United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of MSRP of $15 for the typical power grid expansion map, this one is $20....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see on the main page for this expansion, it has the usual double sided map AND 12 new power plant cards.

So all the different language editions are more expensive (German, English...).

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning wrote:
As you can see on the main page for this expansion, it has the usual double sided map AND 12 new power plant cards.

I think that's what I said? Ie. thread title is...

"yikes, the 12 cards have added $5 to the MSRP?"

which is 42 cents per power plant card

I just bought the Russia/Japan and Quebec/Baden expansions so between those and all the prior RGG published expansion maps I should be all set for a while so I can wait until I can snag it on sale some day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh. Really? Why not think about the value of the gaming you will get out of it as opposed to comparison to what the others cost and number of cents per card.

You have really broken down the numbers...

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
Gosh. Really?

Really, it's a legit question, sorry you don't agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
mudshark_baby wrote:
Gosh. Really?

Compare it to the BGG promo cards which work out to either $5.00 for 7 cards or $5.00 for 3 cards, depending on which set you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
mudshark_baby wrote:
Gosh. Really?

Compare it to the BGG promo cards which work out to either $5.00 for 7 cards or $5.00 for 3 cards, depending on which set you get.
guess I'm getting old but I remember the days when the promo cards used to be give a ways... now we have to pay BGG to get them (from what I recall BGG doesn't pay for them, the publisher gives them away to BGG to "distribute")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
mudshark_baby wrote:
Gosh. Really?

guess I'm getting old but I remember the days when the promo cards used to be give a ways... now we have to pay BGG to get them (from what I recall BGG doesn't pay for them, the publisher gives them away to BGG to "distribute")

And people buying those promos from BGG is probably one of their sources of income. I'll gladly pay BGG $5 to get a promo that was only given out at a con in Europe. Skip your morning coffee from Starbucks one day and you just paid for that awesome promo that will last much longer than that cup of joe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
mudshark_baby wrote:
Gosh. Really?

I agree that it IS a legit question. But don't forget that in addition to the cost of the cards, prices in general continue to rise. Older games that used to have an MSRP of $40 are now $45 or, in some cases, even $50. But I also pay more for a movie ticket, a gallon of milk, a meal at a nice resaurant. Inflation knows no bounds.

I ask myself before each purchase whether or not I think it's worth the investment, and not just in terms of what's in the box, but also how often that box will be opened and the game inside will be played. When it comes to a Power Grid expansion, it's usually a no-brainer for me. (Of course, the one map I don't have was the one that was $25 and came with a box...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
Skip your morning coffee from Starbucks one day and you just paid for that awesome promo that will last much longer than that cup of joe.

I'm of the opinion that if you are buying morning coffee at Starbucks, you aren't in a financial position to care much about $5.

I played this expansion the other day, and the new power plants really added some excitement to the game. They are worth the extra $2-3 actual store price (no one charges MSRP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
They are worth the extra $2-3 actual store price (no one charges MSRP).
Have you been to many FLGSs in the US?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked Boards & Bits. They have this expansion for $3 more than usual. My local retail store that I frequent has it for $4 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.