Subject: Ethiopia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
In Wiffe Ethiopia is an off map box (1 square).
Can I (as Italians) Shore Bombard the one square??

Its a bit unclear in the rules, so what do people think??

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have access to the map here. The question is, is the Ethiopia hex coastal? That is, is there any BLUE in the Ethiopia hex? From memory, no - the only terrain is mountain. So not coastal, and not subject to shore bombardment.

That also makes real-world sense; Addis Ababa is pretty far from the coast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Yes there is blue on the square - hence my question

(Light blue if that makes any difference...)

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
msg tools
mb
There is also a minor port, making it highly likely that the hex is having a coastline

So if not playing with the Africa map, go ahead and blast away with your ships, if there is no special rule on off map hexes and shore bombardment.

Yours,

Jesper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see the problem now. The standard WIF map, using off map hexes for Africa, has Ethiopia lumped in with the other Italian possessions on the horn of Africa as it assumes a 39 start date. DOD with its 36 start date really needs the full Afica map, where Ethiopia is a landlocked, mountainous country, and Italy already owns the surrounding Italian Somaliland etc, so you can land boys in over time. With Italian starting transports, there is no chance at all that you could invade into the off map Ethiopian hex. I'm afraid you will need to use the African map - it is in the Vassal module (I cant remember if you are playing by Vassal or in the flesh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
We arent playing Vassal - just the standard Wiffe (with the one square for Ethiopia).

As its got a port - Ill chat with the other players to determine if it can be Shore Bombarded....

Looks like it can though????

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it, you do have Italian somaliland on the Asian map with a connector to Ethiopia, so could still build up the troops you need there. However, your 2 range TRS will take one extra turn to get there from Italy ( stage into Libya first, reorganise, then out into the Red Sea, return to base in It Somaliland. Painfully slow. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Its not just that.

In the full map, I could attack from more than one direction...

With this map, (one square) - I can only bring in two infantry and a HQ...

Far from ideal..

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse my rustiness as we mostly use the full maps so I can't remember communication line rules, but aren't there more adjacent hexes to attack down a grey communication line? So you should be able to get three stacks to attack Ethiopia? Again, no map in front of me so apologies if the terrain doesn't let you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ansettk wrote:
We arent playing Vassal - just the standard Wiffe (with the one square for Ethiopia).

As its got a port - Ill chat with the other players to determine if it can be Shore Bombarded....

Looks like it can though????

Kev

I'm home now, looked at the map. Yep you can shore bombard the heck out of it - there is blue coastal water in the Ethiopia hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gray
United States
Strasburg
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game or simulation?

If you are playing a game, sure go ahead and bombard. It is within the rules.

If you are doing an alternate history of how the war could have turned out, don't bombard. The simulation has errors and limitations, but Italians could never have done an amphibious invasion of Ethiopia, nor could they have used shore bombardment, as the coastal areas (Eritrea and Somaliland) were already under their control from the colonial era.

In other words, I'd say no, don't bombard but only because my sense of reality would make me insist on a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.