$10.00
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan and me decided that for the Baratheon box, we would keep our usual houses. That is, if it's Baratheon vs. Lannister, I get to play Baratheon, and if it's Baratheon vs. Stark, he does. Oh yes, and the Baratheon player has to write the session report. So here we go:

I'm a bit irritated that I have momentum - in this scenario, it's like "he who moves first gets hit first". Still, I don't want to lose any actions with regrouping or otherwise delaying the action, and so I use command 3 to move my zealots and some smugglers onto the middle token, keeping them in stalwart formation. This gives Lannister the opportunity to attack with his heavy infantry, weakening my zealots while their counterattack does nothing. Also, he moves his archers onto the other control marker, without me having a way to prevent that. So at the end of the round, he got his first token.

I also cross the river with the cavalry and Stannis. The get attacked by Marbrand's cavalry and on of my units is immediately destroyed.

Staring round two, I move one of my smuggler units onto the remaining token, and start a series of flanking as well as regular attacks on the heavy cavalry engaged with my red Army of the Light. An exercise in futility. The smugglers doing the flanking are in turn attacked by Lannister and quickly eliminated. Addam meanwhile makes short work of my second cavalry unit and also weakens Stannis, who in turn just manages to eliminate one of his units. His infantry eliminates my smugglers on the third token, and reactivates to move there. Second token for Lannister. Plus, he is way ahead on victory points.

I wasn't able to turn the crimson tide - I'll let the images speak for the remainder of the session.

Start of Round 3:

Start of Round 4:

In the end, I was actually happy that he did not manage to eliminate all of my units:

Final thoughts

I probably should not have advanced at the start. OTOH, there are not many things I could do without exposing my units. Ordering Melisandre just to place R'hollor tokens might have been good. Just advancing one space and unblocking the second ford might have been good, too. But Lannister can also play this game - in fact, he can play it better because of his archers.

About the new units

Melisandre and Stannis' Relay works very well - I never had to worry about command limits during the whole session. I also used her healing ability several times with good results. Could have made more out of this, if I had placed tokes right at the start. I did not try Shadow Child.

The smugglers are a mixed lot. 2 attack dice are really weak, and their mobility did not pay out in this game. Flanking attacks without being counterattacks were nice, except that they never caused a hit.

Cavalry without pursue feels rather strange and much weaker than regular cavalry. The 1 die if you attack first is ok. Heavy armor should be a big advantage for a 3-figure unit, but in this game, the dice were just too much in Lannister's favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. I always look forward to these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played this scenario for the first time also. As I've been playing Lannister all the way through the core set and all the smaller expansions, I've switched to the new army and let my pal take the red forces for a change. I advanced as Baratheon onto most of my markers that I had to hold, and then got smashed, just like you did. My conclusions:

1. The new Baratheon faction is lots of fun to play--and my opponent was very worried about Melisandre. She even took over one of the Lannister units! This was an event I'd only seen done in Samurai Battles. But...

2. Baratheon has the wrong kind of army for a "hold these positions" scenario. The Smugglers are for rapid flank attacks, not for holding down territory. The Fanatics are fun but not very flexible, as they can't retreat--again, the wrong troops for the job! The heavy cavalry is great, but positioned very badly at start. If you cross the river, you are immediately vulnerable; if you don't you remain out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark monk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I had the same problems. My cavalry got smashed against the river and the smugglers were just picked off easily. Melisandre did amnage to heal a number of times and with just one token left she almost killed Kevan with shadow child!

I did have a question about shadow child; Rules say that if at any time there are no tokens left the commander is captured. However, it also says at the end of the turn in a different sentence. Which rule do you follow as some leadership cards allow you to remove tokens during your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagaff wrote:
I did have a question about shadow child; Rules say that if at any time there are no tokens left the commander is captured. However, it also says at the end of the turn in a different sentence. Which rule do you follow as some leadership cards allow you to remove tokens during your turn?

The commander figure is immediately removed when the last shadow child token is removed. Exactly when that happens depends on how the token gets removed:

1. At the end of the command phase. This one is easy.

2. With a command card. This is a bit problematic, since the card text (at least in the German version) does not specify at which time the marker should be removed. Say you use that card to attack (not with Melisandre, of course) the commander who is targeted by shadow child, and he has only one token left. Do you remove him before the attack, or after? I would opt for after, but we'll probably have to ask FFG - unless the English card text is more specific.

Note that you do not get morale or victory points if you "remove" a commander with shadow child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.