11 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: end of the game and italy expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Adinolfi
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi guys i've just started playing this game and i love it .
I have only 2 questions for you that i wasn't able to solve reading the rules.
1) the game ends when a player builds in 15 ( or 17 according to the number of players) cities right? at that point can the other players finish the building step ? or the game ends and that's all?
2) i got the expansion for italy and i understand that basically the only difference is in the refilling resources scheme.i know that the refilling is different for each fase so it's different in fase 1 2 3 . does this apply for the italy expansion too? or its only the starting of the market that's different?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Please wait.
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
irisheagle wrote:
1) the game ends when a player builds in 15 ( or 17 according to the number of players) cities right? at that point can the other players finish the building step ? or the game ends and that's all?

The game ends in the round when someone builds their Nth city. You finish out the building round. The winner is the person who powers the most cities. (Ties broken by money, and you don't do a payout for the last round of powering cities.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) all players finish their turn.
2) yes, it applies.

ciao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
1) building to 17 cities triggers endgame but the game continues through Building and Bureaucracy.

The game is won by the player who actually powers the most cities and ties are broken by the most cash.

You will frequently see any one of the following (atypical) endings happen if you play enough:

Player A can power more cities than anyone else. He builds out to 17 cities (even though he can't power them all!) to cause the game to end and he wins by powering 16 (or 15).

Player A can power 18 cities, player B can power 17 cities. Player B builds to 17 but player A can build to 18 and wins.

Player A and B can both power 17 cities. Player A buys out enough coal so that Player B can't fire his coal plant. Game ends and Player A wins since player B can't power all of his plants.

And other variations on these.

2) There should be an insert with the Italy map that shows the resource replenishment rates for all 3 steps for each player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
Also, you may find Power Grid FAQ useful! (Your first question is answered in it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Adinolfi
Ireland
flag msg tools
CrankyPants wrote:
1) building to 17 cities triggers endgame but the game continues through Building and Bureaucracy.

The game is won by the player who actually powers the most cities and ties are broken by the most cash.

You will frequently see any one of the following (atypical) endings happen if you play enough:

Player A can power more cities than anyone else. He builds out to 17 cities (even though he can't power them all!) to cause the game to end and he wins by powering 16 (or 15).

Player A can power 18 cities, player B can power 17 cities. Player B builds to 17 but player A can build to 18 and wins.

Player A and B can both power 17 cities. Player A buys out enough coal so that Player B can't fire his coal plant. Game ends and Player A wins since player B can't power all of his plants.

2) There should be an insert with the Italy map that shows the resource replenishment rates for all 3 steps for each player count.

regard point 2 that's the problem i don't think there is any replenishment rates chart in the box . so i suppose the difference is only the way you fill the market at the start of the game ?
thanks to you all for the answears anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irisheagle wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

regard point 2 that's the problem i don't think there is any replenishment rates chart in the box . so i suppose the difference is only the way you fill the market at the start of the game ?

The replenishment for the France/Italy maps are the same as the base game, only the starting resources are changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irisheagle wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Replenishments can be found here:

Italy resource table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Adinolfi
Ireland
flag msg tools
Deep Silver wrote:
irisheagle wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Replenishments can be found here:

Italy resource table

great thanks . just curious , is this a variation from the basic rules?
if yes , why do they not supply it with the expansion map ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hims
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
The winner is the person who powers the most cities. (Ties broken by money, and you don't do a payout for the last round of powering cities.)

While in practical terms, I understand it won't make a difference since, if you're having to use the money tie-breaker, the players in the tie will have gained the same amount of money in the bureaucracy phase, people shouldn't interpret this to mean that there's a rule specifically stating that you can't take the money just to gain the warm capitalist glow of energy supply...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Please wait.
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
leeds55 wrote:
people shouldn't interpret this to mean that there's a rule specifically stating that you can't take the money just to gain the warm capitalist glow of energy supply...

"Ties are broken by those whose pile of money, when lit on fire, is able to illuminate the largest number of cities." (Make sure you have enough $1 bills for everyone!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.