Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: "First Time" Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason R.

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
Hi folks. Just picked up a copy of PG as a gift for my wife. We're both newcomers to the game, and our plan (I hope) is to teach ourselves over a few 2p games during the holidays.

I have seen some posts here mention "first time rules" for players new to the game, but I took a spin through the rules PDF at Rio Grande games and didn't see anything like that in there. Can someone tell me what these "first time rules" are, in case they are not in my rulebook? (Gift is still sealed.) Seems like a good place for newbies to start.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Page 7 of the Rio Grande rules PDF I have shows this:
Quote:
The first game
If there are first time players, we recommend you play only step 1. If a player makes serious mistakes at the beginning of the game, he
normally cannot catch up and it may be frustrating for all players.
The game ends when one player has built 7 cities. He stops adding cities, even if he can add more. The other players, who have not played
phase 2 in this round can also build up to 7 cities. Like the main game, the player with the most supplied cities wins, if there is a tie the
player with the most remaining money wins.

You should also read through Power Grid FAQ, which clears up many common newbie confusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hims
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stummies wrote:
Hi folks. Just picked up a copy of PG as a gift for my wife. We're both newcomers to the game, and our plan (I hope) is to teach ourselves over a few 2p games during the holidays.

I have seen some posts here mention "first time rules" for players new to the game, but I took a spin through the rules PDF at Rio Grande games and didn't see anything like that in there. Can someone tell me what these "first time rules" are, in case they are not in my rulebook? (Gift is still sealed.) Seems like a good place for newbies to start.

Thanks for the help.

The rule book wrote:
If there are first time players, we recommend you play only step 1. If a player makes serious mistakes at the beginning of the game, he normally cannot catch up and it may be frustrating for all players.

The game ends when one player has built 7 cities. He stops adding cities, even if he can add more. The other players, who have not played phase 2 (power plant auction) in this round can also build up to 7 cities. Like the main game, the player with the most supplied cities wins If there is a tie the player with the most remaining money wins.

This effectively makes the game shorter & removes some of the common mistakes in bureaucracy between steps (with steps, phases & turns all being wonderfully similar terms in common parlance but distinct in Power Grid).

Also, you may find Power Grid FAQ useful once you decide to step up to the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R.

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
Thanks for the help. Either I am looking at something else or I completely missed that. Appreciate the quick response and will check out the FAQ as well. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you enjoy Funkenschlag (I like to refer games by their German names - they sound more impressive), it's one of my 3 favourite business games.

While this isn't answering your question, I thought I'd warn you of some things that can cause trouble for first time players.

Download some play aids from the Files secdtion of the game. The set-up, turn order and victory conditions vary between board and number of players, and the order things happen at phase changes can lead to rules hunting. I won't recommend one in particular as the one I've used isn't great, and there's been lots more posted since I printed my copy.

Also, download a list of the Power Plants. In contested auctions you need to know how mant more Plants of that size are left (so you can make the victory target with 3 plants), so a list is vital. This file lists them in size order and grouped by resource use.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/36078/power-grid-plant-lis...

And if you like the game, get more maps! The original maps are not the best - Germany is OK, but a bit easy (everything's cheap to link), while USA has the weirdness of the West Coast being so isolated (not such as issue in 2 player, you can just omit it). I like Italy (the shape makes it vicious), China (different system for the power plant auction queue) and France. Benelux and Korea are good small maps (4 players) which might suit you as well). There are also a lot of downloadable maps in the files, but with all the official maps I have I don't feel the need to add more (my set is now two crammed boxes and a ton weight).

Hope you enjoy this classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

Smyrna
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please share your experience?

Also, consider playing on BSW if you want to expand your opponent (and competitive base). Many of the 'regulars' are power veterans.

One quick reminder; read the FAQ - there were rules on there I had no clue misusing and the game play went smooth enough that I didn't believe I needed to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.