Subject: Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
So number one - does anyone get Bulgaria on their side as Germany?
Seems a heck of a lot of work..

Number two - which countries do you aim for as fascists..

Never three - if you play 0g - do you get three times political effectiveness or two??
Card says three times, rule book says two.

Cheers again people,

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

#1 No. Your analysis is correct - a lot of work for almost no value.

#2.For Germany - Spain (will require a civil war won by the Nationalists), Turkey (the Soviets will fight you every inch on this one) and Sweden (only to prevent it going Democrat). Rumania always gets conquered by the Soviets before general war in our games - as has Hungary in the current one - but assuming Stalin doesn't do this, they are obviously very useful.
For Italy - you've got other things to worry about, countries may come your way through normal play and you may collect some of those targeted by German targeted , but it is rarely worth making a direct effort.
For Japan, central and south American countries can make the US squirm and generally will come your way without too much effort up to a certain point.

#3 You get three times the first time you play it, but only two times if you play it twice in a row. If you play it a third time in succession, you get it without multiple.

As a general recommendation, always use the latest downloadable rules. These supercede anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for answers :-)

Thought the 0g was 2 times, and your referring to an optional rule?

I did check rules on this site.

Re Bulgaria - ill attack them I guess.

So Sweden I think I can take.
Turkey take or coup.
Spain coup :-)

All sounds good!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
One more question - and I know this is really stupid...

I can't find Ethiopia bar the off map box only???

Where's the rest of Ethiopia so I can set up the rest of Italian forces
(bar Italian somaliland)

Stupid but I'm awful on geography...

Sorry..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, can't help you on Ethiopia - we use the Africa in Flames map so we get the full geography to play with, not just the off map boxes.

On the 0g thing, yes we play the 8.7.2 0g optional rule - you're right that if you just play the standard rule it's 2x, but I'd recommend using the optional as it gives people more points overall so speeds up play.

I also agree with all Simon's points on fascist focus areas, but don't forget the Yugoslavs - there's lots of resources and factories to go for there as well. Turkey is a bit of a problem, no Soviet player is going to let you get control of Turkey, it's just too threatening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ansettk wrote:
One more question - and I know this is really stupid...

I can't find Ethiopia bar the off map box only???

Where's the rest of Ethiopia so I can set up the rest of Italian forces
(bar Italian somaliland)

Stupid but I'm awful on geography...

Sorry..

It's there - one mountainous off-map hex. Find Egypt and the Red Sea on the eastern Europe map, and below and to the right (i.e., southeast) is Ethiopia. Just the one hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
That's what I thought :-(

So how do you get more italians on it?

I can't reinforce Italian somaliland as my transports only have 2 range??

Don't think I can use shore bombardment either?

I can get one marine + the hq and 2 starting inf on it but that's all??

Suggestions pls...

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can't use shore bombardment - Ethiopia is well inland. The painful truth is that it takes ages,you'll need to move loaded TRS out and then return them to base in a later impulse in Somalia. It usually takes the Italians two or three turns to get enough boys over there to take a crack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ansettk wrote:
That's what I thought :-(

So how do you get more italians on it?

You could ask yourself the question: is Ethiopia worth the effort for the Italians? Historically all Mussolini got out of it was an ego boost and revenge for Adowa. That and $3.50 will get him a coffee... though it might be cheaper in Ethiopia since that's where coffee cultivation started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You've got nothing else to do that early in a 36 campaign so you just have to grind it out. You are unlucky with the TRS pick - can you not scrap all the 2 range units at set up or are they not old enough?

And regrettably, since you start at war with them, you have to finish the job - it's no use leaving Ethiopians running about down there waiting for the British to use them. Just make sure you don't lose any boys - keep ground striking until you get the defenders flipped and have the best odds you can manage.

Of course once you've won the war you get to play the Victory Parade Political Option (if you are playing the extra options that came in that latest annual). Not particularly useful from memory, but so very Mussolini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
WIFFE 13.7.3 - declare a ceasefire :-)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.