13 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Chapter 4 - Bad system or I missundertood the rules? (spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Maiochi
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello guys, this is my first post on boradgamegeek forum but I hope I`m posting on the right one (Sessions)
So, my friends and I were playing the chapter 4 where the mice divide themselves in 2 groups (Nez`s and Collin`s)
At first we had some toruble on setting iniciative order because on the rulebook it says that everytime an Encounter card is faced up the iniciative order must be replace it, but since the two parties share te iniciative track on this chapter this reseting would bug all the game mechanic.
After a terrible gameplay we realised that for this chapter you should only reset iniciative order if an encounter card is faced up AND no minions exists in BOTH PARTIES (It might sound logical, but that is not what it says on the rulebook)
Otherwise instead of reseting iniciative order, simply put the new minions as if they were coming from a surge.

That problem already messed with our gameplay but the real problem with chapter 4 that we are facing is the current:
Since a party can use explore if the TILE is clear of minions the Collin`s party often reach Forge (Last tile of chapter 4) after Nez`s.
This doesn`t look like it should happen since the goal of dividing in 2 parties (according to the history book) is for both parties reach at the same time the last time, but is almost impossible to do that since Nez`s party have to clear 3 complete tiles untill they reach the Forge while Collin`s only need to clear 2.
So it`s kind of a down time when Collin`s party reach the Forge because Nez`s party is entering or in the best case clearing their 3rd tile before they also reach the Forge.
Thats a shame because even the Story event that follows once you reach the Forge tile has Nez`s dialogues (which is totally nonsense since he didn`t reach the tile yet).
Not only that, all monsters that appeared on the last tile, including boss that surged, were defeated by Collin`s party (yes, only 3 mice did all the job on this 6 mice quest)

So, after poiting that out I would like to know how were your experience on chapter 4 and if you know what it`s going on with chapter 4 and how can I make the 2 parties reach the Forge tile together (Attacking from each side)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the Rulebook is very clear. You only shuffle the initiative cards if there are no minion cards on the track. Just follow the rules. It sounds like you played this correctly.

In our two play throughs of this chapter we had it once where Colin got there first by a lot and once where Nez got there first by one turn. Rmember that Colin has to face two spiders, so while he has only two rooms he should face more difficult monsters.

I would recommend giving Nez your best equipped fighters. Also Nez's group should hurry not be constantly searching.

Chapter 4 is one of my favorite chapters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maiochi
Brazil
flag msg tools
Thank you for your reply
I only played once this chapter and Colling reached the Forge by 5-6 turns ahead of Nez.
When Nez reached the Forge the last hit was made and Collin`s party soloed the whole tile.
I think it should be mandatory for Nez reaching first or at least on the same turn that Collin does, since when you explore the tile it triggers a Nez`s story lines.

For all of that, chapter 4 is one of the worse chapter for me =/
I really like chapter 3 though, with the dice gaming and everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think Chapter 3 is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed... this was one of the better chapters... In our game, Nez's group made a critical mistake... they did not really read their board correctly... they spent a lot of time trying to cross the water, when they did not have too... this led to Colin's group getting mauled in the furnace room...

Luckily... Nez and crew arrived just as Lilly was the last one standing in the furnance room.. Manestro leveled just in time to get chain lightening... and Nez went beserk with all those rats to close for him to double attack...

Victory to the party... but lost 3 mice (Collin, Cleric, Thief)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hanft
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but lost 3 mice (Collin, Cleric, Thief)...

To those who have fallen, we salute you...

On our play through, Collin's party reached the room first. As we were reading the story moment we noticed that Nez had some speaking parts and decided to "Pause" Collin's party until the Nez group reached the room (they were still in their first room at that point, as Collin's party made quick work of the spiders). This probably wasn't correct rules-wise, but worked out really well thematically. In retrospect though, I think it would make just as much since if one party is delayed by their choices (Spend to damn long to search every room) and having to show up in the final encounter either as heroic reinforcements or too late to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Keele
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we failed miserably at Chapter 4. Collin's group dispatched the spiders without much problem, but Nez's group took much longer on the tile with the water going straight across, as well as the subsequent pipes tile. For a while we thought Collin & Co. were taking too long to get across their own water, but actually they beat Nez's party into the forge by way too much, and the resulting double encounter (really, two at once?!?) was too much for them to handle on their own. Meanwhile, mice were getting captured on the pipes tile and the cheese wheel was what finally made us bite the dust. I believe both Filch and Lily had been captured.

Seems to me that having a mouse captured is enough of a setback without also having to move the hourglass marker, but we generally follow the rules, so that's what we do even when it makes us lose.

I'm not sure how to best re-tackle Chapter 4 next time, other than putting Tilda in Nez's group instead of with Collin. It can be frustrating having the mice split up and not be able to share items or coordinate timing between the two parties. Seems to me Collin's group will typically arrive at the forge first and then have a tough time holding off minions long enough for Nez's party to arrive. It makes me wonder if it would be possible to have his party stall on the tile right before the forge while they waited for Nez's party to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I found that speeds up Nez is to give his party Filch. Remember that Filch can explore as well in the sewer pipes, and he will climb up there faster then Nez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Frenchville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Dice Brewing! Check out this new game by Board&Dice! B-)
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I failed miserably at Chapter 4 our first two times playing it. All it required was a change-up of the mice in the two parties to be wildly successful. As Ken states, Filch should definitely be with Nez. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Keele
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried Chapter 4 again today and the comparison in our success was like night and day. Last time we got creamed and this time it was a walk in the park. Having Tilda with Nez helped a bit, and we used some new strategies that were effective. Seems like if you get some good or bad luck early in the game, it really affects you later on. When things are going poorly it's really hard to recover, and if you can generate some momentum you can cruise on through.

P.S. We had Collin's party wait to enter the forge until Nez's party was also ready. Maybe this wasn't the intended way to play, but we just didn't see how Collin, Lily, and Maginos would survive a double encounter (plus surge) for multiple turns until Nez & Co. arrived to save the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rules forcing you to explore to the next tile. So while you probably have to know the chapter a bit to realize the need for coordination, the party getting near the forge tile first can always wait for the other party to catch up. The story of the scenario even encourages this, as both parties agreed to meet each other in the forge. One important rule to remember is that one cheese is added to the minion wheel if there are no minions on the board after a complete turn, not on the tile.

So we played that Nez's and Collin's groups had decided upon a signal to let each other know they were ready. Collin's group had to wait a few turns (they were very early), but since they hadn't heard the tapping of the pipes that was Nez's ready signal, they waited. Once the other group was done in the pipe room, they made noise on the metal pipes and entered the forge. Collin heard the signal and entered immediately after. The rats slaving away on the steam beast were hit from two sides and quickly bit the dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maiochi
Brazil
flag msg tools
Well, I disliked that I was able to win the game only with Collin`s party. 3 rats were more then enough to kill the doubled encouter plus surge, all we had to do was spending 9 cheeses with Maginos to kill the minions. I will play Chapter 4 again and I will certanly use Filch and Maginos with Nez so they can speed up a bit. I will also wait for the two parties reach the Forge tile together and I will probably add one encounter card (a third one) to make it more chalengable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alezzfloripa wrote:
Well, I disliked that I was able to win the game only with Collin`s party. 3 rats were more then enough to kill the doubled encouter plus surge, all we had to do was spending 9 cheeses with Maginos to kill the minions. I will play Chapter 4 again and I will certanly use Filch and Maginos with Nez so they can speed up a bit. I will also wait for the two parties reach the Forge tile together and I will probably add one encounter card (a third one) to make it more chalengable

Remember that you can only use 1 ability per mouse iniative card, so I am not sure how Maginos spent 9 cheese to kill all of the minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.