Subject: The Ukraine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Abrahamsen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Germany has just created The Ukraine in our current game, the Soviet player longs for his mill-units and is desperately seeking a way to bring them back.
As this is my first DOD game, I only know the normal Wif-rules:

19.12 The Ukraine (option 62)

Soviet MIL from cities in the Ukraine are removed from the game whenever they are no longer on map

and as the DOD rules for creating the Ukraine does not offer a better explanation, I'm inclined to going by the Wif-rules.

The Allies would like to have the mill-units as city-based volenteers or returning to the forcepool when they retake the cities, this is obviously countered by the Axis

Have we missed something?

PS. the German city based cav-unit Andrej Vlassov has a lesser know 'brother' Ivan Vlassov:-), the Ukrainian HQ leader and our dear Allies does not approve of both 'brothers' fighting for the Axis, but since the paperwork on Ivan mysteriously dissapeared (is nowhere to be found in the rules) this might become a matter of much debate;-)if anyone has any knowledge of the subject, please share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Without checking the rules I can't be sure, but my feeling would be that once the Ukraine is conquered by the USSR (and it would be conquered rather than liberated I believe), then the Soviet MIL units for the cities in the Ukrainian SSR would be available to go back into the force pool.

If the Ukraine is subsequently liberated by Germany, then the MIL units would again be removed once destroyed.

As regard Vlassov, he may be an egotist, but it doesn't mean he is actually in the same place at the same time. I guess you could remove the CAV unit if destroyed when the Ukraine is in existence - the implication being that these troops would instead be incorporated in the national army rather than joining the German foreign legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Abrahamsen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, going by feelings won't get us far, it would have been nice to find some facts or rules, that we have missed in some obscure editions or add-ons. I fear that this is one of those 'grey' zones, where the argument will continue :-(

We know that the partisan value for The Ukraine will affect USSR for the rest of the game, as The Ukraine will be a conquered minor, but why the USSR would get the mill-units as city-based units or they should return to the USSR forcepool, I can't see, it's not like any other conquered minor supplys mill to the controlling major power.

As for Vlassov it states under the Wif rules:

22.4.8 City based volunteers (AfA, AiF, LiF& PoliF option 67)

City based volunteers that arrive in cities in an aligned minor country, are units of that minor county. All other volunteers are major power units.

Meaning that the Vlassov Cav unit is in fact already a Ukranian unit, arriving in 39(our current year) whereas the HQ Vlassov does not enter the forcepool until 1942.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My understanding, based on the present rules, is that the Militia units are buildable based solely by whether or not you control that particular city, and as such, if Russia retakes a given city, they can build that Militia unit. They are not CBVs (in that you don't otherwise get them for free the first time), but are still eligible to be built. Militia have never been limited to your home nation (see Britain and Japan, for one).

They would still count as Russian units if the Ukraine is conquered. If the Ukraine is an aligned minor of Russia, however (which is possible in WiF, though not easily in DoD), then they would be considered Ukrainian units in terms of cooperation/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.