Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the mixed reviews on the App Store and I'm wondering if anybody here has purchased the iPhone version. I have an iPhone 4.

Some are saying there is a problem with the drag and drop.

How does it compare to the board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerred Z

Omaha
Nebraska
msg tools
I'm not sure how it compares to the physical game, since I don't have the physical copy, but this game plays incredibly well on my Iphone 4s. Drag and drop isn't a problem at all, and the game is addicting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on Yucata a ton. I've yet to try to play against an actual opponent on Ios, but the AI has been fun to play against and the gameplay is pretty smooth. Hopefully that remains the case when I play online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a few games. While I wish the graphics were more similar to the board game (like the Yucata implementation), I think I've figured most of it out. Drag and drop is a little odd; for me, it seems like you have to drag past the place where you want to place your people. But you quickly learn to compensate for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I've played quite a few games. While I wish the graphics were more similar to the board game (like the Yucata implementation), I think I've figured most of it out. Drag and drop is a little odd; for me, it seems like you have to drag past the place where you want to place your people. But you quickly learn to compensate for it.

I'll say this about the drag and drop -- it's better than the drag and drop on Hacienda. I've wasted more than a few moves because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy the app and have not had any issues with the drag and drop mechanic. I wouldn't mind seeing them add an option for 'tap to place' on workers but it's not a big deal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the overall implementation is good. The drag and drop is a non-issue, though the worker drops where it is displayed on the screen instead of where your finger is (as other have mentioned, there is an offset). I, for one, like this better than the alternative. I can see on screen exactly where the worker is before I let go rather than have to presume that I am over the approximate area I can no longer see. If the app lacks one thing, it is an undo button, but I've only had an issue with this once in about 20 games.

Overall, this is one of the best board game implementations on iOS. For my dollar it measures at least as well if not better than highly regarded apps such as Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Ascension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started some league games ... the only complaint I have (and a very minor complaint at that) is that I can't choose my color.

When I play on the table, I'm blue.

I've grown accustomed to playing red on yucata.

Having my color be green or yellow takes some getting used to.

I love the play at your pace aspect of the league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded it yesterday and started a game. It's on hold due to holiday madness, but I will get back to it and finish sometime soon.

The drag and drop is fine. You can plainly see where the worker will be placed. I think it works as well, maybe better, than Ticket to Ride's drag and drop function. It took a few tries to get used to areas opening up when you need to place workers in certain production zones.

My next challenge is to figure out what the Civ. Cards symbols all mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Dembsky
United States
Sharon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd like to lend my support to the app- It's great! There are some cons I'll list below, but they don't dampen how much fun it is to be able to play against 1, 2 or 3 CPU opponents.

Issues:
A little glitchy. In a multiplayer game, my opponent somehow ended up with negative-1 gold. And graphically, the amount of food you gain/lose always doubles as the feeding screen goes away, though this is only a visual annoyance- You'll still have the correct number afterwards.
Playing multiplayer over time really affects the game, in that it's pretty impossible to remember which cards have been bought. I played a game with a friend and by the late game I had no idea which cards he had and which were left.
The CPU seems obsessed with making babies. Even the 'tough' opponent going first overall makes a baby- Being able to get a food level when you choose second or first makes the CPU rather easy to beat. Still, it's fun to do so

Still, it's a TON of fun to play, especially speaking as someone who's played the game a few hundred times. Get it and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cochlea wrote:

Playing multiplayer over time really affects the game, in that it's pretty impossible to remember which cards have been bought. I played a game with a friend and by the late game I had no idea which cards he had and which were left.

Well, technically opposing cards are hidden and you don't look through the deck to see what cards are left. In the iOS version if you click on your name you can see what symbols you have (on the right) and your multipliers appear in the upper left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Dembsky
United States
Sharon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah, I know, but when I play someone in person I can remember which of the "big" cards are gone (double mults and triple hut). Can't manage that in a game lasting multiple days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played about 6 games so far and I finally won one. It is quite a different experience when you can't see your civilization cards in front of you.

But as far as iPhone game apps go, I have to say that I like this one best of all. I don't spend a lot of time playing in one sitting, so it's nice to continue a game after I shut it off for a while.

I am digging it and I recommend it to anyone who thinks it might be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both the physical game and the ios one now. Having already played the board game about 4 times, I had no problem working out how the ios version worked without any need for tutorial - it's very intuitive and personally I think the drag and drop works great. It's not quite as addictive as Ascension (mainly since it takes longer to play), but it is a very good implementation I would say.

My only issue is that, as others say, the AI doesn't seem too good - and obsessed with making babies - even on the highest level it is very easy to beat playing two player. I did find it harder on 3 player before switching to two player (to speed games up). I will have to go back to three player to see whether that still makes it a bit trickier to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Scott
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very polished game. I can't wait for the iPad version.

I have a couple of minor gripes with it:
1) multiplayer seems to be really slow. One game even rolled back mine and my friends moves by a whole turn?

2) local pass and play is good, but I don't understand why you can't add some AI players in to fill up to a 3 or 4 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSD
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game better in real life, I tried the iPad version and wasn't blown away. Same thing shooed with Ticket to Ride but I loved it in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
Overarching rule to live by: ALL board games are better in real life!

Stone Age became one of my favorite games to play (in real life) after just a couple of plays. I only downloaded the iOS version to get my fix in between real games.

I don't like the way the game handles civilization cards. It's much easier to see your civ. bonuses when you have cards laying in front of you. The iOS solution is too wonky for me. It's also very satisfying for me to handle my wooden pieces. It's one of the reasons I enjoy board games over video games, that and the very social aspect that board games bring.

I usually don't buy iOS apps of board games unless I've played and enjoy the board game. I appreciate the iOS versions have AI players who don't have Analysis Paralysis, so games go quickly. They really allow you to pass the time when you get bored while waiting for your food order at the drive thru, driving back and forth to work, and listening to your spouse tell you about her/his day. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.