Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on this thread, I'm trying to determine if we can make the process of creating custom species tokens for DS more realistic.

The question is, would it work to have BIG tokens representing 5 of a species (allowing there to be fewer pieces created overall)? I'm not sure whether it would or not, as species are often spread out in little bits all over the board.

I'm seeking the feedback of the heavy DS players in here. I don't have enough games under my belt to feel confident of my answer. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Herren
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI,

I have not used them myself, but Litco makes some tokes and markers that are compatible with DS.

Thanks,
Damon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DamonH wrote:
FYI,

I have not used them myself, but Litco makes some tokes and markers that are compatible with DS.

Thanks,
Damon

Thanks! We've got a source for making them. I'm just wondering about the numbers so we can figure out how many to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Species tokens or dominance tokens? My friend used little rubber animals for dominance tokens and they worked great - still used the cubes for individual species though - since you can sometimes get 15+ on a single space anything else is just too damned big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For this case we're talking species tokens. The dominance cone replacements will be completely different.

Quote:
since you can sometimes get 15+ on a single space anything else is just too damned big

That's kind of why we're bringing this idea up. If we had species tokens that represented 5 species (and were bigger to make that clear) it might help that. But I don't know if there will be enough species to go around in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think it would slow down the game. It is easy to look at the cubes at a glance and count them. If you did do "something" I wouldn't make them much bigger than the cubes, and also try to make them similar size to each other.

One thing I think helps is dedicating a color to an animal class. Playing often using different colors for various animals make it easy to loose track when you are trying to determine animal class tie breakers for tile scoring.

BPb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:

One thing I think helps is dedicating a color to an animal class. Playing often using different colors for various animals make it easy to loose track when you are trying to determine animal class tie breakers for tile scoring.

That will happen by default here, as they will each be manufactured in one color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

That will happen by default here, as they will each be manufactured in one color.

No, I think you misunderstood mean. I mean to say, assign a single color to an animal class... so Amphibians are always aqua for example. This rather than letting the guy that must be green, always be green no matter what animal class he is playing.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope... I got you. Each species will have a shape associated with it, but that shape will correspond to one of the colors of the game. So, for example, if you pick mammals, you'll ALWAYS be yellow, because the little monkeys will be yellow.

If a person just HAS to be yellow, well, that person got mammals, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Honestly I think it's already too crowded, and meeples is the wrong direction. I think much better is getting wooden discs stickered up with numbers, in effect, "mini poker chips". I've got some of those, and you can also then put a plain disc under the dominant colour to "lift it" and thus avoid the need for cones as well (though they are a bit more clear), you only then need 1 disc per colour there on each hex, with the numbers easily visible, and the dominant chip raised above the others.

if you want a bit more cool factor, you can buy small cheap plastic or rubber animals from a kids toy shop and replace the cones with them

I feel comfortable with the idea since it's not something anyone is trying to sell. We're just making them for fun. They're going to be injection moulded, so the sticker thing really isn't an option.

Really, my main goal here is to figure out the numbering thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Oh I'm not trying to rain on your parade, knock yourself out, I thought you were asking whether meeples would work, so I just thought I'd mention that I think the numbered discs are a lot more usable than having more bits on the hexes, good luck with your project though!

It's not so much whether or not meeples will work as it is whether or not we can produce fewer meeples and make some bigger to represent 5 meeples. I can't come to a conclusion on that.

I do, however, think the discs idea is a good one. We often end up stacking our cubes, which is a pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Quirken
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Honestly I think it's already too crowded, and meeples is the wrong direction. I think much better is getting wooden discs stickered up with numbers, in effect, "mini poker chips". I've got some of those, and you can also then put a plain disc under the dominant colour to "lift it" and thus avoid the need for cones as well (though they are a bit more clear), you only then need 1 disc per colour there on each hex, with the numbers easily visible, and the dominant chip raised above the others.

if you want a bit more cool factor, you can buy small cheap plastic or rubber animals from a kids toy shop and replace the cones with them

This seems like a good idea for me... have some mini-poker chips with numbers on them, and then put a little dinosaur/animal/whatever on top of the chip. Since you only need one, you can have the animals be larger, and you only need as many animals as there are as potential hex spaces on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Covitz
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Absolutely would buy some meeples for ds. Wood or plastic would be awesome. Keep them to about same size, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.