The Republic of Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Play-by-Email Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
I am interested in running a game of Republic of Rome. I am thinking that we’ll use ACTS Warhorsesim for the strategy cards and diplomacy discussions, and we’ll have an excel file in lieu of a game board to keep track of the senators, and provinces and everything else. Anyone interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play this game as I've only played a couple of solo games of the Valley Games edition. It seems a wonderful game.

Although I've played lots of other games on Vassal, I've never tried ACTS or other systems, so I might be a bit of a drag on the game, as well as needing to read the rules again cos i haven't touched it for a year.

anyways...

Phil
UK
GMT+0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would really like to get in on the action with a game of Republic. I have played before but have not played very recently. Would appreciate a place in any forthcoming game.

Cheers

Andy B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Australia
Armidale
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played my first game (report here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/896437/our-first-game-rome-s...) and I'm interested in joining a PBEM game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
Cool, there is interest! I’ll start making up the excel spreadsheet. I read over the rules, and the only secret information appears to be the faction treasury. I think we might need to house rule that this is public info, because I don’t see a way to keep it secret without a game master. 4 players are enough to play, but 6 would be even better so I’ll leave this open for a bit.
ACTS is a very simple system, so you guys shouldn’t have any trouble getting set up on it, but just ask me for help if you do have any issues. It's primarily used to automate dealing a deck of cards, and rolling die. ACTS stands for automated card tracking system.

Do you guys have any preference for starting period (i.e. early, middle, or late?) Once we know this I can set up the ACTS game.
Also, I suggest that we stick with the basic game rather than the advanced, any objections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Australia
Armidale
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metzler wrote:
Cool, there is interest! I’ll start making up the excel spreadsheet. I read over the rules, and the only secret information appears to be the faction treasury. I think we might need to house rule that this is public info, because I don’t see a way to keep it secret without a game master. 4 players are enough to play, but 6 would be even better so I’ll leave this open for a bit.
ACTS is a very simple system, so you guys shouldn’t have any trouble getting set up on it, but just ask me for help if you do have any issues. It's primarily used to automate dealing a deck of cards, and rolling die. ACTS stands for automated card tracking system.

Do you guys have any preference for starting period (i.e. early, middle, or late?) Once we know this I can set up the ACTS game.
Also, I suggest that we stick with the basic game rather than the advanced, any objections?

The secrecy of the faction treasury is generally important. Though at the same time if playing a PBEM game there's nothing stopping somebody from privately keeping track of everyone else's income and expenditure. So for the sake of fairness it may be better to keep it open.

Have you considered posting over on the Consimworld forums? There may be some takers there: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d29c/591

There's also a Yahoo group and a mailing list: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/republicofromelist/

This site also has some great resources: http://www.amarriner.com/ror/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Australia
Armidale
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, and a long list of people interested in playing RoR by email:

http://www.grognard.com/eric/ror.html

(Note: last updated 2003)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
I got you 3 quite fast and we only need 2 more so I'm going to give it a day or two before I reach out to another site, but will do if I need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very much interested in a PBEM game of RoR. I have the Valley games edition, have read the living rules, but have never played before. I will try a solo game this weekend to be comfortable with the flow.

Mohit
GMT+5.30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Rowley
Australia
Nicholls
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is still a vacant slot, I'd like to play...
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
Great, that is 6!
Every please:
1. Sign up to ACTS if you are not already.
2. PM me the name and email you’re using on ACTS so I can find you and add you to the game. The game name will be “First Man in Rome”
Once everyone is in, we’ll use that for our main communication. A nice thing about ACTS is everything you type in there in game is automatically emailed to all players.

ACTS will take care of
1.Over the table discussion
2.Dice Rolling
3.The card deck
4.Starting senators
5.Mortality Chits

We will use the excel file for:
1. All the faction and senator information, such as influence, talents, ratings, popularity, knights, held concessions, held territories, loyal legions.
2. Rome’s treasury and unrest
3. The curis (i.e. unaligned senators and available concessions and provinces
4. All the war information (active, imminent, inactive.)
5. Anything else I’ve forgotten.

We will use email for:
1. Secret player-to-player communication. ninja

I would like to use the program Dropbox to maintain the excel file. I’ll name the file “First man in Rome 001,” and whenever a player does their turn and modifies the file, they can add a number such as First Man in Rome 002, and place it in dropbox. This will save us from having to mail it back and forth to each other after each players move.

So please sign up for Dropbox as well, and assuming it is the same email you are using for ACTS, I will send you an invite to the Dropbox folder as well. If you use a different email for Dropbox, just let me know.

And just so we’re all on the same page, we’ll be using the Valley Games edition most recent living rules. Also, if no one minds, I'll start the game in the Middle Period. I think its a good balance of Co-op vs competitive. If you guys object we can take a vote instead. Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, replied too late!
If you are going to need a replacement, I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
gixx wrote:
Darn, replied too late!
If you are going to need a replacement, I'm in!

Sounds good! I'll PM you if anyone drops out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
I'm still waiting on PMs from 2 of you. Lets keep it moving folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.