Hide
6 Posts

Tikal» Forums » Rules

Subject: Extended uncovering with movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Noble
msg tools
A question on something that seems to me to be strongly against the spirit of the rules, but is definitely not against the letter (as written in the English version, at least, and unless I've missed something).

Can a single expedition member, in a single move and subject to AP limits, be used to:
1: uncover a level of one temple,
2: move to another temple (adjacent, say), and then
3: uncover a level of that temple?

The rules restricting what can be uncovered relate to single temples, and the above breaches none of them:
1: "The player must have one member (("in the temple hexagon" is implied from earlier in the paragraph)) per level uncovered and..."
2: "...may only uncover 2 levels per temple per turn".

Using the above sequence, with 10APs and two adjacent temples linked by a single stone, it is possible to use only two expedition members to expose two levels of each of two temples (four levels in all) per turn, without at any point breaching either of those rules.

(It seems to me that the restriction that only one level of a temple can be uncovered per expedition member present was intended to limit uncovering to only one per member per turn - but that's not what the rules actually say, and it could be argued that the fact that they don't explicitly say so, but are phrased the way they are, means that the above was considered and deemed legal.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
been a while since I've played either online or on the table ... but I think you would be allowed to uncover, move, uncover again. The only restriction is, as you said, only two uncovers per temple per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see how its against the word or the spirit, to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a legal move and I don't think there is anything wrong about it. You may even uncover 3 temple levels with one expedition member on 3 different hexes in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally legal and totally in the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
msg tools
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Don't see how its against the word or the spirit, to be honest.

The spirit because, if it were part of the designers' intent that it be legal to uncover levels of two or more different temples with a single expedition member in a single turn, I simply don't see why they would have then deliberately included a rule that implicitly prevents a single expedition member from sitting in place and uncovering two levels of the same temple**. The latter is presumably there for a game purpose - so it makes little sense that they would then deliberately choose to allow something very close to equivalent under unusual circumstances.

(To me, this feels like an unintended rules consequence that slipped through the gaps, pure and simple. I can't prove that, but I trust my gut.)

**Allowing a second uncovering also begs the related question as to whether a solitary expedition member can legally (1) uncover a temple level, (2) move away, (3) move back and (4) uncover another level. Note that the rule about uncovering levels is quite loosely-enough worded to support arguments either way: "The player must have one member per level uncovered". Well - on the one hand, there were two uncovering actions, each removing one level, and at the time of each the player had the requisite number of pieces in the temple hex for the number of levels uncovered (i.e. at least one). There's nothing in the rules explicitly allowing two uncoverings of the same temple, but nothing prohibiting it either - just a rule saying that a player can't uncover more than two levels of the same temple in a single turn. On the other, the rules don't talk about uncovering actions, just the number of levels uncovered; the temple had two uncovered, but the player didn't have two expedition members in the hex.

(It's not necessary to answer the above. I'm not really looking to provoke further argument; I'm quite happy to accept that that's how the majority of people seem to have played the game for the last decade, if that's the case, and go with the flow. Just pointing out that the rules could have been clearer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.