that it makes things good for some of you, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.